PDA

View Full Version : Magma Molds?

sdiver40
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
First off I would like to say hello to everyone.
I been lurking and reading here for a while now and love the wealth of knowledge you folks have posted.
I been looking for a boolit mold for my 1894CB Rifle. I want something in 44cal. between 180 - 210 gr. RNFP in .432 dia.
Seems Magma is the only place that offers anything in this line. Or at least that I can find? Any thoughts on this mold or suggestions
As to where I can locate such a mold without having it special made?
Thanks
Tom

454PB
04-07-2008, 10:24 PM
First, welcome to the forum!

If you want a plain base, Lee makes the 429-200-RF. It may not cast .429", most of my Lee .44 moulds cast about .431"

runfiverun
04-08-2008, 12:00 AM
magma's molds are topquality
if you are not going to try for top velocity
i have several and the only things that i don't like about them
are they have too narrow of a lube groove and they have a bevel base
if i was to look for a 200 gr 44 mold i would get a rcbs mold
look on midways site, if you have a master caster it can be set up by them
at magma to work on it.

iirc magma may also sell them set up for their casters also

Jon K
04-08-2008, 01:45 AM
sdiver40,

Welcome aboard, Try NEI, tthey will make any mould they have to your specs, bigger,smaller,longer, GC, No GC, PB, BB however you want it. Here's the link:
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html

Jon

mtgrs737
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay!

sdiver40
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the good information and the warm welcome.

Runfiverun I have been looking at midway’s molds and in fact I have had one on order for almost a month. It’s not really the dia. I wanted but was willing to try it and see just what size it threw out. But each time it is up for shipping, they move the shipping date back another 10 days. :( In fact almost ever 44 cal. Mold they have is on back order.
That’s why I was looking into another place to order one from. Maybe find something that is closer in size while I’m at it?

Jon K Thanks for the link. I’ll look it over here shortly and see what they have.
Thanks again and have a great day
Tom

Southron Sanders
04-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I can vouch for Magma moulds-they are TOP QUALITY. I own a half-dozen of them and have never had a complaint. They cast BEAUTIFUL bullets!

GabbyM
04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
My Lee six cavity 200 gr RNFP throws boolits from .4315 to .432. Most have about a .0005" run out.
I've a .4312 size die. Lyman stamped it .430. I sent it back and they sent it rite back to me . So I bought an RCBS .430 die that gives me a .4301 boolit. argh!
Also have a very nice RCBS 44-240-SWC gas check boolit mold I bid at auction from a nice member from this site. It throws a pair of .434" weighing 231 grains in Lyman #2 alloy.
My SAECO 240gr TCFP plain base drops a .431 boolit.
I could send you a free sample in the white (as cast) or lubed with White Label Carnauba Red or his BAC and sized with my .4312 die. Also have .430 or .429 dies.
And yes you guessed it. I'll stick a business card in the “free sample” package.

Send me a PM if interested.

Hope I've not Wesley Sniped any Forum rules. Since I've not asked for compensation of any type.
I can't help but be Gabby. Just my nature.

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2008, 06:21 AM
youll probably want to steer clear of the rcbs 200 rf. That bullet is designed for the 4440 and cast out of the mold at about .429 and will usually be to small for a 44 mag.

44 WCF
04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a Magma 225 GR RNFP but ordered it with plain base, instead fo the bevel base. It works wonders in my 1894CB. It is very accurate and no problems feeding. In my Master Caster I use 32 lbs WW, 7oz Tin and 3 lbs pure lead. I had better luck with the little softer alloy than straigh WW or WW and 2% Tin. I bought 8 lbs of Solder with 4% Silver at garage sale for a buck. Using that to make the 2%, Now that made some pretty bullets. But anyway, that Magma plain base is a favorite of mine. I had a Lyman 429215 Gas Check mould converted by Magma, and have almost 5000 of those bullets, but now use the Magma plain base unless I'm really stepping up the charge. It saves lot of time not gas checking and they squirt through the Star sizer easier than the gas check bullets.
I also shoot it in my 44 Special Smith, 44-40 94CB and 44-40 Smith that is Texas Wagon Train commerative.
I shot many commercial cast of the same mould with bevel base. It's splitting hairs in my guns as far as most accurate untill you get towards max loads then the plain base seemed to be just a tad more accurate. Key for me has been learning the right size for each firearm and to avoid using alloy that is too hard.

If I were to order again, I would order the bevel base, it loads faster in my progressive with less case neck expansion, All of this just my best tricks right now. Will change most likely, next full moon.

Good Luck
44 WCF

Shotgun Luckey
06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Try Graff and Sons at:

http://www.grafs.com/

I've had good luck ordering from them