View Full Version : I guess campers are designed to self destruct at some point.

Tackleberry41
10-14-2015, 02:34 PM
I see so many campers for sale, but seldom very old. Ones you do see for sale have 'issues'. I guess the only way the average not so mechanically inclined person can have one is to trade or sell off when they start having problems, and get a new one. Repairs at a shop would eat someone alive. My mom bought a Jayco, supposed to be a better brand. Keeps it here at my house for when she visits. It has been just one headache after another. And nothing is easy to fix. I know designed to be assembled as cheap as possible, fixing anything was never a thought. A water leak seems like its pretty much a death sentence for a camper. You can seal everything up outside, but once its inside your pretty much done. To salvage the thing, I guess I will have to spend a ton of time gutting the front room of it. Selling it with obvious water damage is not going to work. Not doing anything means pretty much just hauling it to the dump.

376Steyr
10-14-2015, 02:43 PM
In my experience you have summed campers up. Built as cheap as possible; have to be flimsy to keep the weight down; not designed for weather worse than a misty day in early autumn. If I expected to keep a camper usable with a minimum of repairs, I'd store it indoors in a climate controlled space.

starmac
10-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Pretty much, unless you get the ones with aluminum frames. They still have to be repaired and are a total pain to work on, but at least the structure stays sound.

jcren
10-14-2015, 02:57 PM
I saw one that came unhitched on the interstate once. Thought it was some kind of cardboard and foam shipping box until I saw the frame. Not much structure there.

RogerDat
10-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Molded fiberglass shell campers are pretty solid, many of those continue to see use for decades. EggCamper is made here in Michigan. There is Scamp made in Minn. and Casita in Texas I think. There are others. One or two pieces of molded fiberglass tend not to leak, don't rot if they do leak. Stuff in the camper wears out and can be expensive because they are specialized appliances and devices but that is true of any camper. Or any specialized equipment.

Stick built camper 4 or 5 good years followed by a variable amount of usable years depending on storage conditions and maintenance done.

Remember those old UHaul fiberglass campers? Many of them are still on the road.

Tackleberry41
10-14-2015, 03:24 PM
You still see the old airstreams, but were built in a day when things were built to last.

I understand its a camper and weight is an issue. But most of it is just all based on cost. Everything I mess with on it is a major undertaking. Not because its hard, just no thought at all as to how you might work on it. Screws from angles that are impossible to get at unless half the camper isn't there. Theres a leak in a line going to the shower, but short of destroying the bathroom, no way to get at it. I resort to a drip pan in the compartment under it. The 12v pump started leaking, the pressure switch, but requires the entire pump be replaced. So the lines had to be blocked off to use the water. Theres no way my mother could tow it anywhere and use it. There is always a new headache to deal with. Stuff that would bleed you white paying a shop. So guess people use em a while, the headaches start and they take a huge hit trading them in, or try to sell them. She looked at alot of junk before buying this one. Its hard to take a huge loss on something hauling it to the dump. Ill caulk the heck out of every seam in it. Do some sort of rebuild on the front room where it can be used again. But I do know I will never ever buy a camper, I thought the boat was bad. .

bdicki
10-14-2015, 03:29 PM
I think the sliders on the new campers are prone to leak. This rots the flimsy wood structure and it's done for after 10 years.

waksupi
10-14-2015, 03:31 PM
For the kind of use she does, it may be more cost effective to build a tiny house.

http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

randyrat
10-14-2015, 03:55 PM
I know the plumbing sucks on campers..All the so called tubing is a special size for campers, not your average hardware store pipes and tubing..Yeah, and look out if you have a water leak, shell we say ROT...The carpet or flooring is all put on in the factory and everything is built or added on on top..I had one I just ran new flex tubing (forgot what it is called)

dilly
10-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Yeah the tiny houses are really pretty interesting ideas. I am no greenie hippy but high efficiency and minimal waste do appeal to me.

What is there in a tiny house that is any better than a camper, though?

Tackleberry41
10-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh I made offers to my mother, but she is set in her ways. She was gonna get a camper, so she got a camper. But she is not the one who has to fix it either. She wants to live near her grandson, but would be much 'easier' for us to move to where she is vs the other way around. Even tho she wants out of the trailer park she is in. Hard to believe the lot rent on a mobile home can be more than a house payment, and will go up another 5% on Jan 1. Selling is not easy since its Fla, and in an old people park 55 and up only, really cuts down on your potential buyers.

When it comes to campers, as I said no idea how your average non mechanical person can keep one going without a swiss bank account to pay for it. The sliders, not sure if its better to leave them in or out. Seem to leak either way.

Tackleberry41
10-14-2015, 04:46 PM
But there are some advantages to a cabin vs camper. First it can be built properly, and everything is readily available at a store in town vs digging up special camper parts. But the down side is it tends to be considered a permanent structure, so requires a septic system, may even need its own electric meter. A camper is not a permanent structure so virtually no rules, well at least where I live.

The camper has gotten to a point, I cringe when she says she is going to visit. Not becasue I don't want her to. But I know I will have to hear endlessly about the newest problem with the camper. Sometimes Im tempted to burn the dang thing.

starmac
10-14-2015, 04:53 PM
I ran into a guy a few years ago that was buying up all the mobile home frames he could find. He was building houses on them, bypassing many laws on permanent structures and tax codes on same.

jcwit
10-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Buy one of the large prebuilt sheds like Menards sell, insulate it and panel or drywall and partition the inside.

Bad Water Bill
10-14-2015, 06:04 PM
When I talked to my local junk yard about my worn out camper they refused to even look at it.

I ended up stripping it down to the frame making camp fires out of everything that would burn then towing the bare frame to a farmer that said he would take it.

Mk42gunner
10-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Do some looking around on the net for ideas. I have seen pictures and videos of people that built tiny houses on trailer frames, which quite frankly is a camper that isn't called a camper. The upside is better construction so it should last a while. The downside would be that it would be heavy and take a lot of fuel to move, if you actually took it anywhere to use as a camper.

Depending on how the laws are where you are, if you build it on skids, it isn't a permanent building so it wouldn't affect your property taxes nearly as much.

I have thought about doing the portable building thing as a cabin, since I am going to have to do something about my falling down old house sooner or later. I think it would be a better choice than a trailer house.

Robert

Tackleberry41
10-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Largely its not really up to me, it is a woman being dealt with. They tend to be fickle. Her set in stone habits is what keeps her from staying in the house for any length of time, and her husband. She can't sleep in the same room with him due to his snoring, he can't live near a cemetery as the dead people complain. I offered this or that, nope she was gonna get a camper.

What I took apart, at a shop it would be headed for the junk yard. Nothing I cant fix, but will be a bit obvious I did, I have no intention of using the same flimsy paneling. I have some of that silicone roof coating in the garage, I'll seal the leaks. But I saw no way to get the cabinets out of it without destroying them, there were screws from the back side, only way they could be put in is if there was no metal skin on it. I have no idea who taught them to put the carpet in, wraps around the edge of the flooring, between the wall frame and deck. But the deck has to come up anyways, fortunately in the front over the 5th wheel part. They didn't put down the deck then the wall frame on top.

Its built to be used a while, then disposed of and you buy another one. Jayco is supposed to be a better brand, guess it really means not quite as poorly built as others.

Geezer in NH
10-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Rent one

funnyjim014
10-14-2015, 07:11 PM
What do you expect for 30k? My wife keeps saying she wants a camper but she dont seem to get how poorly there built and over priced

labradigger1
10-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Campers are like boats, a hole you throw money at and seldom used.
For retired couples, that's a different story

Bad Water Bill
10-14-2015, 07:57 PM
How many folks have any idea how to hitch up or handle a camper before they purchase it and head for the highway?

There are several things your dealer should explain to you and make sure you fully understand the reasons AND the consequences if you fail to do so.

xtphreak
10-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Huh, I'm staying four days a week out of state on my job, in a 1988 motorhome just like the one I had back in 1995 when I got laid off at Savannah River Site.
The only difference is one I had in '95 was brown and said Winnebago Super Chief, this one is beige & says Itasca (by Winnebago) Suncruiser.
Steel tube frame, steel floor joists, fiberglass skin bonded to insulation, "basement model" with pass-through storage underneath.
31 foot, rear queen bedroom.
Plenty of storage, 4kw onan, had two air conditioning units, but the old units only had a 30 amp service, so you have a selector switch where you can run the front or the back but not both @ the same time
I bought a 35 ft 50 amp pigtail for a hundred bucks off Amazon, din rail mounted breakers, and rewired it one afternoon so that I could run each AC unit off of its own 20 amp breaker @ the same time, plus plenty for microwave, coffee maker, etc.
Basically the 50 amp pigtail is a 240v 4 wire (3-6ga 1-8ga), so I have two 50 amp 110 volt feeds. Just like a house panel, I have one AC on each 110v leg.
The park had the 50 amp outlet already for the newer units, only if I'm boondocking on the Onan will I be limited to one AC.
Not too bad work on, had a few issues & fixed them, totally comfortable.
The converter breakers were cooked after 27 yrs, so I pulled the old buss bar and refit 5 din rail breakers. Fit perfectly horizontal vs. vertical!!
I need to work on the LP furnace before it gets cold again this year, but with the park I'm staying in, electricity is included in the rent so I can always run a couple of space heaters if I need to.
The engine had just been replaced with a crate 454 less than a thousand miles on it, I really lucked out on the deal.
The moral of this story is, not all older campers are bad, and not all campers are bad to work on.

Plate plinker
10-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Having built both wood frame units and laminated aluminum from with fiberglass sides I can tell you I would not touch a wood framed rv. They are cheap cheap cheap and as you might guess lower quality workers build those IMO.

The dealers do not seem to mention that the roof should be inspected yearly and resealed if necessary. That caulk stuff is "special" so it does not harden with time supposedly.

Tackleberry41 you can PM if you need advice.

Baja_Traveler
10-14-2015, 08:53 PM
For the past year and a half I've been spending weekdays living in an 18' travel trailer while on a job in Los Angeles. Mine has held up just fine (Four Winds) with only one issue - a leaking fitting on the toilet that was easily fixed. Luckily it happened on a dry summer weekend, so the frame dried out quick with no visible damage or rot. I actually like it - way better than throwing money at a crappy hotel, and the money my company is giving me to stay up here has paid off the trailer in full. I bought it used for $8k and it was only used a few weekends a year so looked like new. I think one thing that has helped the longevity of my trailer is that I have never used the shower in it, instead using the facility here in the RV park. Less moisture in the unit to cause havoc...

xtphreak
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
The absolute best thing to seal the roof with is Eternabond sealing tape. check the RV forums and you'll read about it.
I've got a one piece aluminum roof, I sealed all the seams with Alumibond tape, it's like the real aluminum HVAC tape, but thicker and with a micro polymer sealant / adhesive.
Expensive, but I don't think I'll ever have any problem with leaks.

AZ-JIM
10-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Mine sure has been a PITA the last couple years, but for a popup that is stored outside in the AZ climate, and being 15 years old it's not in too bad shape. I can't afford a new one so I keep doing minor repairs as needed. And yeah, water system repairs....."fun".....

az-jim

jcwit
10-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Largely its not really up to me, it is a woman being dealt with. They tend to be fickle. Her set in stone habits is what keeps her from staying in the house for any length of time, and her husband. She can't sleep in the same room with him due to his snoring, he can't live near a cemetery as the dead people complain. I offered this or that, nope she was gonna get a camper.

What I took apart, at a shop it would be headed for the junk yard. Nothing I cant fix, but will be a bit obvious I did, I have no intention of using the same flimsy paneling. I have some of that silicone roof coating in the garage, I'll seal the leaks. But I saw no way to get the cabinets out of it without destroying them, there were screws from the back side, only way they could be put in is if there was no metal skin on it. I have no idea who taught them to put the carpet in, wraps around the edge of the flooring, between the wall frame and deck. But the deck has to come up anyways, fortunately in the front over the 5th wheel part. They didn't put down the deck then the wall frame on top.

Its built to be used a while, then disposed of and you buy another one. Jayco is supposed to be a better brand, guess it really means not quite as poorly built as others.

Metal skin????? That's old school to say the least! Jayco's are built approx. a mile and a half from my front door.

You try to build a camping trailer the old way and have it hold up going down the kind of roads we have here in the Northern states and the roof not leak, or the water lines not leak. Be glad the gas lines are leaking.

Bogart
10-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Huh, I'm staying four days a week out of state on my job, in a 1988 motorhome just like the one I had back in 1995 when I got laid off at Savannah River Site.
The only difference is one I had in '95 was brown and said Winnebago Super Chief, this one is beige & says Itasca (by Winnebago) Suncruiser.
Steel tube frame, steel floor joists, fiberglass skin bonded to insulation, "basement model" with pass-through storage underneath.
31 foot, rear queen bedroom.
Plenty of storage, 4kw onan, had two air conditioning units, but the old units only had a 30 amp service, so you have a selector switch where you can run the front or the back but not both @ the same time
I bought a 35 ft 50 amp pigtail for a hundred bucks off Amazon, din rail mounted breakers, and rewired it one afternoon so that I could run each AC unit off of its own 20 amp breaker @ the same time, plus plenty for microwave, coffee maker, etc.
Basically the 50 amp pigtail is a 240v 4 wire (3-6ga 1-8ga), so I have two 50 amp 110 volt feeds. Just like a house panel, I have one AC on each 110v leg.
The park had the 50 amp outlet already for the newer units, only if I'm boondocking on the Onan will I be limited to one AC.
Not too bad work on, had a few issues & fixed them, totally comfortable.
The converter breakers were cooked after 27 yrs, so I pulled the old buss bar and refit 5 din rail breakers. Fit perfectly horizontal vs. vertical!!
I need to work on the LP furnace before it gets cold again this year, but with the park I'm staying in, electricity is included in the rent so I can always run a couple of space heaters if I need to.
The engine had just been replaced with a crate 454 less than a thousand miles on it, I really lucked out on the deal.
The moral of this story is, not all older campers are bad, and not all campers are bad to work on.

There is a huge difference between a camper and a motor home. Motor homes are much better built because they are an actual vehicle

Frank46
10-14-2015, 10:48 PM
I had a travel trailer many years ago. Had it on a lot in one of those summer places up in the poconos. Every summer I'd go up there and get it ready for the wife and kids. When they came back the complaints started. this don't work or that don't work. Finally after about 6 years or so sold the lot and trailer to my sister in law. Every summer would seal the roof, doors, joints had to replace the propane fridge with an electric one and the list goes on. Frank

Plate plinker
10-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Sounds right frank I did QC for a year and can tell you everything they use is the cheapest junk money can buy stoves furnace you name cheap cheap cheap.

My advice is to buy a stripped down shell and build it up inside yourself.

Install real plumbing, cooktop, water fixtures, actual receptacles not the fire hazards the industry uses.

The Ac units are okay I'll give them that.

MT Gianni
10-14-2015, 11:24 PM
I have a 19 yr old 5th wheel we bought 10 years ago to live in while we waited a month to close on a house. Little or minimal problems, it gets drained when not in use. I would have to scrap it if the refrigerator went out as it would cost more than the trailer did. I do most repairs around the house and have done minimal on this. It has worked well for us.

Tackleberry41
10-15-2015, 10:21 AM
It is pretty flimsy construction. The metal skin in front isn't secured to the wood frame in any way. They may have some sort of engineering reason, or just cheaper to not use the extra screws. And you have to love those scotch locks as we always called them the clamp together electrical connectors are everywhere. Yes easier and therefore cheaper, but hardly the best way to do it. Unfortunately it seems anymore cost is the only deciding factor in every business decision anymore. I have seen some mind bogglingly stupid decisions made in some pretty major companies I worked for, it was always about money, never seemed to be any consideration for quality or anything else, and no thought into the long term, just money right now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't know anything about old campers...but there is one for sale, kinda local to me (Cokato, MN), listed on a facebook garage sale page at about 3 grand. It looks to be just shy of 20' long, but length isn't advertised, but it is about in as perfect condition (inside and out) as a 38 yr old camper can be, according to the posted photos.

For Sale: 1977 Play-Mor Camper.
One owner. Bought new in 1977. Bought a new camper this year and no longer using this one. A great camper for 1977 model. Always under shed during summer and winter.
Sleeps 6. Refrigerator, Stove, Furnace, and Electric brakes all work. Comes with toilet and shower. Also comes with inverter.
Roof does not leak. Comes with 2 LP tanks and spare tire.
Would make a good hunting camper.

jcwit
10-15-2015, 11:05 AM
You should try to start up an RV Manufacturing Co. and be in competition with the ones already being built without implementing any cost cutting measures.

Remember, you're up against the big boys who already have the largest share of the market.

And regarding the lack of more screws, every screw makes a hole, which may cause another leak.

What's the date of manufacture of this unit?

Tackleberry41
10-15-2015, 01:08 PM
I want to say it an 07 Jayco. Oh I have no illusions that if one tried to build quality campers in the country, you would be out of business pretty quick. Way to many like my mother who love a wal mart economy, always about the price, never the quality. Yes rich people will pay extra, but thats usually just for the status of paying more. Most people won't pay a couple extra grand for a better camper that will last longer. I went thru it trying to build guitars, few would pay extra for the better product. They could get one off a website for 1/2 the cost, yea then go spend the extra money fixing it to be a quality instrument. Even then it wasn't as good, as they took so many short cuts with the wood to build it out of. Like with guns there are some who will pay extra for the better work, but most won't.

But I thought the boat I had was bad, a hole in the water to throw money in, but there is less to go wrong with a boat vs a camper. Ill just stick with a tent.

Rick Hodges
10-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Haha.....tents leak too.....but they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

osteodoc08
10-15-2015, 03:00 PM
My ex and I bought a Primetime travel trailer. Had it for a few years and was trouble free. We camped in it quite frequently and enjoyed every minute of it. I sold it off after we divorced as I didn't use it near enough to justify keeping it around. I kept it cleaned and kept it on a slight grade to make sure the water ran off. Kept all the seals lubricated and cleaned. Basic maintenance really. Not sure how it would have held up long term. It was aluminum framed.

1bluehorse
10-15-2015, 03:13 PM
I own a 1969 Kit Companion, 21 ft. It was bought new by my wife's parents. It is NOT an expensive camp trailer by any means. Just a run of the mill "chevy" type. The only thing I do to it every year or so is seal the roof joints with a "snow seal". Everything in it still works just fine. No leaks, and no water damage anywhere in the thing. Maybe it's because these older models don't have all the "upgrades" that the new stuff has. Kinda like comparing a 69 Ford to a 2015. The 69 will be a lot less aggravating to work on and a whole lot easier.

historicfirearms
10-15-2015, 06:50 PM
I bought a 1977 Airstream this summer as a project. It is in decent shape but had a few leaks that I have addressed. On these campers there is an inner and outer skin. The plywood subfloor is samwiched between the walls and the frame. So, if you need to replace any of the plywood, you have to take off the inner wall skin to get everything apart. It's kind of a pita, but if I get another 38 years out of this rebuild, I will be long dead. It's amazing how some of these old airstreams just keep on going. Maintenance on any camper is going to be more than a stationary home. It's just the compromise of having a home that is light enough to tow down the road.

Plate plinker
10-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Interesting fact about airstream is they do not use online inspectors. The workers who build them care about the product and it shows.

rbertalotto
10-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Amazing what people pay for absolute junk! I just bought a Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler. In every cubby hole there is saw dust, pieces of wood and aluminum cut from the trailer for access. You'd think they would at least clean up the junk during construction.

I needed to disassemble the sleeping area for a modification and I would estimate 75% of all the fasteners (staples / screws) didn't find purchase.

And don't even get me started on the wiring...........Various colors of wire for ground and 12V +. Some grounds are black, green or red.......some "hots" are green black or red!!!

The plumbing leaked at every trap. The forgot to tighten any of the connections.

And they get nearly $20K for these things.

Pickup truck campers are even worse. Smaller area and everything is simply shoved into place.

I just saw a review on a Pu truck camper for $60,000...........How in God's green earth they can get an aluminum box with a few accouterments to $60K I'll never know.....

Hickory
10-16-2015, 09:09 AM
There are three basic and common methods of camping.

1) Tent
2) Camper/motorhome
3) Hotel/motel

When weighing the cost to use ratio of these three methods it is clear that the cheapest per money invested per night used is as following.

1) Tent
2) Hotel/motel
3) Camper/motorhome

In regards to comfort that includes ease of use from the moment you stop for the day, to your actual moment of relaxing. I think it would be as follows.

1) Hotel/motel
2) Camper/motor home
3)Tent

These are somethings to consider when camping as to which is best for you & your wife, remember your wife's opinion has more value than yours, as far as a happy outcome of you camping experience.

BrassMagnet
10-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Molded fiberglass shell campers are pretty solid, many of those continue to see use for decades. EggCamper is made here in Michigan. There is Scamp made in Minn. and Casita in Texas I think. There are others. One or two pieces of molded fiberglass tend not to leak, don't rot if they do leak. Stuff in the camper wears out and can be expensive because they are specialized appliances and devices but that is true of any camper. Or any specialized equipment.

Stick built camper 4 or 5 good years followed by a variable amount of usable years depending on storage conditions and maintenance done.

Remember those old UHaul fiberglass campers? Many of them are still on the road.

I agree pretty much with this. You forgot the Burro which I believe is made in Canada.

Mine is a 2005 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe. Ten years and still running strong.

jcwit
10-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Amazing what people pay for absolute junk! I just bought a Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler. In every cubby hole there is saw dust, pieces of wood and aluminum cut from the trailer for access. You'd think they would at least clean up the junk during construction.

I needed to disassemble the sleeping area for a modification and I would estimate 75% of all the fasteners (staples / screws) didn't find purchase.

And don't even get me started on the wiring...........Various colors of wire for ground and 12V +. Some grounds are black, green or red.......some "hots" are green black or red!!!

The plumbing leaked at every trap. The forgot to tighten any of the connections.

And they get nearly $20K for these things.

Pickup truck campers are even worse. Smaller area and everything is simply shoved into place.

I just saw a review on a Pu truck camper for $60,000...........How in God's green earth they can get an aluminum box with a few accouterments to $60K I'll never know.....

I've thought much the same about many products. How in Heavens name can they ask and get $300 to $400 for a pair of eye glasses?? An ounce or 2 of plastic or even less if metal and two lenses that are now mas produced.

How bout the price of new Harley's, made from parts outsourced from overseas, ya sure the all American cycle?

Regarding the camper, check out where all the add ons come from.

Then we wonder why folks give up and buy products from over seas to save money.

Kraschenbirn
10-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Wife and I were back-country tent campers for over 40 years, living out of the back of a 4x4 for a week or two at a stretch, but age-related issues (like sciatica and osteoarthritis) have put an end to our long-haul driving in a vehicle with off-road suspension. We bought a small Jayco pop-up last spring and, so far, are quite happy with it. Over the summer, we put about 5K miles on it, including a 2000-mile haul from Central Illinois to the Black Hills and back, without any significant problems. Having been 'primitive' campers for all those years, our small (10-footer) with minimum amenities (Keep It Simple and Stupid!) is a major step-up in comfort and convenience.

Being a retired general contractor, I know how things are constructed and, IMO, the Jayco is about average for what's on market today. As has been mentioned, their QC isn't the best but our dealer was really good about taking care of everything on my 'punch list' after our first 'shake-down' run. BTW...I've seen a 10-foot Jayco pop-up close to 20 years old that's been pulled back and forth across the country from Nova Scotia to Mesa Verde and about everywhere in between. It was just passed down by one of the original owners (her husband passed away last year) to a grand-daughter and her family. Yes, it's been meticulously maintained and the canvas replaced once but I wouldn't be afraid to hook-up and go with it...then, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a retired contractor with a lot of years pulling (and maintaining) equipment trailers, too.

Bill

starmac
10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Working construction, I used to live in campers a lot. It has been my experience that the ones that sat unused for months at a time give more trouble than ones used daily.
Like everything else, all are not equal, some are built much better than others, and probably the mobile mansions of today with all there fancy accessories are more prone to needed and costly maintenance.
The industry has went to larger and larger campers, with that comes either weight or cuts, the larger well built travel trailers are not even actually legal to pull with the standard 1 ton pickup anymore.
There is simply no way to build a 40 footer with 5 slide outs to compete weight wise with a well built 28 footer, then add fake fireplaces, chandeliers, washer and dryers, and french doors, it all comes with a price.

Plate plinker
10-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Forrest River or (THE RIVER) as the workers call it are notoriously horrible with the lack of quality control. Former coworker of mine used to work for a dealer he said it was astounding how bad the FR products were when the came in.

jcwit
10-16-2015, 05:56 PM
Then too folks, the manufacturer only build what the public will buy. If this isn't true the dealer lots would be full of unsold units.

garym1a2
10-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Problem is many buyers want to pull that 28-32 footer with a 1/4 ton truck or SUV hence the goal of ultra lightwieght!
Myself would like to see a 24 footer 5th wheel type with no slide-outs to mess with.

Working construction, I used to live in campers a lot. It has been my experience that the ones that sat unused for months at a time give more trouble than ones used daily.
Like everything else, all are not equal, some are built much better than others, and probably the mobile mansions of today with all there fancy accessories are more prone to needed and costly maintenance.
The industry has went to larger and larger campers, with that comes either weight or cuts, the larger well built travel trailers are not even actually legal to pull with the standard 1 ton pickup anymore.
There is simply no way to build a 40 footer with 5 slide outs to compete weight wise with a well built 28 footer, then add fake fireplaces, chandeliers, washer and dryers, and french doors, it all comes with a price.

Superfly
10-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Give me a 48' van trailer air ride that has been converted into a camper with real everything Let me hook it up to my semi and then you will have a great living space real heat real shower real toilet real fridge and stove and real beds. Hell you will still be cheaper then buying this new over priced scrap.

Hell give me a drop deck trailer with 19.5 tires on it turned into a camper that would save some height issues for towing in the wind.

starmac
10-18-2015, 02:11 PM
I always thought a 48 or 53 ft converted dropdeck van would be the berries as a toy hauler type travel trailer. Make the back room large enough for a bronco or similar type vehicle, room enough above it for an aluminum boat or canoe, motorcycle of choice behind the cab. Hmmmm Life would be good.

The last travel trailer I had was a 40 ft teton. I had to have the semi on the jobs anyway, so I just pulled it with the KW from job to job.

Plate plinker
10-18-2015, 09:29 PM
That semi trailer is basically what NASCAR teams run. There is a outfit north of Bristol IN called Renegade that makes custom rigs for anybody that wished to spend the money.