PDA

View Full Version : Heavy 44 cal boolit for S&W M29

hunter74
10-14-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm looking for a heavy bullet mould for my model 29 revolver. Since the cylinder of the Smith is a bit shorter than Ruger and some others it would be great with some help to choose a mould. I want to use my Mark-X for casting so it has to be an auto mould.

I have looked at the moulds at NVM and this seems interesting N44367BB. Is this to long for a M29 cylinder in standard Magnum cases?

Measurements for the boolit can be found here.
http://www.nvballistics.com/bullets/index.php

Thanks!

hunter74
10-14-2015, 08:02 AM
The weight I'm looking for is approximately 280 gr with linotype. Boolit designs I'm looking for are RN, RNFP not SWS.

youngmman
10-14-2015, 10:06 AM
The LBT WFN is superb in terms of accuracy and real killing power. Veral can provide it in any weight you want. I have been using it in 245 and 220 grain for years on game and targets in 44mag and special the 629. The H&G 503 (Keith) is a close second but still second in my view. I have only seen it in 250 grain, at least that's what the H&G mold drops.

hunter74
10-14-2015, 05:41 PM
I already use a NOE Keith design boolit. It weighs 250 gr with my magnum alloy.

nockhunter
10-14-2015, 09:12 PM
I think the 300g WFN will be in the 280 ballpark with linotype.

Mike

Mal Paso
10-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Plenty of room.

N44367BB looks like a tumble lube. Not much in the way of drive bands to hold the rifling if you push it. Didn't see anything on their site in that weight other than SWC. The RNFP the Devastatator was based on would be perfect but I don't see anything for machines

I have yet to see anyone talking about NVM. If you go with them please tell us about it.

dkf
10-15-2015, 06:58 PM
The Ranch Dog 265 would be a good choice. It is not the heaviest bullet available obviously but it penetrates very well and has a decent sized metplat. NOE has hollowpoint versions of the design also if you desire.

Mal Paso
10-15-2015, 11:30 PM
The Ranch Dog 265 would be a good choice. It is not the heaviest bullet available obviously but it penetrates very well and has a decent sized metplat. NOE has hollowpoint versions of the design also if you desire.

The limitation is the Mark-X casting machine. Hardline Industries claims they are making a comeback but I can't get their web site to verify. Magna's 44 selection is bad too.

Have Tom at Accurate cut a 2c Iron Mold and have it adapted to the Mark-X. Maybe Ballisti-cast would sell blank blocks. I bought a mold from BC last year, good quality, just nothing in heavy 44. Ask Tom first.

dkf
10-16-2015, 12:03 AM
I am not up to speed on the Mark-X then. I assumed you could just bolt on the 2 plates in the handle slots and change the sprue plate.

hunter74
10-16-2015, 05:37 AM
Northern Valley Machine is very fast customer friendly and fast on their email so I can contact them directly regarding my question. If I understood them correct they now produce the Mark-X for Ballisti-Cast. I have delt with NVM all the time and have nothing but kind words to say about doing business with them.

The potint about the previous mentioned design is appreciated. I'm looking for a heavy boolit that could be pushed a bit but also could work at moderat speeds at some range up to 200m.

I have the impression that some Smiths like RN, TC and RF designs better than SWCs. Maybe just something in my head but RF designs seems to work great in many cartridges and calibers.

Mal Paso
10-16-2015, 09:57 AM
RF bullets have fewer feeding problems and self center with alignment issues. I like the MP version of the H&G 503 for distance. It is the 44 Keith designed after the 44 Magnum cartridge and has a .1" front drive band. That puts the drive band just inside the throats of my Colt and Ruger and very close in the S&W 629.

The 629 had cylinder throats .429" and tighter. Those were reamed to .4313". Accuracy improved and I don't spend time cleaning the bore. A quick brush and a dry patch, no solvent. I don't shoot jackets and S&W has said that's what the tight throats are for. .4325" is the actual SAAMI Spec for 44 Mag throats.

Whatever your choice I think you will do better with heavier drive bands at 200m. I would ask NVM if they couldn't do a conventional LFN or RFN with 1 crimp and 1 lube groove.

dkf
10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Sounds like you are looking at throwing a decent chunk of money on 4 molds for your auto caster. Maybe it would be good to pick up a few different designs in hand casting molds to see what your revolver prefers before making the final decision. Or maybe that is your plan already. I am sure you could sell any surplus molds here to recoup some costs.

hunter74
10-17-2015, 04:12 AM
To pick up a Lee mould and try out the 300 WFN doesn't cost much so that could be a great idea. That could work without the GC also, I guess.

I think I have read something on this forum that the mentioned boolit likes some speed and don't perform that great with weak to medium loads.....?

dubber123
10-17-2015, 08:38 AM
To pick up a Lee mould and try out the 300 WFN doesn't cost much so that could be a great idea. That could work without the GC also, I guess.

I think I have read something on this forum that the mentioned boolit likes some speed and don't perform that great with weak to medium loads.....?

I have never gotten great accuracy from the LEE at slower speeds. Run them faster and they can shoot very well. A couple points on the LEE. My copy ran 315 grains cast from WW's, and the crimp groove is almost non existant. I milled the GC portion off mine, and the result was a 290 gr. PB. No testing done yet. Mine casts very round, but barely breaks .430", another point to consider if your gun requires a larger boolit.

dkf
10-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Some want a gas check for a 300gr+ .44mag some don't. I think you will find you can do without the gas check. NOE makes runs of the Lee design, he usually makes some molds with GC and PB in the same mold so you could try each. Plus the NOE will drop the size they say it will and is a better quality mold.

You may want to look at a solid version of the 432640. (NOE 432-290) The Metplat is not as big as the Lee design but it will be a little under 300gr when fully dressed.

MT Chambers
10-17-2015, 11:51 AM
If Smiths don't like SWCs tell Elmer about it!

hunter74
10-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I already have Elmers '421. The 250 gr version made by NOE. Works great but want to try a different design for a heavier mould. Noeone can question Elmer Keith and his doings nor Al' s qualifications making moulds. They are truly a joy to cast with, but for speed it of course falls short of a casting machine.

hunter74
11-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm still looking for a mould that would work for me and most others. I sell a lot of boolits to so if i would work in most revolvers it would be great.

Any thoughts on this one? http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-295B-D.png

A mould from Tom should work on my casting machine also I guess.

hunter74
11-08-2015, 08:39 AM
43-295b