PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gold

R.Ph. 380
10-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Got off the phone with Brian today to get his help in using something that was sent to me in response to my buying some "junk" sweepings of 22lr,22mag and surprisingly 5.7 x 28.

Not too many months ago, I, on a whim bought some very nicely priced brass which were described as sweepings up from a shooting range. Now I can use the 22lr , of which there is a LOT. I will probably hold the 22 Mag brass for future possibilities. BUT, so far and I'm probably about 1/3 through separating by hand the 5.7 x 28 brass I will now be using for 30 caliber jackets and I'm somewhere between 700 to 800 of them.

Soooooooooo, I asked Brian to set aside a push through sizing die in .302 to decrease the outside dimensions to a usable size and a mandrel to open up the neck on these beauties. I already have a 30 cal core seating die and a point forming die to finish them out. I think these will probably become my go to brass for my 30-30 which I will make in a flat point for same. So my advice, Sometimes you may be expecting nothing when if you will look hard enough it may be Hidden Gold.

Bill

BT Sniper
10-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Yep! Good score! Here is a look at some 30-30 bullets I made a while back from 5.7x28 brass.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/3030bullet.jpg

BT

runfiverun
10-16-2015, 11:36 PM
HMM those look similar to the ones I make from 5.7 brass, for little girls low pressure 7.65 argie loads.

I cut the case off at the neck, or use the cases that pop the neck off in the processing of the brass.
then trim it all to an exact length before annealing and such.
not pushing everything super hard into the die allows the nose to stay more open and leaves some exposed lead.

a flat nosed punch for the 30 cal die would be a better option as I do get a bit more rounded nose than Brian's pic shows.

HINT...HINT.