PDA

View Full Version : New member saying Hi

Whitesmoke
10-13-2015, 08:39 PM
G day you blokes,
I have just joined the forum as I am a relapsed black powder shooter.
I thought all my black powder days were behind me ?

I was invited to a BP shoot and got a snoot full of the perfumed smoke and it was game on, again!.
Hooked again!
My mate lent me his hand built Green River Rifle Works .54 perc.( The one made in Adelaide ,Australia-by Alan Vaisham) and I was luck enough to outscore him with it. 49 out of 50 first time I have shot in 8 years.

He won't sell to me- (the mongerel :violin:)so I have gone second best and am buying a Pedersoli Tryon in .54 perc. I like the deep rifling and have shot it and it shoots as well as the Green River- again 49/50.This equates to 1 1/2" offhand and a flyer in the 9 ring due to Mr Shaky.Load details are 530 ball,12th dry Ballistol patch over 55 grns FF Goex.

I am paying $800 for a Tryon that has a 50 shots,or so, through it is personally owned by a gunsmith friend of mine. New Pedersoli's cost about $1200 by the time the transfer and lisc fees are paid on them, down here.

For me, half the fun is buying some of the gear and making the rest.I am looking forward to making the powder horn and scrimming it with local scenes and making own loading blocks and making a possibles bag from what I can find in the Op shops. I have a big to do list in front of me.

Mold,powder measure,horn valve ordered from TOTW. I am stoked by their response time. Ordered at 4.30Pm our time and by the time I got out of bed at 6am today,I get the email to say its dispatched and here is the tracking no.

Something that attracted me on TOTW was barrel liners, but due to homeland security they can't be dispatched.
Is there a reasonable and plausible explanation for this madness ,or will the US be made infinitely safer by retaining the said ML liner within the borders of your country?
I have a an old CVA .50 Cal that could do with freshing out.Looks like I may have to make a rifling bench.
Anyway I am here to learn as much as I can about Pedersoli. 54 cal Tryons.Its great to be here.

Cheers All
Whitesmoke

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find many kindred spirits here. You can't hardly be a muzzleloader shooter without being a boolit/ball caster, and there are lots of them hanging out here.

rodwha
10-13-2015, 11:57 PM
My father had been telling me for years. I ignored it for some time. I'm in deep these days!

I, too, enjoy making what I can, though I haven't delved quite as deep as you. I cast my own projectiles (ball, conicals, and bullets), cut my patches and wads, and make my lube (Gatofeo's #1).

FrontierMuzzleloading
10-14-2015, 01:39 AM
deercreek for new cva barrels.

starmac
10-14-2015, 02:07 AM
There may be a way around the liner deal with tow. Some companies pay through the nose and do the mountains of red tape to export some of the restricted items. Might be one of them would snag one and ship to you.

Hanshi
10-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Welcome to our forum, Whitesmoke. Join right in with all of us addicts and have a blast. [smilie=w:

Old Scribe
10-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard from the State of Jefferson! Have fun with whatever you do in this great sport.

Whitesmoke
10-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome ,gents