PDA

View Full Version : 450 Nitro Express Sharps

AbitNutz
10-13-2015, 03:18 PM
So my little project is coming along. I'm having my Lyman 1878 Pedersoli-Sharps rechambered to 450 Nitro Express. I'm dropping off these test loads to the gunsmith tomorrow.
They're Hornady brass, Federal 215M primer, 43.5gr aac 5744, closed cell filler and an LBT 355gr spitzer GC. This is just a start test load. Ultimately, I'll be able to get better performance at reduced pressures than a 45/70....and have something a little different.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/AbitNutz/450%20Nitro%20Express.jpg (http://s302.photobucket.com/user/AbitNutz/media/450%20Nitro%20Express.jpg.html)

rr2241tx
10-15-2015, 01:16 PM
I think I'd have made the brass out of 45 Basic so it wouldn't be necessary to set the barrel back to set the headspace but that's just me. Good luck with the load development.

Blackwater
10-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Isn't the Sharps a little on the weak side for the .450 NE? I'm not sure about this, and I know the classic rounds for the old double rifles don't achieve the pressures that our modern bolt guns are made to take, but who did you check with on this chambering for that rifle? I don't know it's NOT strong enough, and it probably is, but it's one of the things that CAN get pretty technical. I've blown up a gun once, so now I'm a little like the cat that once sat on a hot stove lid, and now won't sit on a cold one either, so I'm just asking, and not casting any aspersions on your choice. If it works, you've GOT to take that gun to Africa, even if all you take with it is a dik-dik! Love those old Sharps, and the Pedersolli is supposed to be a good one.

AbitNutz
10-16-2015, 03:36 AM
The Pedersroli-Sharps can handle 45/70 lever action pressures, which are 43,000 cup. The 450 Nitro Express factory loads are rated at 39,000 cup.

However, I have no intention of running things that hot. There are three sets of loading data available for the 45/70:
1) Trapdoor Springfield at 25,000 cup.
2) Lever action at 43,000 cup.
3) Ruger no.1 and Siamese Mauser at 55,000 cup.

I should be able to get Ruger No.1 performance but at Trapdoor Springfield pressures.

In all honesty I just did this because I wanted something different and I think this is just kinda cool. I've always loved British African cartridges but I'm never going to be able to own a double rifle or a Farquarson single shot. Which is OK because a well done Sharps is even more appealing to me. The Lyman 1878 is just plain beautiful.

There's no logical reason for me doing this, other than I think it's cool.

AbitNutz
10-16-2015, 03:48 AM
I think I'd have made the brass out of 45 Basic so it wouldn't be necessary to set the barrel back to set the headspace but that's just me. Good luck with the load development.

While the 450 Nitro Express and 45 basic are similar, you can't make 450 NE out of 45 basic. The base diameter of the 450 NE is .545-.555 while 45 basic is about .503. The logical choice would have been to rechamber it to 45/120 Sharps and this is what a lot of folks have/are doing. That would pretty much give identical to 450 NE. But like I say, I really wanted something different.

Blackwater
10-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks, AN. I didn't know the .450 NE pressures were that low, and I like your choices. You obviously did your homework very well. Like you, I like guns that are "a little different." You've got one heckuva' riflegun there! Kudos to you! If you'd post a pic or pics when it's done, I and I'm sure others here would appreciate the titilation.

rr2241tx
10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Knew I should have looked that up before running off at the fingers.

AbitNutz
10-17-2015, 10:06 AM
I can instantly recall a ridiculous amount of absolutely useless firearms, motorcycle and automotive data. Civil war battles? Locations, dates commanders?..any statistic. My wife's birthday? Our anniversary? Or any other REALLY important information...I fall into the hopelessly retarded classification. My youngest daughter is an MD and she openly calls me Rain-man.

Blackwater
10-17-2015, 05:53 PM
You're not the only one AN! I think there are several of us here like that!

DW475
10-17-2015, 07:12 PM
That is certainly an interesting concept for a sharps!! Keep us posted on your results.

AbitNutz
10-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Most single shots that are chambered for the 450 NE are Martini-Henry's or Farquarson's. Farquarson's are unattainable for less than 401k money and while I really like Martini's I find the Sharps much more interesting to shoot. I mean the Sharps almost has a ritual.

1) Put the hammer on half-cock.
2) Drop the loading lever.
3) Chamber the cartridge.
4) Close the loading lever.
5) Pull the hammer back to full-cock.
6) Make sure the rear tang sight is vertical
7) Pull the rear trigger and set the front one.
8) Fire!

The Sharps, Martini and Farquarson can all be made to be incredibly beautiful rifles. However, my preference is the Sharps 1877. The Lyman-Pedersoli 1878 rendition with its French grey finish really does it for me. I put a Kelley Soule sight on it (man, that wasn't cheap!) with a matching front level sight. The Kelley is brass and color case hardened and not only is it the best sight I've ever had the pleasure of using, it too is a mechanical work of art.

The other caliber choices I considered were the 470 Nitro Express, 450/400 Nitro Express and the 500/450 Nitro Express. The 470 NE and the 450/400 NE would have required a new barrel. Not only would that have cost a ton more it would have added months to the project. The 500/450 NE is an even larger cartridge than the 450 NE, 470 NE or 450/400 NE and would not have needed a new barrel but brass and dies are really hard to come by and cost so much they should have their own tax deduction as dependents.

Nope, the 450 NE was it, dies and brass were reasonable and available. The existing barrel would do just fine and the reamer was in stock and priced like any other HSS finish reamer at Pacific Tool and Gauge.

Keeping the caliber at .458 gives me a tremendous number of choices of bullet molds over a .475 or .410. If what I already have doesn't shoot to my liking, I'll eventually find one that does.

For the price of a re-chamering job I should be able to get Ruger no.1 45/70 performance but at Trapdoor Springfield pressures....and even if I don't load it that hot...it will be just a bit different.

Blackwater
10-18-2015, 04:21 PM
AN, you've got me drooling, and I really like your logic. You really thought this one out. Can you post a pic?

AbitNutz
10-18-2015, 06:39 PM
The gunsmith currently has it...and you bet I'll post pics as soon as it's done. The Kelley sight really sets it off. I have to refrain from holding it too much as it nearly drives me to self abuse it's so pretty.

Blackwater
10-21-2015, 06:59 PM
I understand completely. But ain't it great!?