PDA

View Full Version : more Remington Rolling Block 7x57 questions

Battis
10-13-2015, 01:43 PM
I formed cases for the 1901 Remington Rolling Block 7x57 from 30.06 brass. Cut to length, FL sized until they chambered. I loaded .285 cast bullets, even though the bore measured .286-.287. It shot well. I could not neck size the fired cases enough (Lee neck size dies) to put any tension on those bullets. I bought a NOE .287 mold and the bullets fit better but to get neck tension I had to partially FL size the cases.
I made a chamber cast - that's a pretty roomy chamber.
I Beagled the mold and produced .288 and then .289 bullets that fit much better. .288-.289 seems within the safe zone for the bore.
So, did I miss anything? Other than buying a larger mold, is Beagling the way to go, or is there another way to increase the neck tension? Example: I use a .223 die to put neck tension on my .35 and .351 WSL cases.

I also read some posts about neck sizing 30-30 brass - some posters said that the lever action doesn't have the camming power of a bolt action, so they FL size. Is the Rolling Block in that catergory - not enough camming power for neck sizing?

pietro
10-14-2015, 11:31 AM

IMO, RB's have even less camming power than a levergun, but I'm wondering why anyone should be concerned about neck tension in a cartridge to be used in a single-shot rifle.

atr
10-14-2015, 02:02 PM
for me RRB #5
I take a full length RCBS sizing die and back it off 1/4 turn...
now the die only forms and sizes the neck, and the shoulder is left alone.
I have never had a problem with neck tension with this method and using a .285 slug

I have used Lee type neck sizing dies on other calibers and I have found that you have to be careful setting up the die to allow it to fully compress (collet/cam) the neck back to standard dimensions.
My advice would be to re-check your Lee Die and perhaps compare the neck from a case from the Lee with a new case or one that was FL sized
atr

Battis
10-14-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm wondering why anyone should be concerned about neck tension in a cartridge to be used in a single-shot rifle.
Makes sense. That's what I was missing.