PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550b Case feed issue

Rockchucker
10-13-2015, 05:18 AM
I ordered the case feed the other day for my 550b and after setting it up and reading the instructions twice I started on the installation. Got everything set up for production so I thought, the cases seem to not go fully into the shell holder so the case sometimes doesn't line up with the die unless i push the case fully in with my finger, this also causes the primer seater to not line up perfectly with the case primer pocket. After talking with the nice folks at Dillon and and the trouble shooting section in the instructions I adjusted the roller bracket until the indexing arm was hitting the cam bracket and backed the adjustment off somewhat but the cases still are not fully seating. I feel like the problem is me and not the equipment. I did use an empty tool head with a powder die in station one with the alignment tool in it and made sure the small diameter end went into the primer pocket but doesn't seem to go all the way into it and this maybe part of my problem. However the two bolts that holds the platform to the ram doesn't seem to have that much adjustment. If anyone has ran into this problem setting up the case feed I certainly would appreciate some advice.

Pee Wee
10-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Yes, you have to loosen the mounting bracket that bolts to the base of the press and adjust it either forward or back to get it to line up. I'm sending you a pm
Pee Wee

Rockchucker
10-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Thanks for your reply Pee Wee, I sent you a PM also. I feel like I'm almost there but not quite. another quick question, did you have to adjust the clutch pressure on the upper shell plate, I noticed that if I put much more than a couple handfuls (maybe 40-50)of cases in the hopper it binds an stops spinning.

Pee Wee
10-14-2015, 06:13 AM
No, I haven't had that problem. I have put a hundred in at a time with no problem. Did you put the big washer under the shell plate? I have had mine for about a mo. and have run about 2000 thru with no problem. Maybe someone else here has had that problem. Good luck.
Pee Wee

Rockchucker
10-14-2015, 06:43 AM
I checked the instructions again on the placement of the large washer and from my understanding it's not needed with 45acp cases so I tightened the two allen head bolts on the clutch and that corrected the problem. I put aprox 100 cases in the hopper and it now spins without slippage. One thing I can say about Dillon products is they are fully adjustable. Mine is now running smooth as silk, thanks Pee Wee!