PDA

View Full Version : My boys first centerfire shooting session!!!

birch
10-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Well, I thought I would mention my favorite cartridge, boolit and charge (45 Colt, rcbs 255 cowboy sized to .454 over 6.2gr titegroup. &nbsp; Now the important part...........<br><br>My boy just recently turned 5 years old, and tonight after work, I got out my Winchester 1892 45 Colt rifle and taught my boy how to shoot his first real rifle (other than .22). He can keep them all on a grapefruit at 15 yards. &nbsp;I don't know who is more proud, me or him. &nbsp;<br><br>To top it all off, he was there to help me put together his first 15 rounds in a Lee turret press--h3 didn't do much but place the boolit in the casing for seating, but he loved the act of making and then shooting his first paper. &nbsp;<br><br>I know he will remember today and hopefully teach his son or daughter the same some fine day. &nbsp;I am a proud father to say the least<br><br>I

Scharfschuetze
10-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Good on you Birch and congrats to your son. Some of my best memories mirror yours while bringing up my children.

I started 'em with wax bullets first, but that led to squib cast loads in carbines to full powder loads in match rifles as they grew into them.

nagantguy
10-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Good for you and him!!!!!!! He will remember this forever! You have just made an investment that will pay a lifetime of dividends! Your best hunting shooting partner ,son and carrier of the family name just took a leap toward being a responsible adult.

petroid
10-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Great story! Plant the seed early and they will grow up unafraid, knowledgeable, and respectful about guns, ammo, hunting...A great start

birch
10-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Sorry about the duplicate post, I don't know what happened.

birch
10-12-2015, 09:56 PM
That was one hug I will never forget. He was always proud when he hit the ball really far in t-ball, biut there was something different in those eyes this time. Here is a pic of his first hit without my guidance in aiming. After this one, the next target was all business. This one will always have a spot in my safe.