PDA

View Full Version : My boys first centerfire shooting session!!!

birch
10-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Well, I thought I would mention my favorite cartridge, boolit and charge (45 Colt, rcbs 255 cowboy sized to .454 over 6.2gr titegroup. Now the important part...........

My boy just recently turned 5 years old, and tonight after work, I got out my Winchester 1892 45 Colt rifle and taught my boy how to shoot his first real rifle (other than .22). He can keep them all on a grapefruit at 15 yards. I don't know who is more proud, me or him.

To top it all off, he was there to help me put together his first 15 rounds in a Lee turret press--he didn't do much but place the boolit in the casing for seating, but he loved the act of making and then shooting his first paper.

I know he will remember today and hopefully teach his son or daughter the same some fine day. I am a proud father to say the least

I

gunauthor
10-12-2015, 08:24 PM
You have every right to be proud. You're raising a fine young man......

scaevola
10-13-2015, 10:25 PM
That's quality time.

Good job starting him young.

Bula
10-14-2015, 12:01 AM
I love hearing these stories. My nine yr old started centerfire with 125gr light .38 special loads from a Marlin .357 1894c. He loves it. The the AR with full tilt .223, a little too much for him. Now he's good with .38 wadcutters from a Smith model 15. He's good for a little less than one box, but the little guy does pretty good. Start them early!

Scharfschuetze
10-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Good on you Birch and congrats to the boy. What a great day for a father and son.

Teddy (punchie)
10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Always fun day with the kiddo. Nice to hear you had a great day. Wish you many many more.

Girls are 8; one is already shooting a 12 gauge ( heavy target 7.5's) , Daddy that gun hurts when I shoot it, half hour later, Can I Shoot the big gun again (that what she calls it ), lol . Only shooting 5 weeks and up to 7-8 guns, from shotguns to rifles, semi's to singles . When I was her age I shot 22's maybe. All I can say is lookout she is a trooper, I guess daddy is going to have to get her a smaller shotgun in 20 ga, or maybe cut a 12 ga down.

warboar_21
10-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Sounds like my boy. He turns 5 in December and has helped daddy in the reloading room for a few years. First it was pulling down on the arm of the Redding Turret press. He then started putting the bullets in the rifle cartridges. I have let him shoot several of the guns so far. He absolutely loves to go shooting with me. Last time we went I told him we ran out of ammo and had to go home. As soon as we went home he said we needed to go to the reloading room and start loading more so we could go shoot again.

Low Budget Shooter
10-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Great to hear things like this!

303Guy
10-23-2015, 12:10 AM
That is so heart warming. You have every reason to be proud. I remember feeling so proud of my little youngster.