PDA

View Full Version : Some one needs to make these!!!!! Please I'm in for a 30cal and a 223.

kungfustyle
10-12-2015, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HetgTK3cs
I'm surprised these went out of fashion. One of you great machinist could make these and I am the first in line to buy one.

Boolit_Head
10-12-2015, 02:28 PM
A standard deprimer will remove them and RCBS makes a swage for a press that costs 28 bucks that will remove the large and small primer crimps? What more do you want?

kungfustyle
10-12-2015, 02:32 PM
True a standard deprimer will remove a crimped primer but I ended up breaking three pins on a the last batch of 223's from the range. I just ordered the RCBS pocket swage but would have bought one of these that does both and not having to worry about breaking pins.

Boolit_Head
10-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Never had any problems depriming crimped 223's with my Lee dies. Strange.

kungfustyle
10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting the universal deprime from Lee. The die set that I have is from Hornady and I've heard that the pins are brittle. Now I know they are. But this would have been great not buying two tools but 1.

RogerDat
10-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Lee deprimer die the pin is held in with a collet - pin will get pushed up out of the die before pin breaks in most cases. In both their regular sizing dies and in universal decapper die. http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-universal-decapping-die

RCBS makes a good pocket swager, as does CH4D. If I recall the RCBS was less likely to damage the case but slower to work. The CH4D is fast but can damage the bases since it holds the cartridge in a shell holder and brings the swage rod into the primer pocket from below. Either one makes short work of doing a couple hundred military bras as far as I can tell.

petroid
10-12-2015, 03:59 PM
True a standard deprimer will remove a crimped primer but I ended up breaking three pins on a the last batch of 223's from the range. I just ordered the RCBS pocket swage but would have bought one of these that does both and not having to worry about breaking pins.

The only trouble I've ever had depriming any kind of brass, including military crimped, is if the flash hole is off center and the decapping pin doesn't line up. Very common in surplus brass. Now if you have berdan primed brass (which I doubt if its .223) you can't deprime it conventionally.

rondog
10-12-2015, 05:02 PM
I'd guess they quit making them because there are FAR better/easier ways to deprime .mil brass and swage the pockets!!!

bangerjim
10-12-2015, 05:46 PM
I have done tons of mil crimped with the RCBS pocket swaging die in a single stage press. Works great and very inexpensive. Why reinvent the wheel?

Artful
10-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Use the universal decapper to remove primer then

use the primer pocket swage w/ Dillon Super Swage 600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

dragonrider
10-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Pretty hard to beat that, ^^^^ I am going to have to try it since I have the Dillon tool and the springs.

RogerDat
10-12-2015, 07:35 PM

Man that was fun to watch! Not sure I can spring for the C-note to buy one but loved watching the redneck engineering that looked like it made swaging pockets almost as much fun as shooting the brass was.

Pavogrande
10-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Deprimers ---got a peck of them in all sizes -- Lachmiller used to make them -- also Lee hand loaders come with one in each kit --
I have an old herter's for swaging large pockets --

boho
10-12-2015, 11:58 PM
I use the Lyman universal depriming die on LC brass and the only time I broke the pin was a loose primer inside the case. I really like the CH4D swager it is fast and is perfectly safe to use when properly set up.

Geezer in NH
10-13-2015, 05:56 PM
I use the Lee de-primer and the RCBS primer pocket swagger I bought at leas 30 years ago. De-primer works great at a 1/3 the Dillon costs.

Artful
10-14-2015, 11:25 AM
I use the Lee de-primer and the RCBS primer pocket swagger I bought at leas 30 years ago. De-primer works great at a 1/3 the Dillon costs.

Dillon is a primer pocket swager - NOT a deprimer

Maximumbob54
10-14-2015, 11:42 AM
I use a Lee universal deprimer and a Dillon Super Swage for all my crimped brass. Never broke anything. I did start with the RCBS press mounted swage tool set and bent a couple of rods. They replaced them for free and admitted they had been swapping them out pretty often all of a sudden but wouldn't admit to possibly having made a bad batch. Either way it finally stopped bending rods and once I retired it in favor of the Dillon option you couldn't make me use that thing again for a long run. But it does work well on small batches like when I find some range pick up .357 brass that has crimped primer pockets. It also greatly helps with S&B brass.

mdi
10-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Hmmm. Might be nice to have, but I have no need for one. I have been processing 45 ACP, 9mm, 7.62x51, 5.56, and 30-06 brass for quite a while, and have never broken a decapping pin with my Lee dies, nor had any problems removing a primer pocket crimp with a plain old countersink. Works for me on mebbe 4,000 military once fired brass...

RogerDat
10-14-2015, 12:37 PM
I use the Lyman universal depriming die on LC brass and the only time I broke the pin was a loose primer inside the case. I really like the CH4D swager it is fast and is perfectly safe to use when properly set up.

Last batch of LC out of 250 cases using the CH4D I damaged 2 bases when I was doing the set up and adjustment. Was going a little to fast and not easing up on the right setting, so my fault as much as the tool. I do find having a little bit of Lee case lube rubbed into my fingers and touching the swage tip every so often helps.

Can totally see where a simple counter sink bit on a handle would probably work fine also, as long as it did not bother hand or wrist joints, if it did cause joint pain it would take a power driver of some sort to make it viable for quantity. Hmmm counter sink bit on power screw driver? Would take some care to no over do it but that may be worth taking a look at. I suppose if one has a small drill press and trims case length first you could use a block with a hole as a jig and just adjust the drill press to the right height to radius the pocket with that counter sink bit.

So many options & ideas. Good thing winter is coming so one can futz around trying them out while it is too cold for outdoor shooting.

Vern Humphrey
10-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Never had any problems depriming crimped 223's with my Lee dies. Strange.
Lee dies, which hold the decapping rod in a collet, are ideal -- the rod is pushed back out before the pin breaks. They also sell a universal decapping die, which is what I use with crimped primers.

dragon813gt
10-14-2015, 02:17 PM
You can swage them just as fast on the Dillon w/out the springs. I fling them into a bin like in the video by working it manually. In my case it's faster than the video. It is more physical work but you have more control of the machine. It's the flinging them part that speeds up the process.

2wheelDuke
10-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Lee still makes the hammer style decappers.

http://www.titanreloading.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=decapper

I don't trust a hammer for swaging the crimp out. I'm good with the RCBS swager that works in a reloading press. The Dillon look pretty nice too.

W.R.Buchanan
10-14-2015, 07:15 PM
No need for anyone to make anything for this Lee already makes a simple punch and base that will set you back $10 and you can use a countersink mounted in a cordless drill to remove the crimp from the Primer Pocket.

It takes more time to pick up and drop the case than it takes to actually cut the crimp from a case. I can do 20+ per minute. So can anyone else.

Randy

tenx
10-14-2015, 10:32 PM
to me it depends on the quantity of brass to be processed, if it's a lot or if you think it will increase significantly in the future, suck it up and buy a dillon swager. bought mine when they first came out, think it was $65 or so and that was expensive then but was well worth it. does a good job and is pretty fast. my suggestion is after swaging the primer pocket (especially bottleneck rifle calibers) use a flash hole uniform/deburring tool. most if not all flash holes are punched and swaging flattens the burr (sometimes a pretty sizeable burr) on the inside and sometimes covers a lot of the flash hole. it involves an extra step but you only have to do it once. if we are going to all this trouble to make ammo, let's make it the best we can. just trying to help....

spfd1903
10-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Just bought the Dillon swager with some overtime money. Purchased the RCBS bench mounted swaging tool about four years ago. I have swaged a lot of .223, 9 mm WCC, and S & B brass with it. Works great at pocket swaging and is easy to set up, but the Dillon tool has more mechanical advantage with the longer handle and an in-line pull as opposed to the RCBS.

Motor
10-15-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm a machinist. Trust me if there was any profit in it someone would be making them.

Motor

Ickisrulz
10-15-2015, 10:53 PM
For a deprimer, I like the Harvey Deprimer. It is handheld and requires no shell holder or press. It is plenty strong to use on crimped primers. It is much more than the Lee stuff though.

http://harveydeprimer.com/

DonMountain
10-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I use my old Pacific dies to deprime crimped in primers without any problems. And then use the RCBS primer pocket swage kit on my RCBS AmmoMaster which has LOTS of mechanical advantage. Bought it just the other day from Midway for less than $25. Works way better than the way I used to do it with a hand turned Hornady reamer!

3006guns
10-16-2015, 03:38 PM
For depriming large lots of brass.........Lee decapping die. A simple and sturdy die that does the job quickly. Yes, it adds an additional step but it saves the pins in my regular dies. I DID manage to break a decapping pin once, which surprised me. Five bucks later I had a replacement and a spare that I have yet to use.

Primer pockets........I used the RCBS for many years but found that it doesn't quite resize the pocket completely at time for reasons I can't determine. I finally broke down and bought the Dillon and the RCBS now sits in a drawer, unloved. The Dillon works well with no real effort.

Geezer in NH
10-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Dillon is a primer pocket swager - NOT a deprimerSorry meant the RCBS pocket swagger.

jsizemore
10-18-2015, 11:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

A cat would work better then the lid. You could even Velcro it in place.

Tackleberry41
10-19-2015, 01:17 PM
I have not really had issues getting crimped primers OUT. The Lee depriming die is pretty handy, the pins are pretty cheap if you break one, but they generally push up thru the collet vs breaking. Theres stuff I make where I don't want to size, just deprime. And I modified a pin for the undersized flash holes in some once fired 357 SIG I got.

Been a while since I swagged any primer pockets, bought the RCBS tool, works great. But have piles of brass for my 223 bolt gun, and plenty of already swagged 5.56 if I feel like loading any. But a nice tool to have. I have been finding more and more crimped primers in pistol and rifle ammo, maybe for military, or just crimping everything.

Ric-san
01-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Waiting to hear back from RCBS...the swaging tool base is too small in diameter to fit my Lee Classic cast press ram, which is 1,125" dia. Yes I'm sure I can backwards engineer one, but giving them (RCBS) a chance to see if they can make it right

Don Fischer
01-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow! You guy's just like spending money? I've used a lot of military case's over the past 40+ yrs and never needed any special tool to eliminate the crimp. The appropriate sizing die takes out the primer, and I've never broke a depriming pin. Out of the press and a quick twist with my RCBS de-burr tool and it's done. In fact one time I couldn't find my de-burr tool and a pocket knife worked, slower but it worked.

skeettx
01-18-2016, 01:59 PM
There is a Wilson 30-06 punch and base set GI decapper listed on the big bay right now for $10.00
Mike

Garyshome
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
I started de priming with a Lee 45 acp de prime/sizer die [I was using a LEE universal depriming die, but kept breaking the pins] It Works really well [.40.380.45.9mm.223/556] Haven't busted the pin yet. I can also turn down all the longer broken rods to fit the 45 die.

gwpercle
01-18-2016, 07:47 PM
The Lee Decapper & Base , its a steel base with a steel rod and pin that you hammer the primer out with, this is not a die , just a steel base and rod, #90103 for 22 caliber and #90102 for 30 caliber, looks like 1/2 of the vintage tool, guaranteed unbreakable and no pin slippage . It doesn't have a built in crimp remover but it looks like a neat deprimer for crimped cases.
Gary

mdi
01-19-2016, 03:29 PM
No offense to the OP, but this seems to be a much ado about nuttin' thread. He found a way to deprime and reform military brass. Thanks for that. My methods are much easier and faster than the tool(s) shown (and being a lifelong machinist/mechanic I don't pay much attention to someone who uses a claw hammer on tooling/punches, etc. :evil:.). Most of the following posts are "I use a..." posts and there are many ways to remove crimps from military crimped primer pockets. That's jes my thoughts and thanks again for showing the tools...

jmorris
01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Where there is a will there is a way.

1:30 to deprime and swage a case is a little slow in my world though.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-20-2016, 01:57 AM
Ditto on the Dillon. I've lost count of all the 223/308 military brass I've done with mine in the last fifteen years...

Motor
01-20-2016, 09:05 PM
Wow! You guy's just like spending money? I've used a lot of military case's over the past 40+ yrs and never needed any special tool to eliminate the crimp. The appropriate sizing die takes out the primer, and I've never broke a depriming pin. Out of the press and a quick twist with my RCBS de-burr tool and it's done. In fact one time I couldn't find my de-burr tool and a pocket knife worked, slower but it worked.

Don, I've used that method too and it does work "ok" on the old large primer pocket brass.

5.56 is not so easy and small rifle primers are not as tuff. Now I swage with the RCBS kit (an older version) and still use a corner break and pocket uniformer. Makes priming a lot eaiser. :)

Oh. The old way is also why I broke the frame of my first Lee autoprime and had to use the press to prime on.

Motor

robg
01-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Lee dies decap fine for me .to clean the crimp off the pockets a shamfer tool does the trick.

Pee Wee
01-21-2016, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HetgTK3cs
I'm surprised these went out of fashion. One of you great machinist could make these and I am the first in line to buy one.
I do the same thing, works great and very non fatiguing. Go Blue