PDA

View Full Version : crimp and the P14.45

nagantino
10-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I have Para P14.45, its an older model. I bought a Lee factory crimp die as a final finish to my rounds but am still unsure as to what constitutes a good crimp. I use 185 grain SWC lead bullet heads and most times the gun recycles without a hitch but one or two jams is enough to ruin your score in a competition. Should I be able to see a crimp mark?

:???:

NVcurmudgeon
10-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I shoot two cast boolits in my Colt Gold Cup. H&G #68, 200 gr. SWC for target loads, and Lyman #452374, 238 gr. RN for GI equivalent loads. Both of these boolits are sized to .452", and taper-crimped to a diameter of .470" at the case mouth. I test security of crimp by putting the finished cartridge, boolit down, on the bench and pushing hard with both thumbs to see if the boolit slides into the case. It doesn't. Function is 100%, accuracy is excellent, and there are no "crimp marks." I have never used the Lee factory crimp die because I am concerned about the crimp die damaging my carefully
cast and mercilessly inspected cast boolits. Gentler methods have worked well for me since back when JFK was running for President.

Cherokee
10-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I use the factory crimp die for J---ed bullets but not for cast because it will resize the cast bullet in the case. A regular taper crimp die does the job for my cast bullets.

nagantino
10-12-2005, 02:48 PM
What concerns me is the ability of a crimped round to go into battery 100% of the time. I bought the Lee " for handgun ammunition that must work". I am told that a Para P14 needs plenty of crimp........but whats plenty?
All my gear is Lee.

StarMetal
10-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Crimps, crimps, crimps. So many myths and misunderstanding. Okay, lets see, Lee factory crimper...I have a few for rifles and one for pistol and from what I can see they both operate the same. That is they only put a crimp right at the mouth of the case and the pressure is applied inward and the case is not moving upward like in other brand dies. They DON'T SIZE YOUR LEAD BULLET DOWN!!!!!!!!! When fired the case mouth gets blowed open and irons out the crimp. Hell if any crimp changes your bullet shape more then others it's the taper crimp. I've been heavy roll crimping my 45 acp, per C. Harris's recommendations in the NRA Cast Bullet bullet and if you don't think they shoot good come on down to TN and I'll give you a demonstration. By the way, just got back from my eye exam today for new glasses and my Doctor stated "I can't believe how well you shoot for your age, but more importantly, how bad your eyes are. Me either.

Quit fussing over the crimp ruins this and ruins that, fact is bottom feeders need a crimp to keep that bullet from pushing back into the case when it hits the feed ramp and the crimp hurts NOTHING, except wears the very edge of your brass out little sooner.

Joe

Shepherd2
10-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Nagantino - I assume that you are talking about the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. That is the one they advertise for handgun ammunition that must work. That die puts the crimp on the round and resizes the loaded round in the process. That's the reason for the carbide. Most competitive shooters and reloaders that I know use them. I had a problem with 9mm ammo that worked fine in a CZ75 and choked in a Springfield XD. The carbide factory crimp die solved the problem. Sure beats using the barrel for a gauge.

As far a degree of crimp goes, I use only enough to hold the bullet securely in the case. You can't see a crimp ring on any of my rounds and you have to strain to see the crimp. Since the .45 acp headspaces on the mouth it's best to keep the crimp to a minimum. I shoot at least 500 rounds of .45 acp loaded with the Lyman 452374 a month and never have a problem.

Cherokee
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Starmetal - the Lee rifle and pistol factory crimp dies work differently. The Pistol version does size the case with the seated bullet in it and, if you have a fat bullet, it will size it down, the rifle version works the way you described.

StarMetal
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
cherokee

I bought a Lee factory crimper for the 30Luger/30Mauser/7.62Tokarev and its exactly the same as the rifle one, just presses a crimp in from it's crimp collet and no movement of the round, I assumed the other pistol crimpers were similar, sorry.

Joe