PDA

View Full Version : Which Lyman target sight for the Garand

1johnlb
10-12-2015, 02:37 AM
I'm looking to put a target front sight on my Garand and have seen a few post where it's been done . Would someone point me in the right direction. Which Lyman? Standard dovetail? Or is it a custom job?

labradigger1
10-12-2015, 05:22 AM
You may want to try the cmp forums. Lots of info for garands.

bruce drake
10-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Are you talking about adding a National Match front sight or a Lyman Globe sight?

Scharfschuetze
10-12-2015, 12:32 PM
That's a good question above and I might also ask what your intended use of the rifle will be. If you want to shoot in NM or CMP matches, the following will apply.

Blade sight:

You'll need to use a blade front site for NM or CMP competition. There are a couple of different widths of blades that were in use on the Garand over the years. Back when the military still used the A and B bullseye targets, a narrow "NM" width sight (.062 or abouts) was used and it remained in use when the targets were switched to the 10 ring targets used by civilians. The original 200 yard SF and RF bullseye target was also used at 300 yards, so a narrow blade helped your sight picture at the 300 yard RF stage. The 500 yard target was also used at 600 yards so again, the narrow front sight was useful.

At some point in the late 70s (CRS anymore) the black for the 300 yard bull was extended through the 8 ring and at 600 yards the black was expanded through the 7 ring and thus, for me, negated the need for narrow NM width front sights.

For me the battle width or issue front sight is best for just about any type of shooting and for older eyes, it's a lot easier to see than the narrower blades.

Aperture sight:

Now if you are talking about an aperture front sight, you'll not be able to officially compete in the NRA service rifle class or at CMP matches. In NRA matches you would have to compete in the match rifle class with the bolt rifles and AR based match rifles if you use an aperture front sight on the Garand. With the aperture sight, is no longer considered a service rifle.

1johnlb
10-12-2015, 02:29 PM
No match shooting here, wouldn't have the time even if there was a group near by. Maybe one day. But for now, just looking a front sight to ease focusing.
I've a lyman 17 that I fit on my no4 mk2 and really enjoy it, especially the aperture. But it's small and that was necessary to fit between the original sight wings. But the garand doesn't have that limitation. I know lyman makes a slightly larger one which I'd prefer but looks like a totally different mounting system. Never seen a NM. Is it a globe sight or just the standard GI blade.
What's everyone else having success with or preferring?

country gent
10-12-2015, 03:13 PM
I believe Lyman made a version of thier 17 with the dovetail cut 908 to globe and sized to fit the garand and M1As dovetail. I know one was made as I have seen them being used. They bolt on in place of the front blade with no mods needed. The one drawback is they add some elevation to the zeros for range since they are taller. Most of the globes dovetails run parrallel to globe and barrel, but the one I am thinking of is 90* to globe. Check with Fulton Armory, Springfield Armory, Champions Choice, Champions Shooters supply, and Lyman.

madsenshooter
10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
I got one of these somewhere! http://www.alleysupply.com/default.asp?pc=sc I'd like to find it, as it appears to me the problems I'm having has to do with sight alignment. Give me a circle within a circle over the wings anyday! If I don't find the Alley, I'm going to cut down a 1917 front sight.

1johnlb
10-12-2015, 05:57 PM
The Alley is the only 1 coming up on a m1 search. Brownells shows it with metal inserts.. I'm wondering the size. If it will accept a Gerhman or anchultz clear apertures.

Anyone know of any other units or options?

Thanks

Scharfschuetze
10-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Gehman and Anchuetz inserts have a Euro diameter that won't fit American units unless the American unit is made specifically for the European size. Make sure you check what's what before ordering European sight inserts for American units.

1johnlb
10-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Toooo late, I already have some left over from a couple Swedes, that got sold off a while back.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-18-2015, 08:56 PM
My suggestion is shoot the standard sights and see how you like them. The rifle has excellent as issued sights. If you find you need a smaller aperture after shooting the stock sights, get yourself a national match M1 sight. Why? It has the smaller aperture and is an excellent sight.

I've shot lots of Lyman sights in my life and while they're very good on some rifles, they're just not something the Garand needs. It's stock sights are excellent. They truly are.

My accurized M1 has everything match except for one thing: It has stock sights. I could, when I was shooting high power rifle on a regular basis, put 5 rounds into right at an inch when using a sled and single loading. With well built handloads and that rifle, I was always confident it was me and not the rifle when the scores weren't what I felt they should be. This allowed me to make adjustments to my shooting position and correct mistakes I was making. When I transitioned to the AR15, the skills I had honed shooting the Garand made me a much better shooter with the AR15.

So give the stock sights a try. You will likely find they're all you need.

Just my .02,

Dave

Geezer in NH
10-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Clear inserts can me made from plexi-glass with a lathe. Made many for the Redfield Olympics 20 years ago.

mac1911
10-25-2015, 08:01 AM
The front aperture "peep" sight will help with ageing eyes if your vision is not up to the challenge of focusing clearly on the front sight post.
I need Rx to shoot my M1 with usgi sights I can't focus on the front sight.
When I shoot my 513t with Olympic sight set up I no longer need my Rx I can make out the rings of the front sight and the target with out eye fatigue.

My only issue with the M1 front aperture sight is the globe is on the small side.