PDA

View Full Version : First successful? powder coat job

tankgunner59
10-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Well not actually the first, but this time it worked better. No pics, not really proud of them. Used the shake and bake method, but it didn't cover well. I have a small toaster oven so small batches. I'm trying again tomorrow, plan to get a gun when I have the cash. Any advice is appreciated.

Jupiter7
10-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Don't bake'em til they're coated. Keep shaking and swirling.

tankgunner59
10-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks I will. I got a pm from shoot-n-lead about it too. I think I'll stay with shake and bake for quite a while till I get it right. These don't look too bad, so I'll keep perfecting my process.

Dragonheart
10-14-2015, 04:18 AM
If they are not coating it is probably the powder. When tumble coating I have found a big difference in powders even using quality Prismatic Powders. Most of the solid colors will give a good one coat, especially blue, green, purple & red. Yellow powder like yellow paint takes two coats. I haven't found a metallic that tumble coats with one coat, some not at all, although metallic looks great when sprayed. I only use the shake by hand method to test a new color or test when I mix colors of leftover powder, but I have found the white semi-transparent tupperware containers marked with a recycle number "5" work better that any other container I have tried, including the standard Coolwhip.

fredj338
10-14-2015, 07:17 PM
In using HF red or any of Smoke's powders, shake & bake works great. 100% coverage & they have always passed the smash test. The container you shake in is important, the BBs you use seem to also be important. Everyone says a #5 plastic food container, I use the screw on lid Ziplok. I couldn't find recommended black BB so bought green ones, they seem to work fine. Shake & swirl vigorously for at least 30sec gives me 100% coverage. If you are going cheap HF powders, only the red will work well shake & bake IMO. I understand higher humidity can play havoc on uniform coating, just haven't seen it out here.

bangerjim
10-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Remember............Swirl for 30 seconds.......SHAKE HARD up and down for 10-15 seconds!

That is the secret. Pick up with hemostats (get a pair!) the best way I have found over MANY experiments.

Use NSAF foil.

You did not put your location in your info (REEEEEELY HELPFUL to us!!!!!!) so I have no idea if you are in a humid area. Humidity will effect your process a lot.

bangerjim

shoot-n-lead
10-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Swirl, shake, dump'em in a colander, then onto the pan and cook'em.

Dragonheart
10-15-2015, 11:32 AM
I have always used the Black Crossman BB's, but this past weekend my wife presented me with a huge jug of 15,000 Swiss Arms Red BB's she got at a garage sale for $3. I thanked her, but in my mind thought they would just go into the recycling bin. I decided to give them a test try anyway and the bullets coated beautifully. I couldn't tell any difference and I have now tried 4 different Prismatic Powder colors using the red bb's and they all work. So, it appears those that say other colors work are on to something. At least i probably won't be buying BB's for a long time.

leadbutt
10-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Does the shake and bake method work with HF red?

L. Bottoms

jcren
10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Shake and bake DOES work. The firm up and down shake is critical, type of tub is critical, bb's must be opaque colors, and in my experience with transparent, opaque white and black from Smoke, black is best. Don't give up, every attempt will improve and unless you want flat colors or perfect coverage, spray equipment is not needed.

bangerjim
10-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Does the shake and bake method work with HF red?

L. Bottoms

HF red is what we started this madness with well over 2 years ago! It is my standard powder for BBDT and ESPC. Mixes well with other powders and coats 100% for me.

But 'ya gotta' hold your mouth just right! HA.....ha!