PDA

View Full Version : 41 Colt carbide sizing die?

MEB
10-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Does anyone make 41 Colt carbide sizing die or is there anyone who can open a 38 special carbide sizing die to 41 Colt

Earl Brasse
10-12-2015, 11:29 AM
No carbide dies are or were made for .41 Colt that I have ever seen or heard of.

It would be interesting if changing it could be done, then again, for enough money most anything can be.

Being a straight case, I would sound doable.

If you do find a cost, I would be interested to know.

MEB
11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I am having a 38/357 carbide sizing die opened to 41 Colt.
If it works out, l will post here were and what I had it done.
It will be about 6 wks +- 2 wks and the cost was under $70 (including the die).
I'm the guinea pig.

jetinteriorguy
11-14-2015, 05:42 PM
I wonder if a .41 Mag sizing die would work? You can order just the sizing die alone from Titan.

r1kk1
11-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I wonder if a .41 Mag sizing die would work? You can order just the sizing die alone from Titan.

Look up the bullet diameter for 41LC. Your idea would not work.

When Rapine was in business they made a heel type bullet mould for this cartridge.

take care

r1kk1

kywoodwrkr
11-14-2015, 08:58 PM
What kind of swelling at the base do you get with the brass you are using?
In other words do you need to size down to factory specs?
COTW denotes .405 as base of 41 Long Colt.
Base of 41 Magnum is .433.
9mm Mak is .389 with .384 neck(mouth) diameter.
Were I to convert I'd use the MAK sizer and burn a few thousandths off its mouth diameter.
Or, if chamber is large enough, id use a 10mm sizer(.423") and see if it sizes down enough. Mine sizes down to exactly .423!
I've found some sizing dies I have seem to size down more than necessary so you could use a pin gauge to check dia..
Or drill whose sizes: Y is .404, Z is .413 Y should go in mouth(snug and you have a winner), Z shouldn't.
A problem might be the amount of carbide in the sizing ring also.
Some older dies are 'fatter' and will provide a better chance of success, at least in theory.
Have set up a die holder for 7/8-14 and the larger 1 1/4-12 RCBS size for creating my own base form dies with wire EDM.
Burning a sizing die out would result in wiping out decapping rod's threads probably and mouth of die would lose its smooth opening fillet to a certain degree.
Diamond paste on/with felt bob might assist in polishing/removing any 'ridge'.
It is also possible to polish out ring to size using diamond paste.