PDA

View Full Version : IMR-7828 Question

Kent Fowler
10-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I ran recently ran across some 257 Weatherby ammo I loaded somewhere between 1996 and 2000. They are starting loads of RL-22 and Hornady 120 gr. bullets. My first attempt at loading for this round was using a starting load of IMR-7828 and Nosler 120gr. Partitions. These were exhibiting very high pressure signs(yes, I'm aware of Weatherbys being higher pressure rounds) when I measured the case head for expansion using a micrometer. Can't remember how much expansion I was getting but it was alarming. I called Weatherby and talked to one of their techs and the first question he asked was if I was using a Nosler Partition. He said they ran into this problem and their head ballistician was at a loss to understand why this was happening with this bullet. He said he was prohibited from telling me what powder Weatherby was using. I then decided on a fresh start using different powder and brand of bullets and then I could compare them with the original IMR-7828 load. I probably should had tried the Hornadys with the IMR powder, but when you see that degree of case head expansion, you get a little leary. Anyway, I put the rifle in the back of the safe thinking I would get around to testing the new load a little later but then I promptly forgot about it. My wife says I'm very good at this sort of thing. Along the way, though, I came across a few snippits of information on the interweb that there might have been a problem batch of IMR-7828 but I have never been able to verify it. I was wondering if any of you might remember anything about a pressure problem with IMR-7828.

Hickok
10-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't know if this is any help, but I load my 257 WM with the Nosler 110 gr Accubond, 70 gr/ Imr7828, 3.250" over all length, and no problems. This load is listed in the Nosler manual.

The Accubond holds together on deer from 200 yards on out to 400 yards with no blowup. These are the ranges I have taken deer with this bullet, but don't know how it will behave under 200 yards, as I have never shot a deer below this range with the .257WM.

Uncle R.
10-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Haven't heard about a problem batch of 7828.
That doesn't mean it's not out there of course, just that I haven't heard of such a thing.
I've used 7828 for years now in my 7 Remington mags. I like it a lot. It meters like crushed rock so I weigh my charges. It's always been predictable for me, no weirdness or touchy results, and great accuracy.

My limited testing with Nosler partitions in the .25-06 gave poor results and I finally abandoned the project. It wasn't from pressure problems but just terrible accuracy. I couldn't get the durn things to shoot for beans. I've heard that they're finicky and won't perform in some guns. My rifle had a very worn throat, and I think that may have contributed to the bad results. I got much better groups with Hornadys in that rifle. I'd try Hornady Interbonds and 7828 in your .257 with starting loads, and then work up as results indicate.

Uncle R.

Kent Fowler
10-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Haven't heard about a problem batch of 7828.
That doesn't mean it's not out there of course, just that I haven't heard of such a thing.
I've used 7828 for years now in my 7 Remington mags. I like it a lot. It meters like crushed rock so I weigh my charges. It's always been predictable for me, no weirdness or touchy results, and great accuracy.

My limited testing with Nosler partitions in the .25-06 gave poor results and I finally abandoned the project. It wasn't from pressure problems but just terrible accuracy. I couldn't get the durn things to shoot for beans. I've heard that they're finicky and won't perform in some guns. My rifle had a very worn throat, and I think that may have contributed to the bad results. I got much better groups with Hornadys in that rifle. I'd try Hornady Interbonds and 7828 in your .257 with starting loads, and then work up as results indicate.

Uncle R.

I seriously doubt I'll ever shoot the gun again, as I've been hunting deer, for quite a while now, with a Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Bench Rest. I'm left handed and the docs neglected to give me a choice when they put this defibrillator implant on the left side and I don't want to subject that thing with a lot of recoil. Thought about selling the rifle as I never could get used to the bolt being on the left side but the number of folks who want a left handed Weatherby Mark V is pretty small, so I guess it will be the problem of which ever of my kids inherit the durn thing when I croak.

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Weatherby uses re22 in there 257 factory ammo. A starting load out of a book should give you no problem. Heck a max load shouldn't. My guess is you got some bad brass. If you were using new weatherby brass I had some a while back that you couldn't even seat a primer in. I told weatherby about it and they replaced it without even wanting the lot number to verify that it was bad so Im guess they've got a bunch of bad 257 brass. By the way don't let them jack you up. Weatherby themselves load partions in it. No doubt in my mind theres something wrong with that brass and there two stepping you to avoid having to warrantee it.