PDA

View Full Version : Gas check install w/out sizing?

Beaverhunter2
04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I just ordered Ranch Dog's .460 moulds. Yes- both of them. ;-) The hitch is, he's out of sizing dies. How can I install gas checks without sizing the bullets? I ordered 1000 Hornady .451-.458s.

Thanks for help!

John

Leftoverdj
04-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Buy a Lee .458 and lap it out. Four cull bullets lubed with fine valve grinding compound and run through one after another a half dozen times should get you close.

The older Lyman non crimping GCs could be put on without sizing if you can find any of those.

MtJerry
04-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Bench vise ....

SEF Sports
04-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Try running them in your sizer just far enough to crimp on the Hornady gas checks. I have done this before when I didn't want the bullets sized, but I wanted the gas checks crimped on. You have to do a little trial and error to set the depth just right.

DLCTEX
04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
+1 on Partial sizing to seat them, won't work with Lee push throughs. DALE

Beaverhunter2
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys!

John

corvette8n
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I pushed some thru my Lee sizer base first just enough to put the check on then tapped them out down and out with a dowel.

Beaverhunter2
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I got my Ranch Dog molds today. Looks like they'll make some sweet boolits! Even sweeter is RD got .460 size dies back in stock and I have one of them on order now, too. By the time I get a nice bunch of boolits cast, the die should be here and I'll be in business! Being a newbie, I want to stick fairly close to the "rules". Once I have a little experience I'll get more creative.

John

jlchucker
04-12-2008, 09:09 AM
How about putting the gascheck seater that comes with the Lyman 450 press into your press? It works good with the Lyman presses, but I've never tried it on the RCBS model since I don't own one. I'ts just a spacer that prevents stroking down for full seating. You can only push the bullet far enough into the sizer to seat and crimp a Hornaday gascheck.

Ricochet
04-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Try holding them in the top of your Lee Factory Crimp Die so the crimping jaws of the collet are just at the top of the gas check. May leave 'em a little large since the one for your caliber's likely to be what you've got. .45-70 case mouth diameter's about .480", though obviously the crimper will adjust to something less than that. If you have one for a .44 caliber it'll adjust down to whatever .45 caliber diameter you want easily. Their case mouths are nominally about .450".

Heavy
04-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Best way to crimp a gas check with out sizing the bullit is to take a washer with a slightly smaller hole and lapp it out so that the check will start to just fit. Place check on the shank of the boolit and push down into washer so that it crimps onto the shank. Done with out sizing.