PDA

View Full Version : My Primer went ka-boom tonight

BeemerMark
10-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Sitting here at 3 in the morning because I'm in too much pain to sleep. Typing with one finger. I'm not a newbie, been reloading 20+ years. have always used Lee priming tool to seat primers. Tonight while doing 45 colt BOOM. No clue why. Brass was trimmed , pockets cleaned, primers seated with normal seating pressure. Tore / burned most of the skin off left thumb. Plastic tray fragmented like a fragmentation grenade.

So I never want to hold a priming tool in my hand again. Still want to prime and load 50 cases at a time in loading blocks. Need recommendations for new priming tool.

What about the RCBS auto bench priming tool? Not sure how it works, advice?

MediumCore358
10-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Oh man! Not cool and sorry to hear that happened to you. You weren't using Federal primers were ya??

mold maker
10-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Get an x-ray for shrapnel and heal fast. Sore thumbs are a bummer.
Been using a LEE priming tool forever with no problems. Have heard rumors, but this is the first, 1st hand account of such.
Sorry to hear of your experience, but need to hear the details when you can.
Was any extra pressure needed to seat this time? Which components? Was the primer possibly upside down?
There is always the possibility of a freak accident, but we need to rule out all the variables we can.
I just purchased the RCBS bench tool. Had been looking for one used for quite a while, and finally found one for cheap. RCBS supplied the 2 missing parts free. I had used one previously and liked it.

farmerjim
10-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Witch lee priming tool? Auto or ergo ?

Dan Cash
10-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Bonanza Co-Ax.

opos
10-11-2015, 09:36 AM
I may be really old fashioned but I've tried several primer tools over the years...the old Lee round tray, the new Lee square tray, the Lee "safety prime" on the press,etc...I found the hand primers just made me uncomfortable ...even with the thousands of cases I've loaded with them...always concerned with a bunch of primers that close to one that might go off. Same with the "on press" round tray "safety prime"...

I take a primer tray (orange color...no idea who made it) and flip the primers all anvil up..I use alcohol hand scrub to get any oil off my hands and dry them well...and I simply pick up one primer at a time and load it into the on press priming arm. nothing goes in backwards or on edge...it's quick enough for me (I use a single stage press so am in no hurry) and it's the safest way I can think of to handle primers. Never had a misfire from handling primers...just don't have problems and if one goes off it goes off in the press and away from all other primers.

I think Lee said the old round tray hand primers are subject to a chain detonation (don't quote me on this) and that is why they went to the new one....I never would trust a tube type primer feed (seen too many pictures)...just one primer at a time for me.

Eddie2002
10-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Man, that stinks, hope you heal well. Just wondering if you know how many primers were in the tray when it lit off? I use a single stage press for primers and have had maybe two fire off and both were my own fault with too much pressure.
Was thinking about upgrading to a hand held primer but now I guess not.

Hardcast416taylor
10-11-2015, 12:09 PM
If you were using Federal primers that could explain a lot about what happened. They say to NOT use Federal primers in their priming tools.Robert

slim1836
10-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I HAD A Remington 9 1/2 primer go off yesterday in a Hornady hand primer, a first for me. I was priming ZQI .308 brass casings at the time. Seems the primer pockets are tight as I had to exert more pressure than I normally do. Also, it felt like the primer had to be "2 staged" in order to seat the depth properly. Wished I had a pocket swager.

The ZQI ammo was from Wally World ($9.99 for 20 rounds) and I just wanted the brass for reloading purposes in the AR.

It was a surprise for sure.

Slim

nicholst55
10-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Glad you weren't more seriously injured. I would definitely seek professional medical care.

I never load more than 20 primers at a time with the Lee (round tray) tool for just this reason. Now, I would most definitely NOT want to have 20 (or even 1) primer(s) detonate in my hand, I figure that such an event would be just marginally better than having 100 (or 99) primers detonate at once. I find myself using a ram-prime setup a lot now, frankly - one at a time, wearing safety glasses.

HeavyMetal
10-11-2015, 12:46 PM
First examine the tool primer punch, Lee's have a problem with the lathe they use to make the punches and I have found several with a small firing pin type projection on them.

I saw this on my first Lee screw in type hand primer and they continue to have this issue with every tool I've bought from them.

Last tool I got was fair but I still filed the ends of both punches and then polished them with a cotton buff in my Dremel tool.

I never had a problem with any of them after I did that no matter what primers I used and I favor Federal's heavily!!

About the middle of last year I found that the hand tools just made my wrist hurt and I bought a clean, used, RCBS auto priming tool off of a member here.

This is the long low one, not the new tall machine, and it is the best primer seater I have ever used off the press.

Buy one of these and life will be better.

BeemerMark
10-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Federal LP # 150 primers. Original Lee priming tool (I have two - one for SP, one for LP). Same setup & tools for over 15 years. No excessive force, brass was cleaned,trimmed and pockets cleaned with hand tool. Probably less than 20 primers in the pan and they did not all go boom. Besides the exploding primer, the d_mn plastic tray disintegrated and lacerated both hands, stomach(thru T-shirt) and a little check below safety glasses.

I think it was just a real sensitive primer, who knows why. Going with a bench mount, all metal loader. Either RCBS or Forester.

NavyVet1959
10-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I've really put a lot of force on seating my primers with my Dillon 450 due to either crimped pockets or whatever and have never had a primer go off on me while seating them. I've really manged them at times and even had ones go in sideways, but I managed to crush them to fit in the primer cup. I've had ones manged to the point where one side of the primer was clearly wrinkled up on the top of the brass and when I tried to fire it just to see what would happen, it worked perfectly -- no noticeable gas blow coming out the primer hole.

Now, on a side note, I have to wonder if using the manual primer on the Dillon is really faster than just placing one primer at a time by hand in the cup. It seems that the time needed to load the primers into the primer pickup tubes, transfer them to the primer loading tubes, and operate the primer bar for each primer is not any less than it would be to just pick up the primer by hand and put it in the primer seating cup. If you have one of the automatic primers on the 550, I can see that it might be worthwhile though.

farmerjim
10-11-2015, 03:15 PM
I just finished loading 1,000 5.56 Mil brass that I had trimmed and swedged and reamed the primer pockets. I used an RCBS hand priming tool to seat the primers. I crushed at least 25 of them forcing them in so that I could take the shell out of the holder. Several of these had gone in sideways. These were CCI, but I do have some Federal small rifle. I like the hand priming tool because it is fast. I guess I will start wearing leather gloves when I use the hand primer. The RCBS moves the primer up about 3/4 of an inch from the primer tray to seat it into the case, so I don't think there is much chance of multiple primer detonations. I will not use the Federal in the hand primer any more.
Thanks for pointing this out before It happens to me.
Get well soon.

country gent
10-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I had a round tray Lee go on me I had used it for years. Was priming the coming seasons 308s in the living room. ( 5 gal buckets for loading blocks) Had done around 800 sitting there. When it went. I had noticed some dust build up in the tray and mechanisim just before, and it was late winter early spring in an easy chair on carpeting and flannel shirt. ( thats a good combination for static electricity). It went just shortly after I had filled it with another 100 primers, Not sure how many I ghad primer but we found around 30 that didnt detonate. The one being seated didnt detonate either. Possible static electricity and the dust. I had primer anvils embedded in my face along with a piece of the plastic cover. This dust build up is cumalitive a build up over time or use. Blowing these tools out with compressed air or washing occassionally should help stop this build up. Get to the Doctors and get checked out there is a very good chance you may have "extra" parts imbedded in you. I had 25 or so stiches 1-2 in each place. Thank goodnes I wear glasses.

Eddie2002
10-11-2015, 07:24 PM
The strangest primer that I had go off unexpectedly was a berdan primer. It was in a 8mm Mauser case and I was using the punch and pry method to decap. The primer had a solid firing pin mark on it and wasn't loaded of course but still went off. Glad it was clamped in a holder in the vice, boy did it make me jump, surprised as to how loud it was. Got a couple dozen of the cases from a buddy who runs a reloading store and they were in his scrap bucket.
Still have a brick or two of berdan primers and will reload them any chance I get, just am a little more careful decapping them now.

JWFilips
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Federal in a Lee ! Well They warn you up front...So They are covered
Sorry to hear about this ....Hope you do well in recoup

chloe123
10-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Very sorry to hear about the injury. Make sure you're treated properly. I use the RCBS bench mount when I use the single stage. In hindsight, it doesn't over exert with the specific primer assemblies, but the RCBS hand unit I own seemed safe as well. I'll have to re-read your post to figure out what happened. Fwiw, glad it isn't worse.

Shooter6br
10-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Had a primer go down the ram of my RCBS turret press a few years ago. Like a dumb A** .I tried to "wiggle" the ram to unstuck it and "POW". I had a bloody left thumb(the meaty part).I let it bleed over the sink. I did not want to explain the wound to the ER staff so as an R.N healed myself. As they say in plane crashes " Operator error" ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION

joesig
10-11-2015, 09:51 PM

It works like a dream. RCBS includes longer tubes now. I've been using an earlier "short" tube model for 35 years and never had a problem. One quirk with them is they have to be mounted at the edge of the bench unless you want to cut and weld the handle or mount on an angled base. I don't mind the overhang but I don't prime while watching TV.

There is also the APS style that uses plastic strips. I'm not a fan having yet an extra piece of plastic to deal with. It's up to you if you think the trade-off is worthwhile and want to stock the strips (I seem to recall there was a shortage of them a while ago.) There is also a tool to load the strips.

The Forster Co-Ax Bench Priming Tool stacks the primers side to side rather than top to bottom. I don't love how the primers are loaded but do like the overall design and would take it any day over a hand priming tool. It CAN be used while watching TV. I bought one for a backup (read: used at another location or to start off a new loader.) and like having it around too.

Mk42gunner
10-11-2015, 10:05 PM
One reason I like the RCBS hand priming tool over the Lee round tray version is that it has a metal shield between the primer being seated and the rest of them waiting in the plastic tray. Would that have helped in this case? Who knows, but it does make me feel better.

I do know I don't like handling individual primers. It really doesn't matter if I plan to seat them using the press's built in system or a ram prime unit. Twenty years of giving and receiving explosive safety lectures and training must have sunk in at least a little bit.

Then of course there is the friend I had that liked to repackage and store his primers in the little urinalysis sample bottles, (prior to use at least) the Navy used to use, "because they take up less space." (He was a QuarterMaster). I did warn him in some pretty colorful sailor language that he was stupid for doing that.

Robert

Alan in Vermont
10-11-2015, 10:07 PM
It works like a dream. RCBS includes longer tubes now. I've been using an earlier "short" tube model for 35 years and never had a problem. One quirk with them is they have to be mounted at the edge of the bench unless you want to cut and weld the handle or mount on an angled base. I don't mind the overhang but I don't prime while watching TV.

There is also the APS style that uses plastic strips. I'm not a fan having yet an extra piece of plastic to deal with. It's up to you if you think the trade-off is worthwhile and want to stock the strips (I seem to recall there was a shortage of them a while ago.) There is also a tool to load the strips.

I am now using the RCBS Tool you mention above. I like how it works and the fact that the primers are set in the priming cup and the tube moved away before the primer is seated. It might be possible to chain fire if one somehow managed to jam a primer as it is deposited from the tube to the priming punch but I don't see that really being likely.

My RCBS Pro-2000 had that mickey mouse strip priming device incorporated into it. They include the strip loader with the press outfit. However, the strips get burred up in use and then there are feeding issues. Mine got out of time on a burred strip and detonated a primer. There is a metal cover over the primer strip. The flash from the detonated primer chain fired three more primers until where the metal cover ended, allowing the flash from the last primer fired to go upward instead of onto the next primer in the strip. The whole priming system was a constant nightmare and I ended up replacing it with a tube feed conversion they offer. No issues and the primer column is contained in a steel scattershield which should direct any detonation in the tube straight up.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-11-2015, 10:36 PM
one time , long ago and still new to the 1000's and 1050's we had back then , pulling handles for the Old man, I had the stack of primer in the primer tube go off and blew the little following bar into the over head and lit my face up with the powder in the primers.
I would not go back to loading with that machine for about 3-4 months, had the scar on my face from hairline to chin for months...after that I would not go into the shop with out safety glasses (no. did not have them that day like a dum@@@) & I wanted a face shield too...after that any way.
I would be scared to ever primer with a hand held tool, never gave them a second look ever...
Love Dad's RCBS tool or even the 550 or 650 for doing my priming but always had to be careful when doing Military brass and make sure we swagged the pockets 1st....to make sure I did not blow another stack of primers or a new pair of shorts....

P Flados
10-11-2015, 10:38 PM
When I started reloading some 40 years ago, I considered the original Lee auto-prime to be one of the best tools made by Lee.

I could take primers, dump some in a clean tray and push them into the cases without ever touching a primer and with much more feel than I got using the priming function on my RCBS press. I felt that it did the job faster, easier and better than I could do with my press and the cost was a bargain.

Eventually, I stumbled across a discussion of problems with the Lee tool and Federal primers. I looked up the issue and found that there was an injury from a primer going off, and a lawsuit.

The cause of the detonation was not really explained. I checked today and the Lee site still has guidance of:

New Primer Information. Effective Aug. 2011

This primer restriction applies only to the original round tray Auto-Prime, Auto-Prime 2, Pro 1000 and Load-Master

These sizes may be used with 100 primers in the tray:

All sizes of CCI brand primers
Winchester small pistol
All sizes of Remington brand primers

Limit to only 20 primers in the tray of these types:

Winchester Large Pistol
Winchester Magnum Pistol
Winchester Magnum Rifle

Only 10 primers should be loaded in the tray of this type:

Winchester Large Rifle

Do not use Federal primers

I still have and use my original (and a second) Lee Auto Prime. I was a little nervous, but one unexplained event was "not worth" doing something about.

I did change how I held it when seating primers. I try to hold it out and tilt it away so that anything ejected "up" would not be toward my face.

I have not been using a lot of Federal lately, but do have a more than a few. Most of my recent usage has been Tulammo. CCI used to be my favorite brand and I did score a couple of thousand CCIs in my most recent re-stock.

The two additional detonations describe in this thread have increase my level of concern.

Even if held so as to point the "up side" away, there is the discussion of how the lower plastic piece shattered and resulted in hand injuries.

This is kind of sad, since my engineering inspection of the device indicates that this specific item could have easily and cheaply been configured to provide better hand protection.

The newer Lee hand tool (Auto-Prime XR) seems to have changes that they indicate will better assure no mass detonation. It does not say it provides any improved hand protection. I hope it does.

The Lee tool is still a great concept. It would be even better if I could be sure that I am not taking too much risk.

If anyone has any information that the original auto prime can cause significant injuries when used as recommended by Lee, this needs to be identified and Lee should probably be pushed into more aggressive action. A discount for people that would upgrade to the new Lee tool and while destroying their old Lee tool would be a start.

For me, I am leaning toward continued use but with a mostly simple plan:

No more than 10 for either large or magnum primers
No more than 20 in small non-magnum
Continue to keep the tool out and pointed as safe as practical

This is easy to remember, more aggressive than what Lee put out and will not be all that hard.

I still need to decide how to use up the 2k or so Federals I bought before I was aware of this issue. I may do 10 at a time with additional protection (such as a glove).

fast ronnie
10-11-2015, 10:40 PM
I have an RCBS auto prime. Two things I really like about it. (1) it is pretty fast. (2 and most important) you see the primer is in correct position BEFORE you put it in the case. I have had several primers turned upside down or sideways with other priming methods. The RCBS is well worth the money, even if you can't find a used one. (mine was) You also have a pretty good feel with it.

tankgunner59
10-11-2015, 11:31 PM
I use the Lee hand primer, square, and no problems. I have even had to put excess hand pressure on it a few times and it didn't have any problems.
Hope your hands, stomach and anything else that may be injured. Always better safe man.

Grump
10-11-2015, 11:37 PM
A LOT of posts here from people who missed facts from the first post and follow-ups from the injured comrade.

This is a good reminder: I have always somewhat regularly run a wet patch through my primer tubes to clean out the dust. It IS the explosive compound itself, and as noted above is a candidate for all sorts of misbehavior. In this thread we have report(s) of tray explosions without the primer being seated going off. That tells me that the hazard includes the primer magazine (and stack for the tube systems), not just the seating operation. The RCBS move-away mechanism and blast shield from the seating operation won't do any good for that scenario.

These reports of Dillon systems lighting up: Is the steel outer tube containing the blast? I can easily imagine how chunks flying from either end of the blast tube can cause injury, but I want to make sure. My ceiling above the press is indeed fire-resistant, but I should probably beef up the lenses over the lights, to keep them on in an "event" and eliminate the risk of a secondary electrical fire.

My feeling is that failure to regularly clean out live primer dust may someday be viewed with the same "that's STOOOPID" thoughts we now have for all our buddies' fathers who would clean off car parts in their garages using gasoline instead of safety solvent. At least our neighborhoods were all-electric, without a gas-fired water heater in the corner with a nice pilot light waiting to ignite vapors.

Bullwolf
10-12-2015, 01:31 AM
These reports of Dillon systems lighting up: Is the steel outer tube containing the blast? I can easily imagine how chunks flying from either end of the blast tube can cause injury, but I want to make sure. My ceiling above the press is indeed fire-resistant, but I should probably beef up the lenses over the lights, to keep them on in an "event" and eliminate the risk of a secondary electrical fire.

My feeling is that failure to regularly clean out live primer dust may someday be viewed with the same "that's STOOOPID" thoughts we now have for all our buddies' fathers who would clean off car parts in their garages using gasoline instead of safety solvent. At least our neighborhoods were all-electric, without a gas-fired water heater in the corner with a nice pilot light waiting to ignite vapors.

I blew a primer tube at work while loading on one of the older commercial Dillon presses. It briefly made me the center of attention in the shop.

A piece of berdan 9mm Makarov brass was missed by one of the case sorters, and fed in through the automatic case feeder. When I went to prime that case while loading regular 9mm Luger, my recently filled primer tube went BANG.

The primer tube contained the entire explosion, and all of the primers shot up into the ceiling. (missing the fluorescent lights) Spent and unspent primers rained down from the ceiling after. I was using CCI small pistol primers at the time.

To my recollection the primer dust had never been cleaned from any of the tubes, though sometimes I'd blow off the press and shell plates with compressed air. I certainly do make a point to clean primer dust up now!

No injuries were incurred other than to my pride. There may have also been a need to change my shorts. Ears sure did ring for a while after though.

- Bullwolf

Littleton Shot Maker
10-12-2015, 03:09 AM
In my case the tube held no problem, but the slit cut out in front sent the shrapnel right into my face, eyes, hair, neck, ears rang for a few. Dad laughed it off it at first but we took it serious, and we did clean the tubes but we think one pocket was shallow ( new brass too) and I could have seated it too hard but I did nothing odd , same old stroke just cranking away.

The over head was messed up. glad the tube was not full , but about half way full. Dad joked - 'Yeah just like back in Nam' and something about 'willie pete', that all it took I was done, went back to casting hot lead where it's safer!!

OH YEAH I have been told by very many "experts" how 'this' can never happen- BS- I used to have the scars to prove them wrong and still remember it like it was today what it looks like when the flash of those primers goes off right there in your face and no way or where to run and hide-- dang stills burns an image in my head even after 20 years...yes shorts thing for sure,

10-12-2015, 08:25 AM
I've set primers off inadvertently with my Lee whack-a-moles, but never in my RCBS hand primer. Thanks to all for raising my awareness about seating primers. Next move is to clean the device and find my safety glasses. Would never thought about priming material dust accumulation and the inherent explosive potential. And here, I thought I was a super safe kind of guy. Never too old to learn.

country gent
10-12-2015, 09:21 AM
WHen I talked to Lee about mine going up they flat out stated that uncovered primers ( no foil or paper seal) er te problem since they allowed primer dust out to accumulatein the tool. Both Lee and the primer manufacturer were very helpfull in sorting this out.I contacted theprimer manufacturer the next day afraid there were some over sensitive primers that got out. Somethings are not considered in the use by the users, How many are being primed in one setting ( like me that day I was over 800 308s in that setting working on 2000 cases for ythe high power season). WHen was the last time accumulations were removed? And the big one manufaccturers have no control over what modifications maitenence have been done and how. Theres so much that affects reloading tooling and how it perrorms after manufacture along with its original desighn.

Bonz
10-12-2015, 09:37 AM
The only way that I prime brass

https://youtu.be/S4nShKxk7Gs

mgread
10-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Hope the hand get better

fguffey
10-12-2015, 10:51 AM
I have R. Lee's book on modern reloading. My Book says R. lee did not test Federal primers because Federal did not donate primers to be tested. Federal did give reloaders something to complain about, they made the large primer trays. The large primer trays drove a lot of reloaders to the curb when it came to moving primers from the tray to the small round flip tray used by Lee.

In my years? I have found double clutching the leaver stacks primers, when a case is installed the top primer gets seated in the primer pocket and the reloader does not have enough leverage to seat it and 'the worst part' the reloader is using the extra primer to seat the top primer.

The bottom primer does not have support meaning when the reloader does not remove the primer and chooses to seat it in another case additional effort is required. Do not double clutch the Lee hand primer. Removing the case with a half seated primer requires a little thinking on the part of the reloader.

One day I started out to bust a primer, after changing from the Lee to the RCBS auto primer I managed to mangle a primer and set it off. It took 2 plus hours.

F. Guffey

Grump
10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
The only way that I prime brass

https://youtu.be/S4nShKxk7Gs

For $90, where's the blast shield for that primer tube?

What I'm seeing from first-hand accounts here is that many, perhaps about half, of the primer blowups have nothing to do with a primer in the act of being seated getting ignited.

I was skeptical about the Dillon stories until I thought through how the flame can propagate from the primer seating station to the primer stack. The way it happens might be more a factor of a trail of primer dust in the parts carrying the ignition like a trail of gasoline along the ground. The lower frequency (if there are any at all) of primer stack blowups with the RCBS-style tubes both on their bench tool and in designs like the Rock Chucker primer feed could be explained by the mechanism having no uninterrupted path of parts on which the primer dust could accumulate.

runfiverun
10-12-2015, 12:11 PM
I use the rcbs bench mounted tool.
it uses the same shell holder you use to reload your ammo with.
I liked the first one so much I bought a second one just in case they quit making them.
they are quick with a good feel to them.

I mounted it on the bench on a board.
by using a bolt in the center I can spin the priming tool out of the way when it's not needed, and mounted a canellure tool on the other side.

thegatman
10-12-2015, 12:30 PM
RCBS tool is the way to go.

mdi
10-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I never liked hand priming tools, they just don' seem to fit my hand (tried 3). I found a ram prime to be an excellent priming method. Many will poo-poo it because you load primers individually but I have used one for mebbe 17 years and have always had excellent feel, and uniform seating, with no primer pops.

seaboltm
10-12-2015, 04:56 PM
One reason I like the RCBS hand priming tool over the Lee round tray version is that it has a metal shield between the primer being seated and the rest of them waiting in the plastic tray. Would that have helped in this case? Who knows, but it does make me feel better.

This is the setup I use, for the same reason. Does it help? I would say yes as I have popped dozens of primers in my RCBS with no chain reaction. I ditched my Lee when I discovered this issue.

triggerhappy243
10-16-2015, 09:35 PM
I use the rcbs hand tool that holds only one at a time. even rcbs could not give me one of those tray types and expect me to keep it. If I have to have a primer accident.... well it will dang well be just one primer.

triggerhappy243
10-16-2015, 09:39 PM
QUOTE:>>>>>So I never want to hold a priming tool in my hand again. Still want to prime and load 50 cases at a time in loading blocks. Need recommendations for new priming tool.

[/QUOTE]
If you want to stay with RCBS, Look at their ram prime unit. That will be my next priming tool when my hand primer bites the big one.

Wild Bill 7
10-16-2015, 11:38 PM
I have used the RCBS bench mount priming tool for more than twenty years. Primed thousands of rifle and pistol cases and never had a problem. IMHO it is the best. Cost wise it is minuscule because I have never had a problem.

montana_charlie
10-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Was the primer possibly upside down?
That would be my guess ...

ukrifleman
10-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I use a Lee safety prime on my Lee turret press and find it a good piece of kit.

You can see that the primer is the correct way up and in the event of a primer explosion, all the other primers are safely out of the way.

ukrifleman.

bangerjim
10-17-2015, 02:56 PM
MANY thousands of all brands & sizes of primers thru my LEE square hand primers (2 of them). Never a problem. I have even had to crank the lever closed in a soft-jaw vice a couple time to get the primer in (mainly WLP's). I avoid Win primers when ever possible now. All others just slide in with normal pressure, mainly because they are plated and not bare brass I think.

Nothing has ever gone off for me. Accidents do happen. Unfortunately you were up close and personal when it happened. Glad nothing too serious.

banger

WILCO
10-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Accidents do happen.

Truth! Always be vigilant.

A pause for the COZ
10-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Sorry about your Kaboom. We have all mashed enough primers to know it can happen to any one any time.
I have a few different ways to prime.
For federal primers its 100% one at a time. They are the softest and I only use them in my S&W revolvers.

I use a LEE auto prime 2 the one LEE got sued from.
I made one upgrade that made it the best primer I have ever used. I added a RCBS plastic insert in the shell holder.
This prevents any primers from getting wedged along the side.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9266_zps660dc057.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9265_zps6aa9f007.jpg

The other primer I use is a RCBS APS bench top priming tool. It is a very good tool. It keeps all the primers separate from each other and has the insert for the shell holder. The only thing that drives me crazy about it.
The seating pin floats in a cup. Some times the pin will stick in the hole of the primer strip. If you dont catch it on the down stroke the primer pin drops inside the tool and not back into the cup. So it gets wedged at an angle.
This results in a complete tear down to reset the primer pin.
After you tear it down a couple times. You learn to pay attention to the pin to make sure it followed the cup down.
If you catch it you can just poke it down while the cup is raised. Other than that. great tool.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8875_zps176d8878.jpg

DW475
10-17-2015, 07:37 PM
I've used the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools and had issues with both. I ended up going to the RCBS bench mount priming tool and it works perfect. I've primed thousands of cases in the past couple of years with it and haven't had any issues.

georgerkahn
10-17-2015, 09:03 PM
First, so sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I really hope you heal quickly and completely! Secondly, I have three RCBS auto bench priming tools, and they are ALL I use! Further, Darrel Holland (Holland Shooting Supply) purveys either a super-charged version of the RCBS tool, or, as I did for one of mine, buy just his modification kit. I had had my dad make me a dial-indicator gauge exclusively for gas-gun '06 (e.g., Garands) ever careful re possible raised primer. Checking primers seated on the RCBS tool, using the dial indicator after the fact, shows unbelievable repeat-ability! Again, this tool gets MY vote!!!
BEST!
george

castalott
10-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Sorry about your pain but at least we can learn from your experience. I am going to be more careful from now on.

Another vote for the RCBS bench mount. I bought mine used and abused and it still works so nice! Anything rifle is primed this way. I have a collection of priming fixtures and this is the best. Next best is the old RCBS press mount priming tool. You handle one primer at a time. I like this system very much also. With a really good pair (?) of tweezers it is not that slow either.

Even when using one of my progressives, I usually size/ de-prime /CLEAN and prime before using the progressive part.

Put a Dillon primer pocket swagger on your 'to buy' list. This will save you some headaches.

One last crazy thought. I have slowed down reloading. It's not a race ( for me) to see who can get the highest RPM (reloads per minute) but how much enjoyment I can get from the reloading process. I love working with very high quality tools (everything in the reloading process).

BeemerMark
10-20-2015, 12:03 AM
Was out in WY for the last week (and finally stopped in at the local ER) so have missed out on the posts. I've come to the conclusion that it isn't forcing / smashing the primer (and didn't happen this time) but as a few other gentlemen have posted it's probably primer dust and maybe static electricity that set them off. I was reading the RCBS instructions and they direct you to thoroughly clean the tool every 500 primers. Something I never did in 20 years using the same tool, but will now.

The RCBS hand primer and probably the new Lee tool seems a lot safer. But as I said earlier, I'm never putting an M-80 with a lit fuse in my hand again. I ordered the RCBS bench primer.

Thanks for all the posts I appreciated it. My only concern now is once my thumb regenerates new skin will I still be able to bend it.

VHoward
10-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear you are OK. Hopefully you will be able to bend your thumb when it heals up.
I have the RCBS bench primer and it is worlds better than any hand held primer unit. You won't regret that order.

AllanD
10-20-2015, 01:08 AM
I have literally worn out several of the "round tray" hand priming tools without incident...

This includes primers seated inverted, and more than a few seated sideways...
I use mostly Remington and CCI primers, but some Win.

I use federals only when I'm loading something that requires a large rifle magnum primer (fed 215)

the one I still have that is serviceable condition sits in a box on the shelf above my loading bench...

I switched over to the lee press mounted tool when they were introduced, They also have round trays.
I have two of those, one each for small and large primers...

I have never liked handling primers individually...

georgerkahn
10-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Happy both you saw professional medical help, and that you made a great choice vis the RCBS bench primer purchase. I offer NO medical "direction" re regain of flexibility to your thumb, but can relate what's done here -- including my right foot big toe, which a log splitter tongue dropped on: Keep area pristine clean to ward off any possible infection (I used Neosporin); once skin/scar tissue was restored, I kept area moist with Bag Balm Ointment -- a salve purveyed at local farm supply store. I did lose quite a bit of movement in toe from broken bones, but using the bag balm provided amazing results re the skin. Again, I'm no doctor! Just offering what worked (well) for me. BEST wishes!
geo

John Boy
10-20-2015, 01:33 PM
There is only ONE way that any primer will ignite ...it has to be hit HARD & FAST to crush the anvils in the cup
Put these conditions into play using any priming tool and accidental ignition of primers can exist

NavyVet1959
10-20-2015, 01:54 PM
There is only ONE way that any primer will ignite ...it has to be hit HARD & FAST to crush the anvils in the cup
Put these conditions into play using any priming tool and accidental ignition of primers can exist

It would be interesting to see exactly how fast you need to hit the primer for it to go off. I recently found out that apparently a proud primer on an AR can go off with just the speed of the bolt going forward from the spring. Yeah, I have a hole in my carpet because of that. :(

Rdbronco
10-20-2015, 05:49 PM
+ Forster Coax , don't look back

tmc-okc
10-20-2015, 07:03 PM
For over 40 years I have used A Lyman 310 Tool and the RCBS Rockchucker on press single stage primer seater. I don't like the RCBS setup because it requires me handling the primers. Tried using their accessory primer tubes which helps to eliminate handling primers but loading them are slow. I have the Lee original Auto Prime, the newer Auto Prime XR and the Ergo-Prime.
I just ordered a new Forster Co-Ax® Primer Seater. I ordered it because (1) The primers stack sideways (2) No additional shell holders required (45 Auto Rim is an exception) (3) shellholder is adjustable which would allow the case to be more perfectly centered over the ram (4) Forester makes good stuff and they also stand behind their products. I looked at the comparable offering from RCBS but that product takes me back to specific shell holders and it is like a 4 stroke engine instead of a 2 stroke like the Forster just to seat one primer.
I have never had a primer detonate in all my years of reloading but won't say it will never happen. I believe you all have convinced me that the real problem is the primer dust and conditions that would provide a static discharge igniting the primer dust. Therefore ANY product I chose to use in the future will get a GOOD cleaning prior to use and every 300 rounds if prolonged use is anticipated. I will not be retiring my Lee products but I will be using the new Forster for the bulk of my primer seating.

Thanks to everyone in this group for your invaluable insight into this issue. I have learned something today and will be safer tomorrow for it - THANK YOU !!!

Ron H

castalott
10-20-2015, 07:42 PM
In Ham Radio, we ground everything in multiple places. What say you all for the idea of grounding the primer system?

NavyVet1959
10-20-2015, 09:32 PM
In Ham Radio, we ground everything in multiple places. What say you all for the idea of grounding the primer system?

"You've been a very bad primer system, you're grounded!"

castalott
10-20-2015, 11:05 PM
"You've been a very bad primer system, you're grounded!"

Awww Geee...... Do I have to stand in the corner again?????

NavyVet1959
10-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Awww Geee...... Do I have to stand in the corner again?????

And no copping an attitude and blowing up on me either!

3006guns
10-21-2015, 01:49 PM
I had one of the old Lee round tray hand priming tools and, except for occasional feed jams, it worked fine. I never liked the "ergonomics" of the thing though. At the end of long priming session my thumb was so sore it was ridiculous. I gave it away and got the RCBS hand tool instead because it is shaped to use your entire hand, but even THAT caused cramps sometimes. It also has occasional feed problems, but nothing horrible.

Now days, I just prime on my Dillon or Rock Chucker and save the RCBS tool in a field kit. For that it works just fine.

garym1a2
10-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Only two times I had one go off where Federal, out of a batch of one thousand. I have loaded many 10's of thousands of CCI and Winchester primers and never a problem. I will never buy federal primers again!

downunderrunner
10-22-2015, 09:24 AM
had a fed blow up in a "single action" hand primer, 15? odd years ago, never used fed's since, still using a lee, round tray hand primer, the key id to blow her out every 500, or at the end of every session, whichever happens first, and to seat the primer in a SINGLE, CONTROLLED SQUEEZE, a few hundred thousand rounds later, never had an issue (after i abandoned federal's)

DLCTEX
10-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I do almost all my priming on my Lee Classic Cast turret with the safety prime system. At least as fast as the hand held, with good separation between primer tray and the primer being seated.. I use it in single stage to prime cases being loaded on other presses.

Maximumbob54
10-22-2015, 01:47 PM
So how do you clean the dust from priming equipment? Does canned air suffice or are we talking a cleaning solution?

country gent
10-22-2015, 01:52 PM
A quick concentrated aimed shot of compressed air will get the most of it, but would recomend an occasional cleaning with simple hot soapy water to get all the build ups out. Dry out good, Then relube mechanisim and go again.

M-Tecs
10-22-2015, 02:20 PM
For off press I use a RCBS Automatic priming tool http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool but most are seated in Dillon 650's or 1050's. In close to 3/8 million seated I have never had one pop.

I do use compressed air before every session.

Need recommendations for new priming tool.

Before progressives this was all I used. I've had mine since the mid-70's. The only way to improve it is Holland's upgrade.

Very cool but not needed.
https://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/tools-of-the-trade-hollands-perfect-primer-seater/

Mal Paso
10-23-2015, 09:15 AM
I bought the RCBS Bench Mount APS which has an adjustable lever after borrowing a new RCBS tube style primer. The tube type seems to fumble the last couple primers if you aren't careful. One case of APS loaded CCI primers will set you up with primer strips for life. I burned up all the CCI and just load Federal now. The loading tray makes filling the strips easy. The tubes were going to need a better fill system so I didn't consider the loading tray an extra expense.

I have 2 guns with light firing pin strikes and the better leverage lets me use the right pressure to seat the primer. Reduced the FTF in very hard primers to near zero.

savage99f
10-23-2015, 01:19 PM
I just got a forester co-ax priming tool and it is fantastic
http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700679
I have used the lee and several press mounted ones and this Forster beats them all ..even better than the rcbs bench primer ..requires no shell holders ..has an adjustable shell holder ...very fast also ...I made a little tray to make loading the tubes faster ...

TheFirst
10-23-2015, 01:26 PM
I havent read all the posts, but, instead of switching priming methods over one incident, why not just wear a glove on your hand that holds the priming tool?

country gent
10-23-2015, 01:45 PM
When my round tray lee went, I would have needed glove, face shield, and leather apron. I had anvils in my face, chest, and arm. Also plastic pieces from the cover imbedded in me. The primer being seated never went ( it was well started into case and sealed off) but primers in the tray did, being uncontained by the case anvils became projectiles along with plastic pieces from the cover. The actual tray survived. I had just filled the tray with the 8th or 9th box of primers that day. Wife picked up about 60 that didnt ignite and around 20 that were just cups no anvils left in them. The one being seated fired when chambered in a rifle.

VHoward
10-23-2015, 04:52 PM
At the least, people should be wearing safety glasses when priming. Damage to the eyes is more critical than damage to your skin.

zuke
10-24-2015, 08:16 AM
Sound's like another one blaming the tool for doing it's job and not reading instruction's.

fguffey
10-27-2015, 09:31 AM
I think it was just a real sensitive primer, who knows why.

I have R. Lee's book on modern reloading, in my book R. Lee says he never tested Federal primers because Federal did not donate primers to be tested.

who knows why.

Who knows why drivers set at a red light and gun their engines? Who knows why a barber leave their scissors running when they are not engages/cutting hair? I don't. Same for reloaders, they double clutch the thumb operated handle when priming cases. Double clutching is a bad habit. The first primer starts to be seated, then the double clutch. The first primer is suspended in the primer pocket when the operating rod lowers. The lowering of the rod allows another primer to slide in below the first primer, When that happens the reloader looses leverage. Instead of stopping and unjamming the reloader insist on increasing the effort.

The case with the partially seated primer can not be removed from the case holder. then there is the damage done to the bottom primer in the stack. The damaged primer should be removed. My opinion, double clutching the Lee auto-hand primer is a bad habit.

When using the Lee auto hand primer with the round flip tray I tilt the tool to position each primer. I am not nervous nor do I have a problem with timing., I do not find it necessary to double clutch the operating handle.

F. Guffey

Char-Gar
10-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Always the old school contrarian, let me offer this;

Any priming device that moves primers into place without the assistance of the human hand can move them in wrongly and result in a primer kaboom if the right circumstances come together. So whether the device is attached to the press or held in your hand, it is still doing the moving of the primers for you.

Because of the forgoing, I will have nothing to do with any kind of "automatic" priming divice. I want to place the primer in the device each and every time by hand, looking to see the primer is facing the right direction and not standing on edge. Therefore, I prime three ways..

1. With an old RCBS hand primer with no primer feed.
2. Lyman 310 priming die in a 310 tool.
3. An old fashion priming arm on the press with no auto feed.

Yes, I know this is too slow for today's "get er done right now and fast" bunch, that that is my input on this issue. I have never had a kaboom of any kind in 55 years of reloading.

Char-Gar
10-27-2015, 10:14 AM
I havent read all the posts, but, instead of switching priming methods over one incident, why not just wear a glove on your hand that holds the priming tool?

Now that makes no sense at all!!! Hey just expect a primer to explode and wear a glove to save the skin on your hand. Let's just keep on being careless and wear protection. Not a good idea at all.

Maximumbob54
10-27-2015, 10:22 AM
I guess this is just yet another plug for Lee's Safety Prime. You swing it forward for it to do it's job and the results are just staring back at you. Hard to not see it if it's flipped or loaded sideways.

Alexn20
10-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I use the RCBS auto bench priming tool and like it a lot. I can get a good "feel" of the primer seating too. I have had no problems with it. Just make sure there is no debris in it. a flake of corn cob media could act as a firing pin if not noticed.

I think you will be glad with your new purchase. After loading with it a while stop by this thread and give us your feedback. I am curious to hear your opinion about it since you havent used it before.

Rich/WIS
11-01-2015, 12:04 PM
I have used the Lee Auto Prime II for about 20 years and find it to be the easiest and fastest tool I have used. Prior to using it I spent about 20 years using the priming arm system on my old Lyman press or a Ram Prime tool. I follow Lee's guidance and only use primers they recommend AND CLEAN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM ABOUT EVERY THOUSAND PRIMERS. Every time I open a carton of primers I spray out the metal parts with brake cleaner and wash the plastic parts. I use a cable tie with the end cut square to push the last of the primers down the feed tube, this is essential or you can jam or catch and flip a primer if it is not all the way in. If you raise the press handle before putting a case in the shell holder you can see the primer and be sure it is not sideways or upside down. I wear glasses and make certain to specify safety type lenses when I get a new set.

iomskp
11-01-2015, 07:14 PM
I don't think it matters what type of primer tool you use, the primers can go off, last year I had one go off while priming 44 mag cases on my redding press I lost almost all the hearing in my left ear, I am down to 10% ( 67% before the primer 10% after )in that ear, I now wear ear plugs and glasses when reloading.

TheFirst
11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Now that makes no sense at all!!! Hey just expect a primer to explode and wear a glove to save the skin on your hand. Let's just keep on being careless and wear protection. Not a good idea at all.

Let's just stop wearing eye protection too while we're at it! Are you really that dense? He had a bad experience, it caused a fear of something. For peace of mind, he can wear a glove so he knows nothing will happen to him if it happened again.

oldred
11-08-2015, 04:38 PM
I now wear ear plugs and glasses when reloading.

+1 on that! I wouldn't consider priming a case without ear and eye protection, it's amazing at how loud and how much force that itty-bity primer lets go with when it detonates! I have never had one go off while priming but, like everyone else here I'm sure, I have discharged my share of uncharged primers and I certainly wouldn't want one to go off near my unprotected eyes or ears, or near my bare hands either for that matter. Actually I have considered wearing gloves while priming but considering the hassle of doing so I never did, after reading this discussion I will from this point on use my soft and tight fitting TIG welding gloves for all primer handling practical, it just makes good sense.

ez4545
11-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Threads like this can help save a lot of misery and pain. I wear safety glasses when hand loading. I really hadn't considered hearing protection or a glove as safety measures. I'm considering a bench priming tool now too !!!

After reading this I will no longer allow anyone else in the same room when I prime no matter what tool I use.

zuke
11-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Anyone heard about the new LEE bench mounted priming tool?

http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/lee-auto-bench-prime

ez4545
11-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Anyone heard about the new LEE bench mounted priming tool?

http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/lee-auto-bench-prime

Thank you zuke!!!! I had not heard or seen the new Lee bench priming tool It looks like I have to have one now

VHoward
11-15-2015, 08:26 PM
That Lee unit looks interesting, but it uses Lee's auto prime shell holders, not standard shell holders. It does list for $39 in Lee's catalog. I expect street price will be a little lower.

freebullet
11-15-2015, 09:20 PM
I had a berdan go off in the hornady hand primer last year. Didn't do anything just popped loud. I was wearing saftey glasses, welding glove, and had it pointed in a safe direction. I'm not allowed to prime berdan cases in the living room now.

zuke
11-15-2015, 09:50 PM
That Lee unit looks interesting, but it uses Lee's auto prime shell holders, not standard shell holders. It does list for $39 in Lee's catalog. I expect street price will be a little lower.

When I first got into reloading I bought both type's/set's of shell holder's. I've never been stuck for one. Ever.
Bought'em when I was 18, I'm 49 now

VHoward
11-16-2015, 12:15 AM
When I first got into reloading I bought both type's/set's of shell holder's. I've never been stuck for one. Ever.
Bought'em when I was 18, I'm 49 now
I have a complete set of those shell holders also. Just pointing out to others that in addition to buying the Lee unit, they will need to buy an additional shell holder for all their calibers they load or plan to prime on this unit. Individual shell holders are $3 each or a set of 11 or 12 shell holders to fit all the calibers for $16 that comes in a plastic storage case.

eagle27
11-16-2015, 02:00 AM
I always prime in my press with the bullet seating die in place so if a primer does let go the flash is up inside the die. I do wear safety glasses and ear protection. Never have had one go off despite crushing one quite badly once, I always go slow and careful so I feel the primer start into and seat in the pocket and don't jar the press handle at any stage of the operation.

dudel
11-18-2015, 11:47 AM
I HAD A Remington 9 1/2 primer go off yesterday in a Hornady hand primer, a first for me. I was priming ZQI .308 brass casings at the time. Seems the primer pockets are tight as I had to exert more pressure than I normally do. Also, it felt like the primer had to be "2 staged" in order to seat the depth properly. Wished I had a pocket swager.

The ZQI ammo was from Wally World ($9.99 for 20 rounds) and I just wanted the brass for reloading purposes in the AR.

Slim

IIRC correctly, that ZQI .223 ammo has a crimped primer pocket. Did you remove the crimp? That would also explain the "tight" pocket.

Desertbuck
11-18-2015, 01:11 PM
I've never had a primer go off from seating it myself. And I still use my old Lee auto prime that has the old round tray but not very often. If I do I do wear safety glasses. But I use the Lee safety prime system that is built into the presses almost all the time. And I have to say from my perspective that is one of the safest priming systems there is. It's does not require you to hold live primers in your hand.
And like everyone says, these small little buggers are not to be underestimated in any way shape or form. Now how I learned my respect for primers is when I was about a year into my hobby, it was winter time about 20 below zero outside. Wanting to shoot but not brave the cold I found that styrofoam earplugs fit nicely into the end of a 30/06 case. I had a box of Winchester magnum primers that I hadn't used much of so I proceeded to prime a case shove a ear plug in it and loaded into my full military model of 1917 with its 26 inch barrel. And shoot at a box down the hall!
Next thing I know my ears are ringing and the styrofoam plug is gone completely through the box and embedded itself in the wall!!!

Ric-san
01-18-2016, 11:46 AM
I started to prime on my Lee Clasic cast one primer (away from your face) because of this...yea it's a bit slower but safer IMHO...

Chris C
01-29-2016, 10:40 PM
Bonanza Co-Ax.

Amen to that, Dan. Love mine. My thumb isn't in the way of a primer if it goes off. Some say priming presses don't do a good job, but I've never had a complaint about mine.

Hick
01-30-2016, 01:49 AM
I prefer the RCBS hand primer tool simply because it is set up so that the primer you are putting in is all alone with a piece of metal between it and the ones in the tray. Haven't looked at the Lee so I don't know if it is different. Thanksfor the heads up-- I think I'll go study the Lee design and figure out how I can be more careful.

eli
02-04-2016, 04:43 AM
I still use a Lee auto prime with the round tray design. I have yet to have one go off but I only load 20 primers at a time. I prefer CCI but I've used Remington and Winchester too. I recently found a number of Federal primers but I can use other Lee tools for loading those.
When I first started reloading, I had a large magnum pistol primer go off with a Lee Clasic Loader. That little heart-stopper was the only kaboom I've had, knock wood, and is the reason I use the autoprime for 99% of my reloading. I did have a LP primer load itself upside down recently, but the tool worked as it should and it was a simple fix, really a non-event, but for this thread.

OS OK
02-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks for this post. I have not had any problems using the Lee XR except that I have slipped a piece of radiator heater hose on the handle to make it ergo friendly to my large paw.
Using these comments here and taking them into consideration…'a word to the wise is sufficient'.
I bought the RCBS bench priming system, added another piece of hose to the narrow handle for comfort, stuck a small magnet on the handle to place the little tube pin onto so I wouldn't loose it…then started using it.
I wish I would have bought this one years ago. Love it, love it , love it!

MT Chambers
02-20-2016, 02:01 AM
Hard to believe that someone would bring out a priming tool and then say you can only use 10 of 1 brand or 20 of another, 100 of a third brand, and no Federals...what nonsense.

dverna
02-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Hard to believe that someone would bring out a priming tool and then say you can only use 10 of 1 brand or 20 of another, 100 of a third brand, and no Federals...what nonsense.

Exactly what I was thinking. They must have better lawyers than engineers.

Don Verna

rbuck351
02-26-2016, 08:48 AM
I had never popped a primer while priming a case until I recently picked up three Pro 1000s. I Figured I'd see what the fuss was all about without outside help. In doing that I found that the primer slide needs to be full or stop loading. One apparently turned on its side or did not slide all the way under the case and bam it blew 3 or 4 primers in the slide as well as the one under the case. Other than being surprised and ringing ears there was no damage to me. It did blow a chunk out of the primer slide and sent the primer tray and a few primers across the room. I have an older round tray Lee but rarely use it. A face shield now will be used while loading with anything not loading one primer at a time. Gloves will be used on the Lee hand primer as well as a face shield. I have been lucky too long.

pmer
02-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the reminder about primer safety. My first hand primer was a Lee round tray and I used it till it seemed to get too loose where the pin goes through the black plastic guide and got concerned about alignment to the primer. Then I got the RCBS hand primer and that has been holding up pretty good.

Bayou52
02-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Knocking on wood as I report this, but in several decades of reloading, I've crushed a few primers, but very luckily, never detonated one. I use hand priming tools, and in addition to the safety measures mentioned above, a rather obvious additional safety step is to always keep the case pointed away from the face/body while inserting the primer.

A pretty obvious step for sure, but then, I'll bet it's one that's not universally practiced.

Bayou52

MTSWAGER
03-06-2016, 01:48 AM
I like the RCBS hand primer, Have crushed may primers in it, never had one go off, I have blown up 2 primer systems on a 650 though, I first time was doing 45, and it was about 90 primers in the tube. It was quite impressive. Now when hand priming, i wear leather baseball gloves and safety glasses just because.

mold maker
03-06-2016, 11:54 AM
In 50+ years of loading, I have never popped a primer. Either I am doing something right or it's my turn. I've used the regular RCBS press mounted, and the older Lee round hand primers with great success.

ironhead7544
03-06-2016, 02:26 PM
I started loading in 1972 with a Lee Loader in 44 Magnum. I was a bit leery of using a hammer to seat the primers but had no problem for a long time. Then one day one went off. My whole hand stung badly for quite a while. Got one of the hand tools that takes one primer at a time and kept it pointed away when priming. Wore a couple of them out, then got the RCBS bench mount that used the tubes. Never had a problem with that one. I dont like the looks of the hand primers with a primer tray. I guess I was right about that.

Now have an RCBS Pro2000 with the strips. Took a bit of a learning curve but the strips work nicely. The cam needs to be adjusted but that is not in the directions. Also you must work the handle with a bit of a snap so that you hear the mechanism click. If you work it slow it may not come into position properly. If it seems to be getting balky, take it apart and clean.

I always inspect the primers after loading. I have found that pieces of an anvil can fall into the primer ram and embed into the primer as it is seated. If it were big enough, it might set one off.

Talon300
03-06-2016, 07:04 PM
I have not used a hand rig yet. I have always used one at a time on my RCBS presses. Back in the '80's when I bought my first pistol (a .45 Blackhawk convertible) and decided it would be a lot cheaper to reload. I called my dad, who had shot competition pistol (.45acp)and high power metal (.30-06) and reloaded. His advice, get a good rig and be careful! Told me some accident stories (didn't say any were his, he still had all his fingers and such), and said you have to develope a good feel when seating primers and seating/crimping bullies. He said you need to be able to feel when something is just "Not Right".
Many years and 1000's of rounds through the hands, no problems. I have crunched quite a few primers. Mainly due to the spring loaded cup catching and popping the primer around. Must have developed that "feel" that Dad was talking about. It's good to be reminded that anything can happen. But like others here have said, wear safety gear, pay attention to tool condition, AND don't hurry. There's not much more embarrassing than running across the yard, tripping over your own feet and landing face first in some fresh soft sticky dog poo!........with your mouth open;0

ghh3rd
03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Glad primers don't go bang by themselves when you carry condition one! [smilie=1:

exibar
03-30-2016, 01:32 AM
The strangest primer that I had go off unexpectedly was a berdan primer. It was in a 8mm Mauser case and I was using the punch and pry method to decap. The primer had a solid firing pin mark on it and wasn't loaded of course but still went off. Glad it was clamped in a holder in the vice, boy did it make me jump, surprised as to how loud it was. Got a couple dozen of the cases from a buddy who runs a reloading store and they were in his scrap bucket.
Still have a brick or two of berdan primers and will reload them any chance I get, just am a little more careful decapping them now.

I had the SAME thing happen ot me with a Berdan primer in an old surplus 30.06... punch and pry method.... although I was holding the brass and the AWL with my left hand, mostly pinky finger and palm, tapping the AWL on the top, and prying the old primers out... I hit this one and POP! it went off and I was wondering why my pinky hurt when the hammer was no way capable of hitting my pinky... as I thought I hit my pinky with the hammer.... until I looked and noticed that the primer blew into a very sharp U shape and decided that I no longer needed my pinky on my left hand.... it tried hard to remove that pinky finger let me tell you, it lodged in the bone and I wound up in the emergency room with an inside out section of finger :-( It was very inconvenient and annoying to have to go into the ER :-(
doctors were understanding, and I was careful to make sure I didnt' say bullet.... they got it out, patched me up, and now I have a neat story to tell with the war wound to prove it...LOL

its amazing the power in the primer... judging by how much it penetrated the bone and stuck in there, if that had hit my finger joint instead of the bottom bone section of my pinky, it would have severed my pinky at the joint they said.... that would have been MORE inconvenient!

Mike B