PDA

View Full Version : Sight in days

rockrat
10-10-2015, 11:57 PM
We had our first one, at the range, yesterday. I think a few came out, not to help, but to enjoy the sights.

Lets see, had one guy who acted like he was a pretty good shot, and his first round was in the bulls-eye. Second, not so good, about 6" low. third shot was between first and second. He then said that the average of the three shots was where the third shot was and since the first was about 3" above the average, he was sighted in @400yds and was good to go:shock:. Club member tried to change his mind, but no go.

Had another that swore his gun was shooting 1" groups , two weeks ago when he took it out. His group was almost the full width of the target, going up on the left side to about 5" high (about 9" x 5". Asked him if his scope mounts were tight (looked strange)and he said Yes. Reached over and took the scope ring mount nut and screwed it in about 5 complete turns by hand before it started to get tight. Rear was not too bad. Took him 4 shots after that to get sighted in.

Had some that really could shoot and some that thought they were pretty good, but really were not. One fellow had 411KDF that he shot once, then let me shoot it twice. first shot was on his target and the bullet almost went thru the hole of his shot. Maybe 1&1/2 calibers wide. Second shot was at our 227 yd gongs. Held off the right side of the 16" gong and hit midway left/right and about 4"low from aim point. Forget his 300 wsm, I would have taken the 411 KDF instead, it shot so well.

Sight in days are always interesting, to say the least.

Hickok
10-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Rockrat, I see some amazing??? things also at the shooting range.

I am always bewildered when I see some contraption with c-clamps, vises, straps etc. used to literally encase a rifle down to the bench "because it kicks so hard" and "this really makes it shoot good groups."

If a rifle kicks so hard you can't handle the recoil, either learn to overcome the recoil, or you better get a smaller caliber. I can't imagine what fastening a rifle down nearly solid does to the bedding surfaces in the stock and to the recoil lugs under heavy recoil.

rhbrink
10-11-2015, 07:14 AM
My home club has one coming up the first weekend of November it's an experience for sure!!!! I have been doing it for many years more than I care to remember and it's simply amazing at the people that show up and the equipment that they want to use. But every once in while you get a shooter that you feel that you really helped and that makes it worth while. Then there are some that you just would like to strangle!!!! We have some that come back year after year some good some not there are a couple that if I see them I get up from the bench and go hide for a while!!!

RB

Menner
10-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Last Wed my sons and I went out to sight in our deer guns. (Delaware is a shotgun only state) I have never felt the recoil of a 12ga 870 or H&R slug gun when shooting at a deer but you put those SOB's on a bench and it makes for an unpleasant day at the range. I made a comment about it on another thread and Artful sent a pic of his ranges standup bench that they use for shotguns and large caliber rifle looked like a good idea to me and I am going to build something like it at our range I think it will become a popular addition oh and he also suggested this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous
Tony

lightman
10-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Sight in days can be a hoot, for sure. I like all the non reloaders that leave their brass. And sometime you actually help a new shooter get off to a good start.

Hardcast416taylor
10-11-2015, 12:27 PM
After having `people` threaten to whip my a** for offering advice on sighting their `old Betsy` in, I just collected range fees and supplied the targets. What they deemed as sighted in was fine by me.Robert

458mag
10-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I avoid the range like the plague just before deer season for personal health reasons. Mainly to keep my hide unperferated. Its bad enough with the knot heads that show up with their ars and aks that set up at 25yds and blam away with their shotgun size groups getting ready for zombie season let alone the city hunters that aren't real sure which ends goes bang.

rockrat
10-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Yeah, it does feel good when you can help someone who tries to shoot and do a good job and will listen. and then to see them improve while you are working with them. Had a kid who was to go on his first Elk hunt. Had a Win.70 with a 4X weaver on it. He did OK at 100 but wouldn't shoot at 200 as he had been told the 30-06 wouldn't shoot that far???? Had him shoot our gongs at 200m and 300, then 400. He hit every one with a good hit and had the biggest smile on his face when he was done..

Others , you would like to give them their money back and tell them to go away.

Have another one Friday, should be a good one!!!!!

lksmith
10-13-2015, 10:33 PM
... I like all the non reloaders that leave their brass. ...

Yup Me too!

lksmith
10-13-2015, 10:37 PM
I avoid the range like the plague just before deer season for personal health reasons. Mainly to keep my hide unperferated. Its bad enough with the knot heads that show up with their ars and aks that set up at 25yds and blam away with their shotgun size groups getting ready for zombie season let alone the city hunters that aren't real sure which ends goes bang.

Personally, I sight MOST of my rifles in at 25yds as near zero, and then shoot at the far zero to confirm groups.
IF there's an issue it's easier to correct at 25 then verify at range.
My 223's, 30-06's and muzzleloaders get 25yd near zero.
300wby and 50bmg get 50yd near zero
300 blackout subs and 30-30 get 50yd zero since they are my short range calibers

Frank46
10-14-2015, 12:11 AM
I stay away from my range this time of the year. Although members only we are allowed two guests. Sometimes the stuff I see make me almost happy I don't hunt anymore. Frank

higgins
10-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Last year, a couple of days before deer season opened, I watched a man shoot a full box of 25/06 ammo in a 30/06 rifle. He had another guy with him, and apparently neither of them figured out what was going on, even though the rounds didn't sound right; sort of like when you threw a firecracker in a pipe culvert. I wasn't paying close enough attention to know if they got the rifle sighted in. I didn't realize what they had done until I picked up their brass after they left, which is the only reason I go to the range within a week of deer opening day.

Geezer in NH
10-16-2015, 06:35 PM
I totally agree , seems the same every where we are worst enemies for the gun confiscators.

Clay M
10-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Thankfully I don't have to use a public range..

But sight in days reminds me of when I was a kid..I used the hood of an old 59 Ford truck as my bench rest.
Those were the good old days.
Now I have gone and made everything complicated..
down to weighing the brass and the bullets..

rockrat
10-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Had another sight-in day today. Wasn't as busy as last week.

Had one guy was having trouble sighting in, walked over to see if I could also help. Next shot his scope fell off the gun and at least it landed on some sand bags on the bench. Another fellow was also having trouble and grabbed his scope to see if it was secure and it came off in his hand when he pulled on it!!

Another "interesting" day!!!

white eagle
10-17-2015, 09:41 AM
those are the reasons I don't go to public range sight in days
we have one around here at the police range I can bet that is a hoot
ya wonder why so many deer are wounded and lost each season

wch
10-17-2015, 03:01 PM
I learned a lot about rifles and shooters at our club sight-in days.

dragon813gt
10-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Our season doesn't start until after Thanksgiving and most people sight in the weekend before. Which is why I will practice w/ mine this Friday. Open sights don't need zeroing so I will practice shooting offhand. I avoid the ranges as we get closer to the season. To many idiots show up. It really is that bad in my area.

country gent
10-17-2015, 03:57 PM
We finally had to stop the open sight in weekend at our club. We would open the club to all (members non members) and we supplied targets benches and coaching. We had a kowlegable"coach" behind every bench. Not only to work with the shooters getting them on target but also to supervise saftey and make sure procedures were being followed. Most that came were friendly and wanted the help information supplied by the available coaches. But a few were real pain in the butts and some downright dangerous not only to themselves but others around them.... We had it set up with a coach behind every bench ( coaches were competitors in various rifle disciplines) A local smith and club member and I volenteered minor gunsmithing on site. He also brought some factory ammo to sell to those who needed it. Having the coaches behind every bech spotting and watching made things go much easier and safer. Most would shoot a group the coach give correction and the next was centered. We had made cork "spotting boards" so with push pins coach could show group to shooter. These also had a rough MOA grid on them to aid corrections. The way we did it it worked well but the few "problem children" that wouldnt listen, argued everything, got belligerent, and other things got it stopped.