PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2 good flintlock related sources on how to, any suggestions?

koger
10-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I am getting serious about shooting a flintlock ML rifle. I have one that is in great shape, getting some decent offhand groups at 40yds. Since I am a accuracy fanatic, is there any good books/dvds on tuning and shooting a flintlock. Also is there a source similar on making your own flints?
I have tuned flint locks, before, changing some spring strength etc. My rifle is firing fine, to the inexperienced shooter, sounds like one quick big boom. I am used to shooting a finely tuned caplock offhand, for over 15 years in competition. I can actually hear the flint scraping, powder hiss, and gun fire, all separately. This may be due to just having tunnel vision as it were, focusing on making a good smooth trigger pull, and follow thru in holding. The rifle is a TC Penn. Hunter stock and lock, with a 15/16 TC .50 flint Hawken barrel. The barrel is one of the first ones, made by Douglass, in mint condition and was used only for hunting. I have glass bedded it as it was a little loose in 2 places. The Hawken rifles are much heavier, so the rifle seemed very light to me. I took a 3/8 piece of cold rolled steel, turned the end down added a brass end, silver soldered on for the cleaning jag, painted the steel, to use as a ramrod/weight. This made the weight seem perfect!!

Last shooting session, I managed to keep a 3 shot group, offhand, in about 3"group at 45yds, on a cardboard deer target I made, in the shoulder. I don't put bull's-eyes on them, never saw a deer with one. Then I picked out a log with a black knot, about 40 yds and took a last shot at it, offhand, and cut the right edge of it. This was my second time shooting it, and before I made the heavy ramrod to balance it better. Now this is fair shooting, I guess, but I am used to keeping the bullets touching with a offhand rifle at 50yds, or TC Hawken or Renegade that I have tuned up. I know, it is a process, like everything else we learn I guess. Feel free to chime in.

waksupi
10-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Try the stickies. You're using too much priming.

koger
10-11-2015, 12:03 AM
I was waiting on advice from you! Actually, using less than 1/4 of pan, and it is at the outside edge!

Maven
10-11-2015, 10:29 AM
koger, Look at this thread & the associated links: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?45597-Flintlock-mythbusters

waksupi
10-11-2015, 11:40 AM
I can actually hear the flint scraping, powder hiss, and gun fire, all separately.

If you can detect this, something else may be wrong. Is there any contact with wood on the inside of the lock, or is the cock rubbing the wood as it falls?

koger
10-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Actually it fires fast, I am just acutely aware of it, and it is much slower than a tune caplock! I can just register all that is going on with it and hold an follow thru.

rfd
10-11-2015, 06:12 PM
sometimes a video of your shooting can help - you can better see how the lock timing and ignition of the pan and main charge are functioning. better yet if you can pull the video into decent software to examine the frames.