PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Score???

hotwheelz
04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I got this CH shotgun press at the show today. I have never loaded shotgun shells before but for $35 I can give it a try. Anyone no much about these?? Was it worht the $35???

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture232.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture233.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture234.jpg

2muchstuf
04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Is it all there?
Mine have a hole in the base under the primer punch. looks like yours is solid, unless I'm missing somthin. I have 2 Mec , one is old the other is older.

Bottom line: any press that loads anything is worth 35 bucks.

hotwheelz
04-06-2008, 10:50 PM
The best I can tell is the primer punch dosent go down and nock out the primer , it seems to pick it up and puch it out on the up stroke. I will knwo in the next day or 2 I dont have even 1 empty hull to try.

HeavyMetal
04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
It looks to be all there in the photo! The question now is what is it set up to load?

A quick primer for these things: they are usually set up for a specific load( such as 1 once 8 shot , WW aa wad, and 14 grains Bullseye with W-209 primer).

This is followed very much like a recipe in a cook book with the issue of having the cake "blow up" if you change the ingreidents!

You need to get ahold of the C4HD guy and see if he has any lit left on this thing. I had the same problem a year ago with a nicely built CH shotshell press. MY issue was it was set up for standard 23/4 inch shells except for the crimping tool which was for 3 inch shells.

The die parts aren't around any more and I donated it to an auction in the hope that somebody might be able to make one good one out of the two!

You need to find out what powder bushing is in the tool, it should have a number or letter on it, and you need to find out how big the "shot bar" is. THese are usually stamped in ounces, 1 oz, 1 1/2oz., 3/4 oz. you get my drift. What you need is a chart for the powder bushings and shot bars!

Once you have this information you can if you can actually put a load together. Bear in mind that powder bushings do work for several different powder but a lot of shotgun powders that were around when this rig was new are no longer with us.

Most guys that reloaded shotgun shells did so for skeet and trap! Not all of them but most. So I suspect that you'll find this set up for a 1 1/8 target load of some type using the winchester AA case.

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will have this info in Hand and be able to send you a copy? I have no idea where I would post such a request to get the best result.

hotwheelz
04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks Heavymetal, alot of good info there I had no idea what i was getting into just figured I give it a go looks like I need todo some research first....

floodgate
04-07-2008, 12:39 AM
hotwheelz:

I don't have one of those, but if it is like other loaders I have seen, it sizes the shell down to the rim on the downsroke, and lifts the shell up to knock it out of the sizing die using the decapping punch on the upsrtroke. The old Lyman Tru-Line Senior metallic press worked this way. I assume that we are talking about the nearest die station in your second photo, and that's what it looks like doing.

floodgate

HeavyMetal
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Don't want to scare you off! Getting a shotgun reloader tuned is no harder to do than a Star sizer is.

Once set up shot shells are easy, just remember to use a "recipe" designed for the shell your reloading and don't substitute componets.

Your on the right track! Do some reaserch make sure you have or can get all the machine parts, powder shells primers etc. The MEC book that comes with the loader shows crimps and such.

As soon as I get my windows dingus fixed I think some of this stuff should get scanned and stickied.