PDA

View Full Version : Finally got one - Pacific Press

Pressman
10-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Finally found a Pacific when I happened to have $$$ to spend. This one completes, almost, of examples of the Standard press.
This is the original color; it was available in black, blue, orange and yellow. Why???:veryconfu Black was the original color, blue I am assuming or SWAGing was to use existing frames after Deitmeir took over and before he had his new designs ready to go. That leaves orange and yellow. I don't know. There was two pieces of literature that came with the press. Both show the Super C which dates them to 1953 and later.

Now, I need to find a Super in OD green. I have blue and black.

Ken

salpal48
10-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Great Find Ken. Most People would Think It's Just a Bad Repaint Knowledge Is Knowledge
Sal

LUBEDUDE
10-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Congrats Ken! Great find.

TKG
10-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Let me know if you need another black one. Have one with four or five rams if I remember correctly. Don't these resize on the up stroke? Can you swedge boolits with them? I have never set mine up but still a pretty husky press. TKG

Digger
10-09-2015, 10:44 PM
very nice ! ....
Have a question here Pressman , with your impressive amount of knowledge ...
Going back in time , were there 3 or 4 different brands of machines utilizing the "kickback angle" so to speak in single stroke machines?
Among others , I have a box of leftovers that had some "eagle" dies and other pieces of odds and ends but the box originally held an "eagle cobra 300" ?
Caught an earlier thread about the same machine and you had some input also ...
These angled singles are a pretty strong loader are they not?
very nice Pacific you found there by the way.

Green Frog
10-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Ken, that's the first piece of reloading equipment (from any manufacturer) in that vibrant shade of yellow. Does it glow in the dark? :D The previous poster brought up a question about the "kickback angle" that I have never seen addressed... what was the purpose of that, just more open access?

Regards,
your friend the Frog

dsbock
10-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Interesting information. Do you know which style of Pacific press this one is and when it dates from?

Thanks.

David

Pressman
10-11-2015, 05:04 AM
dsbock; that is the Standard press. With the lugs on top for a primer feed it dates from just after WWII. The same press without the primer feed lugs was made from 1931/32 till WWII.

Mr. Frog Person Sir and others; The angle back appears to have begun with the Herter's Model 3. I don't think ole' George made a lot of hay over it. Unlike some of the other design features.

Around 1960 several other manufactures jumped on the angle bandwagon. The idea is the press is easier to use. I guess it is, but bullet seating is a bit awkward as the round requires more guidance to enter the die. Even the sizing die can require the case is guided in.

Not everyone made angled frames. RCBS A presses can be angled to the rear though I have tried it and did not like it at all. RCBS also made an aluminum block to mount between the frame and bench to add angle to the Jr presses.

I use a lot of Herter's presses and don't notice the angle, on other brands I do. One company even made wood accessory blocks to place under the Herter's to stand them up right. I have tried them and don't like the look or feel, some how it just isn't natural to Herter's.

Fortunately the idea quickly passed and all our press stand up straight today.

Ken

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I am assuming the "super" model is a little larger than the standard model? If so, I have 2 of the same looking pacific presses as in post #7, with one frame being larger than the other. Would that be the "super"?

Cool find by the way! Love those old presses!

Digger
10-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the bit of history on the "angle" presses ....
appreciate it much.

JMtoolman
10-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi Ken, I was just reading your Pacific information yesterday and later was rereading an old Oct. 1937 National Rifle Assoc. and lo and behold there is an ad. for the Pacific press. If you would like a scan of the ad. (about 1/4 page) or even the magazine let me know. Best regards, John the toolman.

beeser
10-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Like the stand-out yellow. I had considered that color for one of my Hollywood Universals but decided on lime green instead. Good find Ken!

ascast
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
nice find, and thanks for sharing info.

seagiant
10-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi,
I can't help but wonder how many people out there can tell the little differences these old presses have? (not me)

I have a permanent search in my bookmarks for "Pacific Press" being a fan.

From my looking it seems there are 4 or 5 of these presses for sale all the time???

Still waiting on that book Pressman!!!

Pressman
10-11-2015, 04:04 PM
The Super model has a stronger upper frame. Rather than the distinct "C" it has a straight back that widens towards the bottom. The pivot pin is also larger. They were made after the war and in response to Fred Huntington and others work with swagging dies. Fred broke a lot of them, so many that he began offering an reinforced version of the Pacific in his early catalogs. I would really, really, really like to find one.

Sorry, I don't have a decent picture of one. But the most noticeable feature was a 1/2" steel strap running from the pivot pin to the top of the frame.

Ken

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Well, I dug into my older reloading equipment and found something you might like Ken.

Missing the primer arm though...

Rory McCanuck
10-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Just to add a little bit on the backwards tilt or 'kickback'.
I have a CH press with a backwards lean, but 'modern' push down to raise ram, and didn't like having to guide everything together.
Here it is, 'laid back'
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Johnny_Canuck_bucket/C-H%20205%20Reloading%20Press/SSA52677_zpsa5eb48cc.jpg

So I built a little stand with an angled piece on it, and bolted all of that to the bench.
Then I found out 2 reasons why they lean back.
The CH has a heavy cast handle, and leaned back, it's balanced. Straight up and down, and the handle wants to fall forward.
When the press is tilted back, it also raises the grip on the handle, by 3-4" IIRC, enough that you have to stoop a bit to reach bottom.

Here's the riser/angled block

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Johnny_Canuck_bucket/C-H%20205%20Reloading%20Press/SSA53045_zps94d6f11c.jpg

You can't see it in this pic, but there's an elastic band aroung the primer tube holder to hold up the handle. It has some weight, and sure slams down hard if you let it.

M-Tecs
10-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Not mine but price seems OK http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10568804/gonew/1/Older_Pacific_C-Press#UNREAD

gwpercle
10-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Pressman, that's one sweet find ! I love the color ! NICE.
I have a press that resembles it, but it's blue, I thought it was Bair because of the blue color but after looking closely on the left side , is cast DELUXE , on the right is cast SUPER, on the frame behind the shell holder is one letter,( I thought it was a B), but it's a " P "...maybe it's not Bair ?
The linkage , ram and primer seater look like the one on your screaming yellow meanie, and the handle can be set for upstroke or downstroke use, it takes snap in shell holders, and it has that backward lean and a white rubber like handle. ( I need to find a way to take photo's, my camera is obsolete)
So what do you think I have , wonder why Pacific isn't cast on it ?
Gary

Pressman
10-17-2015, 06:10 AM
gwpercle, you have the later version of the Super. CoyoteHunters picture above shows the early Super and a pre war Standard.

Yours originally had a sticker or decal with the Pacific name. Now about the little letter behind the shellholder. It appears to be some type of casting number. I think. My post war presses all have it. More study is required as the letter is different on some presses. Like the orange one. Maybe this afternoon (in other words, time permitting) I can get a better answer.

Ken

gwpercle
10-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Ken,
The letter behind the shell holder is cast into the vertical part of the frame, it's 1 to 1 1/4 inches tall, a block letter P different in style than those used in the words SUPER and DELUXE.
I looked with a flashlight for any numbers , but didn't see any.
When my wife gets back home I'm going to use her I-phone to get photo's of it and the Eagle Cobra 300 you advised me to buy. Thanks for the advice, its a fun little press and I like it.
CH4D sent me a wire shell holder retainer for it and a good cleaning and paint removal got her up and running. I didn't want to paint it black, so it's still just bare aluminum.
Still can't get over that awesome yellow Pacific, never even knew they came in yellow !
If I'm ever able to afford a total frame off restoration of my fathom blue & white 1968 Chevelle, that's the color yellow it will be, with a white top....oh yes !
Wait ! Just had a great idea .....I wasn't going to paint the Cobra...but That yellow would be mighty cool !

Gary

Char-Gar
10-17-2015, 11:36 AM
I recall when Pacific sold steel bars that connected to the front of the press, via the primer arm and top lug with pins. These turned the presses into a kind of O frame. I don't have one of these, but have made several. They are quite easy to make.

Pressman
10-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Gary your Super came out in 1960. The large letter P is for Pacific. The earlier presses have a 1/2" tall letter on the right side of the frame just below the frame opening. This is what I an still trying to determine the significance of. I have seen B and C but no A.

Char-gar, as did Herter's for the 3A and Echo. I have a set for the Echo as it was necessary to use their swaging dies.

Ken

gwpercle
10-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks Ken,
1960's, going to write that info down.
And thanks for the advice to buy the Eagle Cobra Press, I did, it cleaned up well , CH4D had a wire clip for the snap in slide holder, it's up and running and it is a fun press. I removed all the peeling black paint, it's just bare aluminum now. After seeing your awesome Screaming Yellow Meanie Press I'm thinking that shade of yellow would be so cool. I'm still amazed by it !
My wife is going to take photo's of them and I'll post them, have a new computer and don't have all the operations figured out. Sometimes I hate computers. just when you get one figured out, can take, file and post photo's with it....it dies. The new one operates totally different and I can't figure it out.
Gary

dsbock
10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Here's another Pacific Press I've had for a few years.

That's a piece of rubber inner tube used as a spring to keep the primer arm out of the way.

David

Digger
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Speaking of Pacific Press ....
Craigslist .. how about that !
Link:
http://reno.craigslist.org/spo/5301115071.html

Uncle R.
11-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Pressman:
That is very cool.
I've never seen a yellow press like that - didn't know they existed.
Threads like this are one of the reasons I love this place. Thank you for the knowledge you share here.

Uncle R.

dsbock
11-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Speaking of Pacific Press ....
Craigslist .. how about that !
Link:
http://reno.craigslist.org/spo/5301115071.html

Wow! I don't think I've seen one with the complete primer feed.

Did you get it?

David

Digger
11-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Wow! I don't think I've seen one with the complete primer feed.

Did you get it?

David

Nope , just put this on here for all who have interest ....don't know if it is still available.
The price seems good ...