View Full Version : Dillon RT 1200/1500 die dimensions

Kilroy08
10-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm working on making making a case trimmer similar to the Honey Badger.

Being a budget minded person, I picked up a Harbor Freight 2 horse power router. Courtesy of every month's American Rifleman having a 20% coupon, I paid a whopping $44.00 for it.

It looks like I'm going to have to get the variable speed controller for it as well. There is no soft start on this thing. With one flip of the switch, it snaps to attention at 28,000 RPM! Big deal. After another coupon, it'll be $18.00 or so.

My next step is to find out what the overall length of a Dillon trim die is. Ideally I'd like to get a Lee size die and modify it by threading the top, counter boring it, and cross drill for chip removal. Since I have a dealer account with Lee, I can snag a die body for $8.50. I've got enough other stuff to get from them (Christmas shopping) that shipping will be free.

My concern is if the die doesn't have enough length for my purposes. That is not too big of a problem. I can turn the top down a little and make an extension that would be pressed on and brazed in place. Then I have enough to play with. I just need to know how far out I would have to extend it.

Material is free, courtesy of the scrap barrel at work. I've got no problem with using my time or labor. Making stuff is half the fun!

In the end, I think the actual cash outlay should be under $100. As it sits now, $70.50.

Johnny_V
10-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I'm working on making making a case trimmer similar to the Honey Badger.

My next step is to find out what the overall length of a Dillon trim die is. Ideally I'd like to get a Lee size die and modify it by threading the top, counter boring it, and cross drill for chip removal. Since I have a dealer account with Lee, I can snag a die body for $8.50. I've got enough other stuff to get from them (Christmas shopping) that shipping will be free.

My concern is if the die doesn't have enough length for my purposes. That is not too big of a problem. I can turn the top down a little and make an extension that would be pressed on and brazed in place. Then I have enough to play with. I just need to know how far out I would have to extend it.

Kilroy,

How about finding a die that has enough thread length and make an adapter that threads on as opposed to brazing onto the die?? Using this method, the adapter could be used for several calibers, reducing machine time (although I think the machine time is just as much fun, if not more so than the reloading). Also, rather than the 2HP router, check out Harbor Freight's 1.5HP plunge router for its adjustable speed feature. Initially the cost is higher, but could possibly save you some bucks down the road. Just my 2¢......

Kilroy08
10-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Those are some interesting points. The brazed extension would give me some extra material to work with on the die if needed. There will be a mounting piece that bolts on the router and threads on to the modified die. That way I can make a trim die for any future rifle calibers I might load.

Here's where things sit now:

Got the router. The 2 horse fixed depth router has two very convenient tapped holes to mount an adapter to.

A .223 size die body is on order from Lee. Turns out dealer pricing is $6.50. At that price, they're certainly cheap enough to not be overly heart broken if I make a couple "practice parts." After wandering around the local Cabelas and comparing different brands, the size dies are all pretty close in overall length.

Once the die body is in, I can start engineering some stuff. I'll be working on the mounting adapter that will screw on top of the modified size die, a vacuum manifold for chip removal, and what changes will be needed for the size/trim die.

After a little quality time with AutoCAD, I'll give my buddy the requisite payment of two cases of Coors in exchange for some Saturday shop time so I can make the various parts.

And my wife wonders why I want my own mill and lathe.... "Honey, isn't that too much like what you do at work?" Well, sort of. But I get to work on stuff that I want to make.

Johnny_V
10-09-2015, 09:33 PM
The lathe and mill sure are fun to have..... I've had mine for about 35 years and don't know what I'd do without them.....

Good luck on your project...... Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Kilroy08
10-09-2015, 09:55 PM

This was my previous project. M type Dillon powder funnels for .40 S&W and 7.62x25 made out of 304 stainless.

They worked pretty well. The one for .40 was the first one. I thought the step in the body was superfluous, until I put it in the powder die and it didn't drop down all the way. After the picture was taken, I did a skim cut on it a couple days later at work to reduce the diameter on the nose end half of the body.

Johnny_V
10-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Nice looking work. I have made a few funnels myself. Funny how when you're making something you often say "what were they thinking", then when you finish and it doesn't work the way the factory unit does you say "duhhhh" - ;-)

David2011
10-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Kilroy,

The Dillon Rapid Trimmer turns about 5000 RPM. Routers run 25,000-30,000. I guess you have thought about that.

The downside of the Dillon sizing die to me is that it leaves the neck too tight and I run the brass through a backed off sizing die after the Rapid Trimmer to restore the neck I.D.

David

ProfGAB101
10-10-2015, 02:15 AM
I have an original RT1200 (as in first lot sold) and I can measure a spare trim die as the motor is on the 223 die currently so the 308 is 'free'.

Note: That Dillon made a unique version for (7.62x39???) since it needed an extended motor shaft to reach the shorter case.

I will ask how you intend to mount and use it as this can restrict (or expand) your options.

I was thinking about making a separate spindle to mount to the die that would have extensive adjustment so you could trim down to a 32acp. length. Using an O-ring as drive belt it would be simple to get a 6:1 reduction and use a trim router as the motor.

My goal was for being able to trim 38spl very fast with .0005 repeatability. Using a Dillon 650 I traded speed for repeatability but was able to maintain 'good enough' with careful setup and regular cleaning.

jmorris
10-10-2015, 08:40 AM
my next step is to find out what the overall length of a dillon trim die is.

3.082" oal

Kilroy08
10-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the input so far.

Harbor Freight has a variable speed controller for the router. I was figuring I'd get that and use it to dial in the spindle speed to where I want it.

For the shorter cases, I could make a shorter adapter that bolts to the router.

Necks too tight? I have a spare .223 decapper/expander rod that I can put in my universal decap die for the brass' second go around in the press.