PDA

View Full Version : Uberti rolling block

gunarea
10-09-2015, 07:56 AM
In 2002, friends presented me with a new Uberti rolling block pistol chambered in 357 mag. It was a challenge to make it a shooter. Italian metrics do not translate linearly to SAMI specifications. Never has had a jacketed projectile run through it nor has it ever seen supersonic loads. The pistol until recently has shot without failure. Now the block has eroded around the firing pin hole. Uberti stopped importing this pistol just before mine arrived here in the states. I understand mine took litigation for the gift to arrive. Getting a replacement part of any kind has been frustrating at best and backorder for years at worst. Am I alone here?

Roy

pietro
10-09-2015, 08:24 AM

I would WAG that there's not very many .357 RB pistol owners here (maybe @ assra.com ?), that could help you out.

The pitted breechblock face can be repaired (replaced) via machining out a circular recess around the FP hole for a penny (coin) or washer-shaped steel insert - but since you got the RB as new, I would first take a hard look at whatever's causing your handload's leakage/erosion effect on the breechblock, lest the repair becomes as pitted as the breechblock face is now.

ndnchf
10-09-2015, 08:50 AM
What caused the erosion? That seems like a very odd thing to occur. Perhaps it's not eroded, but rather become concave from repeated firing with stout loads? Maybe the block was not hardened properly? As mentioned, it should be repairable by a competent gunsmith.

stubbicatt
10-10-2015, 08:00 AM
I had one of those pistols. The metal of the hammer nose was too soft, and after only a few shots, was peened in the mushroom shape of the firing pin. I sold it. I do not remember any erosion of the firing pin hole in the breech block, but the face of the breech block was "porous" looking with little pits in it around the firing pin aperture. In all the soft metal of the hammer caused me concern, as it is the lower part of that hammer that holds the breech closed when the hammer drops. I remember that I was concerned of peening on that part of the hammer causing the breach to no longer close securely.

In all I felt that it was a grenade waiting to go off in my hand.

OP, you might be able to contact Beretta USA who owns Uberti and ask them if they have the part you need?