PDA

View Full Version : Pull up or push down

abunaitoo
10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
The presses I use are all handle push down.
I have two old ones that are handle pull up, but never tried them.
Anyone do both????
What is the difference????

Mk42gunner
10-09-2015, 12:42 AM
I have used a couple of presses that could operate on the upstroke. Frankly, if you are used to a now normal down stroke operation, and the press is solidly mounted, the down stroke is more ergonomic.

If you want to hold the press in your lap as you load, the up stroke makes sense. The last two that I can think of that operate this way are the Lee hand press and the little Lyman convertible, Acculine?? (I should remember the name, I have one of them). They also work well for completing loads at the range, if you can manage powder handling in the open.

Robert

shoot-n-lead
10-09-2015, 01:14 AM
I have only used down-stroke presses...but I think that I would prefer it, anyway, as it just seems to be more natural from a leverage standpoint.YMMV

Rory McCanuck
10-09-2015, 01:34 AM
In the days before compound leverage, a guy could develop a lot more force lifting up than just pushing down.
My little Pacific can be switched to work up or down.
It's neat, I can push down on the lever to pull bullets or seat primers.

shoot-n-lead
10-09-2015, 01:46 AM
In the days before compound leverage, a guy could develop a lot more force lifting up than just pushing down.
My little Pacific can be switched to work up or down.
It's neat, I can push down on the lever to pull bullets or seat primers.

How is that...the weight advantage is integral to this and that is greater going down.

ReloaderFred
10-09-2015, 01:59 AM
I have a couple of the CH Swage-a-matic presses that operate on the upstroke. You better have your bench really heavy or anchored to the floor for serious upstroke work.

All my other presses are downstroke presses and I much prefer that method. I get more leverage and it just seems more natural. You also aren't trying to lift your bench off the floor.

Hope this helps.

Fred

tazman
10-09-2015, 05:42 AM
How is that...the weight advantage is integral to this and that is greater going down.

Lots of people can lift more than they weigh. You can also lift more with one hand than you can support of your weight by pushing down with one hand. But--like ReloaderFred said, you better have your bench anchored to the floor.
If I have to work that hard to operate a press, I'm going to get something with better leverage or a motor.

frkelly74
10-09-2015, 08:56 AM
I changed my RCBS JR2 to up stroke because it is worn enough so that the handle falls down and raises the ram by itself. So I would have to reach down to raise the handle and lower the ram first and hold it there before I could do whatever operation I was trying to do. I like raising the handle on the power stroke better for operations that do not require a lot of force, although I have swaged some 41 bullets using 40 cal brass for jackets with this setup. I also have a rock chucker that the power stroke is downward in case I need to really force something.

mdi
10-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, tomato, tomahto. If the operation required my weight pushing down, or enough force lifting to move my bench, I'd find out what's wrong!

Kevin Rohrer
10-09-2015, 04:25 PM
I use both types. The only difference is which one works my biceps more than my triceps.

Pressman
10-09-2015, 05:34 PM
the original Pacific's were upstroke and stayed that way until 1959. The idea was that using your leg muscles to lift the handle when full length resizing was easier. Your legs are stronger than your arms. It is also where the idea that you need a "strong" bench for reloading comes from.

All that changed thanks to Fred Huntington.

Ken

dsbock
10-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Is there a kit for converting the old Pacific press to downstroke operation?

Thanks.

David

Pressman
10-11-2015, 04:09 PM
David, since most copies of the Pacific press use the same ram, link and pivot block you may be able to switch parts with another brand press and get down stroke.

Ken

salpal48
10-11-2015, 05:14 PM
I have several That Use the UP- stroke. Mainly my AA Easton . The Esaton Super Only works with that. . You really do not Need as much force as You Think. . The force Generated In this position is a Lot different. . I found out The hard way Once If your Bench is Not Bolted to your floor . It will start lifting The bench up. after awhile You will not Know the difference. Depending On the caliber , You will get a Better feel when seating Bullets.
Sal

dsbock
10-11-2015, 10:04 PM
David, since most copies of the Pacific press use the same ram, link and pivot block you may be able to switch parts with another brand press and get down stroke.

Ken

Ken,

Any suggestions on which press parts would work? I've looked around online, but it's hard to tell from screen images.

Thanks.

David

fourarmed
10-12-2015, 03:40 PM
I have two old Lyman Spar-T turret presses that I use exclusively for bullet seating. I shortened the handles and set them up for upstroke use. It is faster, as you only have to pull up. You can simply drop the handle after the bullet is seated. Don't sit closer to the press than the length of the handle.

1hole
10-12-2015, 04:30 PM
The ammo doesn't care, so method of press operation is purely a matter of personal choice but modern compound toggle presses are universally down push. I started with a simple toggle linkage press, Lyman Spar-T, in 65; it worked and I still use it sometimes. But I home shop converted it to a compound linage in 2001 and like it a WHOLE LOT better now. Many of the old presses had toggle blocks that can be reversed to change the direction of operation.

Brass is pretty soft and malleable, that's why it's used for cases. Anyone who has to push very hard to size cases is using too little case lube, especially on the lower/thicker half. A lot of common lubes work as well as branded case lubes. Anyone still using a lube pad will do as well with STP oil treatment as anything else.