PDA

View Full Version : 25-06 Built on Mauser Action

mckenziedrums
10-08-2015, 09:22 AM
So I'm a Savage guy... and occasionally will pick up a Remington if it's a Varmint Special at a good deal... However, I was watching an auction recently and saw a custom Mauser build that just screamed "BUY ME". One of my many hobbies includes wood working and when I saw the stock on this rifle I just had to have it. The icing on the cake was that it's a left handed stock on a right handed rifle. I've always shot right handed bolt guns but I'm a lefty so for once I have the perfect rifle configuration for me :)

I've sent the check in for it so hopefully I'll have it in my grubby little hands in the next couple of weeks. Supposedly it was built in '64 by someone named Datus R Henry in Belgium. The doctor it was built for apparently loved custom Mausers as I've been able to find two others built by other smiths for him. (Dr. P Fenchak)

I was so in love with the stock I didn't even notice the trigger until I'd already sent the check in after winning the auction. Will be my first rifle with a set trigger and as I understand it the Canjar will be a dream to shoot. I've got a few Savages with light triggers but I'm excited to get behind one. Here's hoping it's a shooter!

Oh and yes I know this is the "factory rifles" section but I just can't get myself to post this in the military rifles.

Now... time to buy some 25-06 dies/components. New caliber for me!

atr
10-08-2015, 10:52 AM
nice looking rifle, good caliber and you can't beat a Mauser action

swheeler
10-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Sweet looking, I like maple! I don't see a thumb cut out on the left rail of the action, only the shroud/safety looks military. Good find:2_high5:

mckenziedrums
10-08-2015, 11:45 AM
I've had a few K98's and GEW's from a collecting standpoint but somehow I always found something else I wanted more so I've never had a Mauser that's stayed around long. Having shot some military K98's I certainly enjoyed the action (It's no Enfield... but it ain't half bad ;) ) so I figured between that and the gorgeous stock I'd be happy.

When I built my 30-06 target rifle I'd looked at 25-06 or even a 6.5-05 so I'm looking forward to playing with the caliber. My 30" barreled 30-06 is pushing 208gr Amax's at nearly 2900fps so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get away with on this one. In the cast boolit realm I don't have a mold for this sized bullet so I'm open to ideas there... Not every range outing is a drag race to the target.

nicholst55
10-08-2015, 12:42 PM
That looks to be a commercial Mauser action, as I don't see the thumb cutout on the left receiver wall, used when clip-loading. It's a sweet looking rifle, at any rate!

Larry Gibson
10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Very nice find. Does appear to be a Commercial Mauser action. Also looks like the rifle was built to be a long range varminter. I'll bet a quality 85 - 90 BT HP or ballistic tip over a max load of H4831SC will be a deadly combo!

Larry Gibson

mckenziedrums
10-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Shows my ignorance with Mausers... Wouldn't have been able to spot the difference between commercial and military without seeing them in front of me. It certainly looks like a hotrod, I'll report back on performance once I have it in my hands.

roverboy
10-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I love Mausers. Everybody says they have an extremely slow lock time but, a lot of them still shoot awesome. I own 3 Mausers right now.
Oh I forgot to say beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

knifemaker
10-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Gentlemen I think you are wrong about that being a "commercial" Mauser action. The safety appears to be modified military. As for not seeing the cutout for the reloading clips, you really can not see if the cutout is there on the left side of the receiver metal. I have seen several restocked Mauser military actions where the stockmaker did not include the cutout in the stock and left it straight line like it is done for a commercial action.
I have a custom stocked commercial mauser rifle, MarkX, made in Yugoslavia in 25-06 and it has been my favorite deer-antelope rifle for 25 years.

Bodean98
10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
It's most likely a commercial FN mauser action. The safety is the left side, low swing safety for scope use found on the commercial FNs. There is also no stripper clip cutout on top of the rear bridge as well as the absense of the thumb cut. It is near impossible to tell what it really is from the pictures. Close ups of action markings would be a big help. I can see one small mark on the bolt handle near the top but cannot make it out.
NICE rifle! Should be a great shooter.

M-Tecs
10-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Picture #2 clearly shows no thumb cutout. It is a commercial action. The FN commercial actions are the most desired. Nice rifle.

mckenziedrums
10-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Well... just did a quick research into the commercial mausers and there's quite a bit of interesting tidbits there. Tell you guys what, in a couple of weeks when this FINALLY shows up I'll get some nice up close photos and we'll figure out exactly what features it has. Was just reading up on the various changes that these went through. I can say that it has a hinged floor plate according to the auction description which does help date it a bit.

LAGS
10-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Very nice rifle, and I love seeing the pictures.
I have two mausers that I built custom in 25-06.
One is a Yugo 24/47 action, and the other is a Turkish Small ring thread barrel 98.
Both are accurate as all get out.
You are going to love shooting yours , I am sure.

Joni Lynn
10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Very nice find. FN rifles are an addiction of mine.
Congrats!

Elkins45
10-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Wow. Nice. Love that lefty stock, and there's no gun I would rather carry into the woods than one built on a Mauser action.

mckenziedrums
10-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Well.. Auction house cashed the check, here's hoping it shows up soon

Joni Lynn
10-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Best wishes on a speedy delivery and I hope it is all that you hope it to be. We will of course require more good photo's of it after you get it in hand.

Three44s
10-22-2015, 11:32 PM
You are in for a REAL treat when you get you mitts around that Canjar single set trigger!

Great snag!

Good snag on the custom Mauser/.25-06 as well!

That cartridge and the iconic set trigger by Canjar ......... a real reach WAY out there machine!

Best regards

Three 44s

runfiverun
10-23-2015, 01:29 AM
oh they'll reach out there just fine.
I shot a deer at 330 yds and a yote at 275 yds this last week alone.
if I knew I was gonna be using it as a long range hunting rifle I would have put something other than a 3.5 X 10 Vortex scope on it.
if you wanna do something silly and try some 400 yd hunting you can wind the 85 gr barnes ttsx, or the Remington 86 gr cup and core bullets up into the 3500 fps range without too much trouble.

Lloyd Smale
10-23-2015, 12:47 PM
I too have a markx 2506 in a French walnut custom stock that shoots as well with that interarms barrel as some of my guns with full blown custom barrels do.
Gentlemen I think you are wrong about that being a "commercial" Mauser action. The safety appears to be modified military. As for not seeing the cutout for the reloading clips, you really can not see if the cutout is there on the left side of the receiver metal. I have seen several restocked Mauser military actions where the stockmaker did not include the cutout in the stock and left it straight line like it is done for a commercial action.
I have a custom stocked commercial mauser rifle, MarkX, made in Yugoslavia in 25-06 and it has been my favorite deer-antelope rifle for 25 years.

Three44s
10-24-2015, 12:13 AM
I took my Marlin bolt at 435 yds and dispatched a coyote sending a Speer 87 gr. TNT through one lung as he stood squarely facing me. ..... it was it's last time harassing my wife and our stock dogs on one of her hikes ........ cut it off mid howl!

Best regards

Three 44s

mckenziedrums
10-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Picked it up today... I am beyond pleased with this one. Will get some photos tomorrow. And yes... I LOVE the trigger. Bluing is perfect, bolt almost looks like it was never shot. Stock fits like it was made for me... What a nice rifle.

Joni Lynn
10-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Congrats!!! These can be an addiction but it's a good one.

Three44s
10-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Yes, it's hard not to like a Canjar!

One word of caution however ...... like any "jewel watch" ....... they can get cantankerous every now and then ........ dust mixes with oil or grease and you can get unintentional releases ..... Gun Scrubber or such should get you back on your way.

At least that has been my experience with my Remington 788. I have no experience with any of the other versions so that goes with a model for a Mauser as well.

Just food for thought

Best regards and GREAT SHOOTING!

Three 44s

Markbo
10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
FWIW the .25-06 is my favorite white tail round hands down. I have shot probably 100 white tails and not ONE has ever taken more than 10 steps.

mckenziedrums
10-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Ok so the auction house takes better photos than I do... :)
151889 151890

Joni Lynn
10-26-2015, 01:57 PM
It looks pretty nice, congrats.
It would appear from the photos that you probably have the choice of scope mounting, use the mounting blocks or use mounts on the receiver ring front and rear.

mckenziedrums
10-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Yea I was happy to see I have some options there without having to get it tapped. I've got a line on a Unertl though so I may give it a shot and see how I like it.

Considering my winning bid was $550 + premium + shipping I am beyond happy with the purchase. The bolt looks like new and the bore is excellent once I ran a couple patches down it. The barrel isn't floating in the stock but I'm not going to lose sleep over that until I have a chance to get it to the range.

Joni Lynn
10-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Are there any markings or stampings on the receiver?

Joni Lynn
10-26-2015, 02:11 PM
Looking at the trigger guard I'd guess it's an FN or Browning (also FN) action.

Love Life
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Very nice! Just pure elegance.

mckenziedrums
10-26-2015, 02:32 PM
I rechecked the auction and it was listed as an FN. There are supposedly markings on the bottom of the receiver but I haven't had it out of the stock yet.

Joni Lynn
10-26-2015, 02:40 PM
There should be visible markings on the left side but they may have been buffed away during the polishing/bluing process. Either way,excellet adoption.
Most of the commercial Mauser style actions were made by FN with others being from CZ/Interarms and Santa Barbara.

Mk42gunner
10-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Nice rifle. I have always liked blonde rifle stocks for some reason.

I wouldn't worry about the barrel not being free floated until after you shoot it a time or two. Once upon a time, people thought free floating meant the stock maker didn't know how to do his job, i.e. bed the barrel.

Robert

Bodean98
10-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Nice rifle indeed!
You have a commercial FN mauser action. There should be an FN crest underneath the rear scope base on the front ring of the action.
Browning used a different bolt stop/ejector as well as a trigger block side safety and a smooth bolt shroud.
The stock also appears to be laminated. That should be one stable piece of lumber!
My feeling is you got an awfull lot of rifle for the money spent. Well done.
My favorite bullets for the 25-06 are the Sierra 90gr. HPBT. Extremely accurate and absolutely devastating on coyotes and deer.

Enjoy!

mckenziedrums
10-26-2015, 07:39 PM
It is indeed a nice laminated stock. With the Unertl that now sits on top of it the whole rig weighs in at 14.8lbs. I'm going to guess there will be no recoil, but it's not likely to do much other than go from the car to the bench :) Brassmagnet and I did some trading and I've got a pile of bullets to try and somewhere north of 500pcs of brass to play with. Hoping to get her to the range Friday and will report back.

Harter66
11-02-2015, 04:14 PM
I have an FN 98 with a Magnum bolt face and a side slide safety . I can't guess at its age but the importer was in DC . Yes it is a classic piece and no it isn't anywhere near as pretty as this 1. Mine has the very prominent stylized FN on the left side.

I forgot to suggest the NOE 260 120 fp . It is available w/w/o GC and mixed moulds.

mckenziedrums
11-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm sad to say I didn't make it to the range yet.... Anniversary is tomorrow and I spent the weekend putting down some pavers that I had promised back oh... 7 years ago or so. Better late than never on the gift right? ;)

Wayne Smith
11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
What is the twist of that barrel? Hopefully 1/10 or faster. If it is 1/12 or greater you will be limited to 100gr and smaller boolits for good accuracy. I had a Remington 700 years ago in the same caliber - Sierra seconds 86gr-100gr and under an inch. Sierra seconds 117 and 120 went to a couple inches. These were @ 100yds.

CLAYPOOL
11-03-2015, 10:57 PM
I like those 85 Grain Ballist tips for Ground Hog + Coyote work. Hammer of H***.. Nice stock.. eh Jeez Louise

mckenziedrums
11-03-2015, 11:03 PM
I did a quick eyeball with the cleaning rod and I'm guessing 1:12... 26" of barrel helps in the stabilizing department but I'll measure it here this week. Would be nice to get away with the 117gr but I'm no stranger to slow twists.

LeadPoisonTX
12-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Hello mckenziedrums. Did you get this Beauty out to the range yet? I was hoping to read your findings/observations. Did you get a mold and have boolits? I have the Cramer #56 that drops 90 grs at .260 in with my alloy (will Hi Tek coat). I will use these for fire forming cases for my 25-06 Weatherby Vanguard. If you need some samples, I'd be happy to put some in the mail for you.

Let's resurrect this old thread. Inquiring minds want to know: how does she shoot? Any blood on her? My curiosity is killing me, he he.

mckenziedrums
12-08-2016, 02:05 PM
LeadPoison,

Oh she's a shooter... I never did try any cast boolits in it though. The 87gr Speer went on sale at Wideners for like 50% off and I bought enough of those to keep me shooting for a while. I've swapped out the firing pin for a lighter one and I've yet to get to the range with that in. Hopefully I measured correctly!

Once I used the lighter bullets I shot about a 3/4" group at 100. That load needs some work though so I'm guessing I can tighten it up if I do my part. The trigger is simply outstanding.

Texas by God
12-08-2016, 11:08 PM
If you haven't already done so try the Sierra 75gr HP. My 25-06 loves them-varmints -not so much... Your rifle is beautiful and with that weight it should be comfortable for a day's worth of prairie dogs or woodchucks. The 87 gr Speers work great on deer as well as coyotes. Does that Canjar make your Accutriggers sad lol? Best, Thomas.

5Shot
12-09-2016, 01:20 AM
LeadPoison,

Oh she's a shooter... I never did try any cast boolits in it though. The 87gr Speer went on sale at Wideners for like 50% off and I bought enough of those to keep me shooting for a while. I've swapped out the firing pin for a lighter one and I've yet to get to the range with that in. Hopefully I measured correctly!

Once I used the lighter bullets I shot about a 3/4" group at 100. That load needs some work though so I'm guessing I can tighten it up if I do my part. The trigger is simply outstanding.

Missed that sale...totally bummed. My Sendero loved the 87 TNT with H4350. One hole at 100 and under 2" at 300.

mckenziedrums
12-09-2016, 09:50 AM
That darn Canjar ended up being expensive... I managed to hunt down (and pay handsomely for) a Savage version of the single set Canjar. I've also since grabbed a Remington one I stumbled across. So now there are 3 of them on various rifles in the safe and believe me, I'll grab another one if I can find it!

I'm kicking myself for not buying another 750ct box of those 87gr bullets... half price means you should buy twice as many right?! Still cheaper than buying the swage dies I was considering getting lol

Texas by God
12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Canjars were de riguer on our prairie dog guns back in the day. They were expensive then as well- but worth every penny. I apologize for the comment on the 87gr Speers- I thought you were talking about the Hot Cor sp. Love me some 25-06! Best, Thomas.