View Full Version : Has anyone bought Handloader/Rifle's CD collection?

AbitNutz
10-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Ok, I did it. I never thought I would but Wolfe Publishing had a $100.00 off each Rifle and Handloader through 2014 CD collection for subscribers and another $50.00 off for buying both. That brings the price down from absolutely absurd to merely preposterous.

Anyway, they're to be delivered today and I'm wondering if I can copy all the CD's to a hard drive instead of swapping all that plastic back and forth.

I'm also wondering how the updates are handled. I guess you just buy the next year (2015) when it's available. It would be nice if there was a discount for it if you bough the collection.

I know I'll just devour the whole thing and not regret buying them but wow! It strikes me like a sale at "Whole Foods"....$20.00 off of a loaf of bread.

5Shot
10-08-2015, 10:23 AM
I think I would have passed on such a wonderful deal myself...

dragonrider
10-08-2015, 10:48 AM
As long as you have enough room on your hard drive, it should not be a problem, How many CD's are there?

alamogunr
10-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I suspect it is like the DVD I bought covering all the issues of Fine Woodworking. Copied it to my hard drive and have enjoyed it immensely. I'm now considering selling my collection of Fine Woodworking(#1 thru last issue).

The only problem, and it is not really a problem, is that I have to enlarge the image on the screen in order to read the text. I don't know if that is because of my monitor or if even a huge monitor would require the same action.

Bent Ramrod
10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
It probably would have cost you that much if you had subscribed from the beginning, and the discounts make it a still better deal. Also, I understand you can search through the discs for keywords and articles, something that would take a while with the end of year, or even the 5- and 10-year, indexes that Wolfe offered for its paper magazines.

Handloader and Rifle were real "journals of record" back in the Good Old Days and a good article tends to show up with surprising frequency even now. I'd buy the CDs myself but have a file of the paper copies and can't see clear to spend the money for what would be mostly duplication.

(Also, I can't read page after page on a computer without falling asleep. The same article would be no trouble on paper. Can't figure out why, either.)

Frank46
10-08-2015, 11:17 PM
They did have annuals that came out specifically about casting. Think there were about three of them. Would cost less to find these special annuals. I have the three in my library. Frank

Tatume
10-09-2015, 07:25 AM
I have the cast bullet collection. All the articles are PDFs, and can be copied and searched like any other PDF.

fatelvis
10-09-2015, 10:16 AM
I would love to buy that collection! If the OP or anyone else wants to part with their discs, please contact me and I will take them off your hands as long as the price isn't crazy.

Leadmelter
10-10-2015, 12:21 AM
I guess I was lucky and bought the all the Cast Bullet editions in my youth.
Enjoy reading them now and then again.
Leadmelter
MI

NuJudge
10-11-2015, 05:47 AM
I have almost all of Rifle and Handloader in binders, and it takes up an immense amount of space. I have thought about getting them on disc, but have not.