PDA

View Full Version : Mowery rifle

washbuster
10-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Got delivery of my new to me Mowery .50 Rifle.What a beauty,for being made in 1976 its in great condition.Bore is near perfect, barrel outside shows some wear but gives it some class. 38 years and looks like its got lots more life in it.finnally stopped rainin so I'll take it out tomorrow and give it an excersise.The brass work is awesome fit and finish is on time.Just thought I would share,there's pics included.150699

LAGS
10-07-2015, 11:29 PM
I still have my .50 cal. Mowery that I bought New around the same year, I ordered it direct from the factory.
I love the looks of it and I love shooting it.
Mine is in excellent shape and is still accurate as can be.

bedbugbilly
10-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Very nice! I remember these well from years back - they were well built and excellent rifles. Nice wood as well! Enjoy and have fun . . . that will outlast you and probably your great grandson as well!

mazo kid
10-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Very nice find! Also, very nice wood; not the usual straight grained stock.

crossxsticks
10-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I met Bill one time at John Zink range @ Tulsa Ok. in the 60es. I think he sold Mowery gun works before 78 but they still were made in Texas for few years after he sold out and was all brass . then it sold again and i think no sure but was when the back end turned to steel . I had one of his rifles in 45 cal but sold it years ago he also made a shotgun same lock.

Hanshi
10-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Your Mowery is beautiful and that wood is super. You did well.

williamwaco
10-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey! I knew that guy!

He made beautiful stuff.

Maven
10-14-2015, 03:07 PM
The Olney, TX Mowrey's were more carefully assembled than the Waldron-made ones. (Don't ask...!) Mine also has nice wood, balances well, and is quite accurate. I hope yours is too! Btw, the original data sheet that came with mine limits powder charges to 90gr. FFg and specifies a .495" RB for the .50cal. rifle.

Old Scribe
10-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Beautiful rifle. I hadn't seen a back action m/l rifle in quite a while when a new member in the club brought his to the monthly shoot.

bob208
10-17-2015, 03:12 PM
I like the "odd" rifles right now I am finding underhammers. I would like to add a mowery to the mix. I was even looking at a hopkins and allen turn barrel rifle.

Hang Fire
10-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Beautiful rifle. I hadn't seen a back action m/l rifle in quite a while when a new member in the club brought his to the monthly shoot.

They are not a back action but use a harp/horseshoe looking main spring. If rifle is used often, get ready for the main spring to break, so start looking for a spare.

fouronesix
10-18-2015, 09:32 PM
They are not a back action but use a harp/horseshoe looking main spring. If rifle is used often, get ready for the main spring to break, so start looking for a spare.

I've never owned one but have known a couple. Also watch for (or check if purchasing one) the hammer/tumbler spindle - receiver bearing contact area. That's a known area of design weakness with the spindle not well supported in the receiver wall. Apparently some become loose and wobbly with use and are a bugger to repair.

Newtire
11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
I just picked one up a few months ago. It's in .50 caliber with a 1-30 " twist rate.

It would seem like a good twist for a conical but I' m told conicals like a shallow depth of rifling. This one looks like deeper cut grooves. Haven't slugged it but are definitely cut deeper than a T/C, a Dixie squirrel rifle or a Zouave (for sure) that I have.

Anyone have any experience with these in real life that could shed a little light on what to shoot in these things?

Is a pretty nice looking rifle with a real tight little steel buttplate curve, made to slice thru your arm or shoulder if not held correctly.