PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

redriverhunter
10-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Today I was at the gun range and saw a father and young son maybe 5 or less. The boy looked to be left eye dominate, because he was try shoot with his left on a right handed gun held to his right shoulder. I told the farther that his some maybe left eye dominate. He said his son could not close his left eye. I said ok. would you say anything?

country gent
10-06-2015, 10:00 PM
It would depend on several things that have to be "judged" on the spot or spur of the moment. How the father appears to accept help, How interested the son appears, And If it looks like it is "worth your time". Some welcomne help and advice some seem to tolerate it, and a few get down right upset. If in doubt the wise thing is to walk away. I have worked with Juniors in high power and some parents are very supportive and willing to help out. A very few will try and undo your instructions. I have seen this and learned to deal with it as best it can. Its hard at times to sit back and watch but at times its needed before the instructions will take hold.

country gent
10-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Another thing to think about is most good shooters keep both eyes open.

kentuckyshooter
10-06-2015, 11:09 PM
I am self taught for the most part and while i have had some very good convesations with people i have meet at the local range i general dont offer advice unlooked for unless there is a safty concern.

osteodoc08
10-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Quick test. Hold hands together and make an open diamond using the thumbs and fingers. Look at an object 50 feet away and close one eye. Whichever eye is looking through the diamond is the dominant eye. Equip and shoot accordingly.

Perhaps suggest the "test" and let dad use the info as he sees fit

See other thread on advise at range for a good discussion on that subject

kentuckyshooter
10-07-2015, 12:53 AM
The only problem i have with the eye test theory is that im a weirdo that it doesnt work on. My eyes are codominant. I like to never learned to read as a kid becouase everything was dubble. As i got older i learned to cope with it. On the flip side i can shoot left or right handed with out any real difrence on target.

Col4570
10-07-2015, 03:03 AM
With Shotguns it is important to consider dominant eye problems.It is not uncommon for some to have a Crossover Stock made to accommodate this.With a Rifle I would think that the effort to look through the Sights with the wrong Eye would be near impossible.We all know how awkward it feels to mount a Gun or Rifle on the opposite Shoulder and if the Dominant Eye does not match your dominant Shoulder it present true difficulties.The act of cycling a Right Handed Bolt Action Rifle when it is on the left Shoulder is sometimes a problem unless you are ambidextrous.

VA Shooter
10-07-2015, 07:35 AM
My daughter could not close her eye so my wife made her a eye patch until she could close her eye

BrassMagnet
10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
The kid should be wearing safety glasses.
A piece of scotch tape over the non-shooting eye will reduce its visual acuity and the shooting eye will become dominate.

blackthorn
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
My oldest son is left hand dominant. When he was 8 or 9 I started him target shooting at our local club. All the club rifles were right hand bolt actions. After the second session he decided to learn to shoot right handed. He is 55 now and has always shot right handed. Pretty much all he does right handed though.

Harter66
10-07-2015, 11:36 AM
See the American sniper in Saving Private Ryan.

I shot left eyed most of my life . A bout of run away BP fixed that and I now shoot which ever is most comfortable at the moment. ..... snap shot shotgun will be on the left side every time even if the trigger grip is in my right hand at the unexpected flush .

If a kid especially a young kid is crowding over the stock or can't close 1 eye or the other it is much easier to teach them to shoot to the no wink eye that wants to be in charge even if it is the weaker eye. (Vision wise ) . When my youngest was a devoted lefty I was pretty happy as it would give me an excuse to have another "hangover" gun or 2 around ....... he shoots close on the left and far on the right and just whatever shotguning .

If the dad was receptive I'd suggest he try it left eyed . If not then maybe a casual passing remark about gifted lefties and move along.

PS Paul
10-07-2015, 07:16 PM
I would personally mind my own business, which is what I appreciate from others when I'm at any range.
If asked for advice, I would gladly offer it.

starmac
10-07-2015, 09:21 PM
I would personally mind my own business, which is what I appreciate from others when I'm at any range.
If asked for advice, I would gladly offer it.

Pretty much my thinking. I shoot left handed because of the eye thing, so I might just mention that is the reason I shoot lefty, but unless asked that is about as far as I would go.

TXGunNut
10-07-2015, 11:31 PM
My dad was a lefty, could use either hand for most anything. I was a PPC shooter, I shoot a pistol pretty well with either hand. With my current eyeglass Rx I actually see my sights better when shooting lefty. Silly progressive lenses!
Eye dominance (and cross-eye dominance) are not subjects for a casual range conversation. I would have broached the subject carefully and proceeded only if the response was receptive.

leadman
10-08-2015, 04:33 AM
If I see someone struggling, especially trying to sight in a high power rifle if I have the time I offer my help. I always have my Leadsled and have a range box with a few tools in it.
Most of the shooters are thankful for the help and are grateful for me only using 2 rounds to sight in their gun. I remember one guy that was trying to sight in his gun, my friend and I offered our help after he went thru 2 boxes of ammo. He took us up on the offer after he finished off the third box.

Yodogsandman
10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Unless it was a safety related problem, I would have been supportive to the the father and given praise to the son for his efforts. Then walked away and maybe watched from the truck.Those moments are just too precious to step into, one way or the other. I would have been smugly amused that another young shooter was on his way.

At the sons young age, it's all about making it fun and entertaining. I might suggest they shoot at balloons, clay pigeons or the like, reactive type targets.

Geezer in NH
10-08-2015, 08:09 PM
If asked for advice, I would gladly offer it.Yep mind your own IMHO

Geezer in NH
10-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Today I was at the gun range and saw a father and young son maybe 5 or less. The boy looked to be left eye dominate, because he was try shoot with his left on a right handed gun held to his right shoulder. I told the farther that his some maybe left eye dominate. He said his son could not close his left eye. I said ok. would you say anything?

Mind my own business. Just who do you think you are?????????????

garym1a2
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I would recommend a red dot. Get him to enjoy shooting first. He can work on the rest after he devlop better motor skills.

abunaitoo
10-08-2015, 10:50 PM
From my experience, most fathers don't like it when someone gives suggestions in front of their kid.
I guess they think it makes them look like they didn't know something they should have.
I normally try to first make small talk with the father to see what kind of person he is.
Get some idea how much shooting he does.
If he comes off as a "know it all", I just walk away.
If he seem to be open to suggestions, I tell him some of my "observations".
It usually works out well for all of us.
I also try to bring a .22 swinging target to the range for young shooters.
I think they learn better if they can see the hit, and not just a hole in paper.

FISH4BUGS
10-10-2015, 04:30 PM
I am blind in my right eye, thus shoot left handed. I am right handed. All my rifles are right handed and I shoot a handgun just moved over ever so slightly sighting with the left eye.
Plus, shooting machine guns.....who cares?
What's the big deal?