PDA

View Full Version : primers/wax bullets

jmills
10-06-2015, 09:38 PM
hi im new to the group. how are yall. im just getting into wax bullets. im trying to find something i can do at the house instead of going to the range all the time. wax bullets are cheap and easy. i shot a few and like it. problem is i stay in an apt and the "pop" is to loud.:cry: im not trying to get into trouble. my question is.. is there a way i can muffle the pop alil so the neigbors wont hear (or atleast be bothered by it) besides doing the suppressor idea. i dont have 200$ for that when i wont use it forreal. any ideas will help from which primer to use to making the wax bullet?

o i dont have any experience in reloading. i made my first bullet maybe a week ago. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

useing 9mm pistol, blazer brass, and federal small magnum pistol primers

30Carbine
10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Well i'll start this get rid of the magnum primers there not needed and a waste. second I use hot glue boolits in winter in the shop, I also don't have neighbors next door. the magnum primers are a little louder than say Winchester wsp's. I use those and you can not hear them out side the shop door. load a few of regular small pistol primers and give them a shot. also one more thing make sure the boolit you use is kind of a slip fit, were you can pull or push it out of the case with you fingers. I use once fired in the pistol I use not sized load new primers in and go. use a block of wood drill a hole just bigger than the primer all the way through it, then drill a hole half way through the size of the case. put case in block use punch that fit through flash hole knock primer out. load new primer on press load glue boolit and fire.

jmills
10-07-2015, 12:23 PM
OK I'll try the reg small pistol primers. What kind of door do you have in the shop? I think my walls might be alil thick cause I can't hear no TV or radio. But its drywall

tja6435
10-07-2015, 12:36 PM
The report will lessen with standard primers and seating the wax bullet out as far as possible. The deeper the wax bullet is pushed into the case, the louder the report will be. I've shot a lot in my backyard, quieter than an air rifle, but not silent by any means.
I gave my dad a set of 38spl brass for use with wax bullets for some feral cat persuasion, they certainly work well for that and don't maim/kill.

Uncle R.
10-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Give some thought to where you do the actual shooting.
Firing primers scatters some pretty nasty stuff. Spreading that residue through your garage or (Even worse!) you home might not be smart. It's something to think about.

Uncle R.

jmills
10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks for those tips. I'll try them tonight when I get off. It don't have to be quite just not to loud. Lol. And them damn cats. Sounds like a good idea

bangerjim
10-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Shooting primers inside is a nasty thing....for your lungs!!! I only do it with VERY good ventilation. That means open doors/windows which means noise exits which means the neighbors can hear it. Where I live the laws are "no projectile shall be fire that uses either primers or powder as a propellant." Air guns/BB guns/bows are OK. Not live ammo or primers!

That said, I would forget shooting inside an apartment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG.

If you do use HMG, you can cast real shapes with your molds. The mold is cooled with ice cubes, PAM is the lube/release agent and you get perfect HMG boolits. You must use a trigger style HMG gun to injection mold the glue into the cavities. Your thumb will not be strong enough just pushing on the end of a glue stick like those uber-cheapo guns do. Inject FAST and HARD!

Some have used glue sticks just cut off stuffed into 45LC cases...........if you are lucky enough to find the exact size of stick. Most do not work.

You can mix up "shooting wax" and cookie cut wadcutter like boolits with the cases. Load 1st, then prime or the air will force the wax out generally.

Do not use mag primers.

But...........Stick with real light-loaded ammo at a range! And have fun!

banger

Yodogsandman
10-07-2015, 05:23 PM
I believe that Federal primers are lead-free, if you must shoot indoors.

jmills
10-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks I'll check into that

anotherred
10-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Thats whats I was thinking, some of the nontoxic primers.