PDA

View Full Version : Marines

Mauser48
10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
I have a question for the marines/marine vets out there. Im thinking about joining the marines. What was your guys experience while in? Another thing I'm not sure about is picking a MOS. I would really like to sign up for infantry and try to be picked as a scout sniper but not sure if this is the right way to go. Any advice or stories are appreciated. Thanks guys.

bstone5
10-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Went in 1965 out 1967, drafted into the Corp.

Working as a machinist at the time, took a test in Boot Camp about machine shop practices, made a perfect score on test, Marine Corp put me in a machine shop.

Put new barrels on bolt action rifles for long distance shooting, did this type of work previously before going into the Marines.

Boot Camp was a little rough but the rest of the time was good putting together rifles an a lot of long distance shooting to test the newly configurated rifles.

The rifles went into units shooting at other people overseas.

A time for everything since the draft was still in practice at the time.

Went to school after the Corp became an Electrical Engineer working on OffShore drilling units.

Still working as an Engineer.

At 70 still assemble rifles for long range hunting.

The Marines at the time decided on your MOS, a lot in the boot camp group went into the infantry and a lot died in Vet Nam.

oldblinddog
10-06-2015, 08:27 PM
How old are you? What do/can you do now? What do you want to do in the future?

In order to get a chance at Scout/Sniper from an MOS of 0311 (rifleman) you will have to qualify Expert with the M16A2 first. That looks and sounds like fun right now, but the answers to those other questions will mean far more later.

Mauser48
10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Im 16 now. In the future I would like to become an engineer or something along those lines. I have a colt hbar which is what I believe they are using as the rifles in basic training and I am confident I can score expert. I know they used these rifles with iron sights but are they using acogs on them now in basic? I just took the acog of mine and have been shooting that rifle for 10 years now.

oldblinddog
10-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Then go be an engineer. Then become a Marine officer.

wv109323
10-06-2015, 09:03 PM
If rifle shooting was my thing, I would look into the Army and try to get on the Marksmanship Training Unit. They shoot 24/7.
I would recommend getting into an area that would skill you for a vocation in the business world or an area that would help for college tuition. There is not much demand for a sniper in the job market.
There are vast areas in electronics,computer,communications and as mentioned machinist.

MUSTANG
10-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Mauser48:

From the perspective of an old Jarhead that served 10 years enlisted and 13 commissioned.

1. In the Corps "Every Marine is a Rifleman". Perfect practice makes perfect. You seem to have a couple of years before you are old enough to enlist, so in the mean time enter three to four Civilian High Power Rifle matches each year (200 to 500/600 yard matches - not the 100 yard reduced courses).

Your goal is to shoot a score each time that equates to a Marine Rifle Expert on the Known Distance Marine Qualification courses. This should stand you in good stead in Boot Camp and follow on years to be a Marine Rifle Expert.

2. Speak with your local Marine Recruiter and see what fields are available to you. You want to score the best you can on the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test) as they indicate what fields you can qualify for - including Infantry 03 MOS.

3. In the Corps, you will be assigned an MOS based on the "Needs of the Corps". It could very well be that you could be assigned an MOS other than what you are looking for. You can improve your chances by scoring well on the ASVAB.

If you are not in the field you wanted you can request a lateral MOS change after a couple of years. You can improve chances of a lateral move by qualifying as an Expert Rifleman, and doing "Marine Extension Courses" that enhance your request for being assigned to Marine Sniper School (Courses such as small unit tactics, Intelligence, navigation, field craft, Armory, Artillery and Close Air Support, etc.. should be on the list).

4. Although not the popular perception; Intelligence Gathering is the principle application of Sniper Teams in the Corps, not the Sniper shooting aspect. Marine Sniper Teams are also used by Company and Battalion Commanders to get eyes on target and control of fires forward - this is why learning all you can about Artillery, Air to Ground support, and Naval Gunfire will be important. A 5 inch naval gun or 120MM tube shooting sub MOA at multiple miles is often more effective than that 7.62 at 1000 Yards, and forward operating Marine Snipers are one of the tools to get steel on target.

5. Not all Marine Sniper School billets are filled by Infantry (03 MOS's). If you are not assigned to the infantry, all is not lost. Every year there are opportunities to compete in Base/Division/Wing/FSSG rifle matches. Placing highly in these matches is a good way to bolster a request to go to the Marine Sniper School; and do a lateral MOS change.

6. If you want to shoot a lot; one of the little recognized opportunities is Marine EOD. They collect dispose of a lot of small arms ammo that is opened lots, slight corrosion, etc... used to be the EOD techs would shoot a lot of it for internal testing and training.

7. Turning your Marine MOS into a job after a 4 year to 30 year Marine Tour is all dependent on the person, their goals, and drive. Had one of my fellow Marines on Embassy Duty who went from M60 Machine Gunner, to Embassy duty, to M60 Machine Gunner at Chino State Prison in California while going to college, to Electrical Engineer after Graduation.

Best wishes

Mauser48
10-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks mustang very helpful.

Love Life
10-07-2015, 11:17 AM
I have a question for the marines/marine vets out there. Im thinking about joining the marines. What was your guys experience while in? Another thing I'm not sure about is picking a MOS. I would really like to sign up for infantry and try to be picked as a scout sniper but not sure if this is the right way to go. Any advice or stories are appreciated. Thanks guys.

1. My experience: It has varied a bit over the years. There were bad times, there were good times. Overall I have enjoyed it immensely. With being able to give the post 9/11 GI bill to my kids being icing on the cake.

2. MOS: You will come in on an infantry contract (if it's available). Complete boot camp, complete SOI (You will assigned your specific infantry MOS at SOI), then hit the fleet. Your Battalion will have numerous STA tryouts during your first 4 years in. You will have to roger up for a STA tryout, compete and do well during the Indoc, and then get selected by the current STA members. Once you get into STA, you will have to wait for a quota for Sniper school...that's if the Command wants to send you. Plenty of non-snipers in STA.

3. Stories: Way to many to list here and many would get me banned.

4: Something to keep in mind: When you come in, you are the low man on the totem pole. You will be tasked with all the menial tasks nobody else wants to do...along with your peers in the E1-E3 grade. It's just the way of things.

If you get married, the Marine Corps still assigns you and controls your life based off of you. They did not enlist your family. There are times where your family is considered and that is covered in the Personnel Assignment Policy, EFMP, and a couple other places.

You'll get from the Marine Corps what you give into it. Stay positive, eat meat, and get some and all will go well. If you are of sound mind and spirit, physically fit, and want to be the strong arm of American foreign policy then I highly recommend seeing your local Recruiter.

Love Life
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
One last thing. DO NOT GET ANY TATTOOS IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!

Also, study for the ASVAB. The Marine Corps is no longer plussing up, the drawdown has ended, and we are in the sustainment phase=Much harder to get in. Some recruiting stations won't bother with you if you are not an Alpha...and play the flute...while speaking Pashtun.

sparky45
10-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Then go be an engineer. Then become a Marine officer.

Sage advice right there young man.

Love Life
10-07-2015, 11:39 AM
The Officer Corps also accepts degrees for underwater basket weaving.

goodolejim
10-07-2015, 11:57 AM
As a Navy corpsman with 3 years with the Corps I believe the real value of Marines is not what they do on active duty but the values taught to all Marines, Honor Courage, Commitment. Sixty years later the principles I learned from Marines I served with is still with me and made me the man I have become.

As stated earlier do NOT get a tattoo. If you do, even one small one, you will not become a Marine. Also as earlier stated go to college and become a Marine Officer.
Semper Fi
Doc Olive PS any one looking to attend the 240th Marine Corps Birthday Ball in the Salt Lake Cite area PM me.

45workhorse
10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
1. My experience: It has varied a bit over the years. There were bad times, there were good times. Overall I have enjoyed it immensely. With being able to give the post 9/11 GI bill to my kids being icing on the cake.

2. MOS: You will come in on an infantry contract (if it's available). Complete boot camp, complete SOI (You will assigned your specific infantry MOS at SOI), then hit the fleet. Your Battalion will have numerous STA tryouts during your first 4 years in. You will have to roger up for a STA tryout, compete and do well during the Indoc, and then get selected by the current STA members. Once you get into STA, you will have to wait for a quota for Sniper school...that's if the Command wants to send you. Plenty of non-snipers in STA.

3. Stories: Way to many to list here and many would get me banned.

4: Something to keep in mind: When you come in, you are the low man on the totem pole. You will be tasked with all the menial tasks nobody else wants to do...along with your peers in the E1-E3 grade. It's just the way of things.

If you get married, the Marine Corps still assigns you and controls your life based off of you. They did not enlist your family. There are times where your family is considered and that is covered in the Personnel Assignment Policy, EFMP, and a couple other places.

You'll get from the Marine Corps what you give into it. Stay positive, eat meat, and get some and all will go well. If you are of sound mind and spirit, physically fit, and want to be the strong arm of American foreign policy then I highly recommend seeing your local Recruiter.

All the above, plus.
Know how to use a map and compass. Batteries go dead.
Pick your FRIENDS wisely.
If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one. Long time in the field and overseas.
Be at least a SERGEANT, before you think about a wife and little jar heads.
Mouth shut, eyes and ears open.
Good luck
SEMPER FI

Tackleberry41
10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
The marines like all things has its good and bad. Its hard to say it teaches everybody things like honor and duty. I knew plenty who were just as big a *** in the marines as they were on the outside. We had locks on our stuff for a reason. And racism swung both ways, knew plenty of black marines who still thought they were back on the block, and knew skinheads. I also knew some pretty good men. Had my fill after 4 yrs, takes a certain mentality to be a lifer, to smile as you take another bite of the **** sandwich. I got really tired of spending money to go on deployment, unless they have finally changed the policy where your responsible for all your uniforms. Yea we got an allowance, but it didn't even come close to covering things. A pair of boots and a set of cammies and it was gone. I don't ever remember getting promoted and getting the new stripes your supposed to, a pair of the plastic ones, rest was on you. Just as I had to buy most of the medals I was issued. They were always changing the uniform requirements, which of course was up to you to pay for. I was never issued a dress uniform, common size, didn't have any, slip of paper in my records to say it was owed, I had paid for it. Went round and round with various commands as to why I didn't have that uniform 'just go buy it was the answer', um I already did.

And for some reason I always had the luck of ending up with a platoon sergeant who was a former drill instructor. They can't get that stuff out of their heads. Its friday evening, everybody else is on liberty, were there playing games. There is a fine line between hardcore and hard stupid. Some cross it without ever knowing.

Lets see most of the barracks I lived in were falling apart. Maintenance was way down the list of things to spend money on. The AC didn't work half time, nor the heat. Plus they had that policy that the heat came on on a certain date, and the AC came on at a certain date, didn't matter the temp outside. I got issued a bayonet in Kuwait, to go with my M249. It was more of a screwdriver. No point, or edge, or way of fixing it.

Gunor
10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Your are 16,
Local kid enlisted in the ARMY - High School Scholarship Night (presentations) - he got a check for $184K - that was his GI Bill worth for serving.

What do you want to be when you grow up? after 4 or 20 years in the military?

All the snipers, scouts, spec-ops' and fun stuff - very small community.

Geoff in Oregon

merlin101
10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Never was a Marine but after spending seven years in the Army I kinda wish it had been the Marines. With that in mind being a scout/sniper sounds cool but not much call for that as a civvie. If your thinking about the engineer's GREAT! The first type of equipment you will learn to operate will be a shovel when you master that you can work your way up to the wheelbarrow. I got a jump on all that because I was smart enough (yeah right) to spend my first 3 years in the field artillery.
What I'm trying to say is THINK BEFORE YOU SIGN! The jobs may sound cool but will it really prepare you for a civilian skill? Times may have changed, I don't know. just my .02 good luck!

Love Life
10-07-2015, 01:05 PM
When you take the ASVAB, and get your scores, check out MOSmanual.com. It's a great tool that allows you to type in your scores and it will spit out what MOS you are eligible for. From there, you can research them on the same site and see which interests you most.

Leslie Sapp
10-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I know they used these rifles with iron sights but are they using acogs on them now in basic?

Yes, they are now using acog's in recruit training.

shtur
10-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I shot Expert each time I qualified on the rifle range, I was even a marksmanship instructor. At my first NRA High Power rifle match the best I could shoot was sharpshooter. The NRA target has smaller scoring rings. Attend NRA High Power matches and you will excel when you need to shoot your best.

M-Tecs
10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
I shot Expert each time I qualified on the rifle range, I was even a marksmanship instructor. At my first NRA High Power rifle match the best I could shoot was sharpshooter. The NRA target has smaller scoring rings. Attend NRA High Power matches and you will excel when you need to shoot your best.

That is excellent advice. NRA small bore competition is great also.

Mauser48
10-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice guy! I guess its a good thing that I don't have plans to get a tattoo or married straight out of high school. I will start training with my rifle and appropriate targets. Just out of curiosity what is the rule on hair and tattoos out of boot camp? I have seen a lot of pictures of marines with tattoos on their arms. I have also seen guys with a decent amount of hair. Thanks again guys!

Lance Boyle
10-07-2015, 08:43 PM
As a former infantry guy 0331, I would say think wisely about what MOS you choose. If you go in for 4 and plan to get right back out and GI Bill it for college then ok, have some life experience while you're young. If you're planning to stay in as a lifer, do your self a favor and go the O route instead of the E route. If you do go enlisted and want to stay in I'd look for a career field that might have some civie applications, they might not be glamorous but they get you smarts. Ie aircraft engine mechanics, air traffic control. Infantry and artillery skills aren't used much outside of the services.

Just my $0.02

MUSTANG
10-07-2015, 08:53 PM
1. Hair Cuts are found in Marine Regulations. The following link has a description of Male and Female hair grooming standards:

http://www.usmc1.us/usmc-grooming-standards

In the Corps, there are some assignments where grooming standards may be modified due to Mission Requirements. Off and on Marine Security Guards, Intelligence operations, & Counter Terrorism Missions may direct Marines to grow their hair and facial hair outside of normal regulations.

2. Policy on Tattoos periodically changes over time. It's somewhat like the transition in the Corps from narrow ties, to wide ties, to narrow, to wide.... From the Navy/Marine Times I am aware that there currently is a push to restrict Tattoos that are visible in a short sleeve shirt; in the past if they were covered by long sleeve shirts they were OK. If I recall correctly, the newest Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps is now advocating for a lessening of the restrictions on Tattoos. The ultimate answer is that if one does not have a Tattoo; then they are not subject to the strengthening/weakening of policy changes on Tattoos. Back in the 1970's had a Marine friend who had a Tattoo and the subject matter (Writing) was found to be objectionable in that period; we had a group sitting around a bottle of Tequila and he decided to "FIX THE PROBLEM" by heating a K-Bar red hot and burning the area of offending language. My recommendations are to avoid the problem and Tattoos.

tygar
10-07-2015, 09:49 PM

I always wanted to be a Marine, just didn't get to go on active duty until graduated HS in 65. When I enlisted there were opportunities for "guaranteed" MOSs, depending on ASVAB scores. Also I was a recruiter twice, again there were opportunities. Getting to be an 03 is usually not a problem. If you want to be a tweet or rotor head etc, you need to have shown a strong aptitude on the appropriate tests.

As for shooting expert, if you want a prayer of a shot, yep, you better shoot expert, but just shooting expert is not enough. I was hi shooter in my platoon with 229, which is pretty good for boot camp. But, I not only wasn't hi in series, I was 3rd with one at 230 & one at 240 that pretty much walked out of BC & ITR into the marksmanship unit. Now he might have become a sniper, who knows. To be honest, sniper wasn't the Holy Grail, Recon was what guys shot for.

Other things are being the best or close to it in physical fitness & being squared away, cause they don't take s. birds.

As to what it was like, watch Full Metal Jacket, that was as close as I've seen but not as hard & bad as when I went thru, I got my az kicked (I mean really kicked by DIs, usually 2 or 3 at once) several times. (It's not like that now but still physically hard with a lot of psychological stress) I was one of the guys who didn't make PFC until the full 6 months because I was one of the s. birds who didn't take orders well etc. The pic is of me making PFC early 66, (the smushed nose & cauliflower ears were pre MC). Not a good thing to do in the Marines. You learn to shut up & do it pretty quick when pounded into you.

What others said about getting "good" training that translates to the civilian world is a very good thing if your just in for 1 hitch. If your staying, being a Zero is a OK way to go if your cut out for it. I wasn't, even though I graduated college. Once you're a Staff NCO things are different & starting at the bottom again wasn't hi on my list of things to do, plus I was doing neat stuff.

By the way, if you think your John Wayne & going to win the war all by yourself, just wait until that first shot goes snapping by your ear & all you want to do is hide your 210# az behind a 2" pebble. Being an 03 has some real drawbacks.

There may still be programs like Devil Pups that are available for Hi Schoolers which may give you an idea & help you decide if it's for you.

Good Luck.

TXGunNut
10-07-2015, 11:09 PM
My dad was a Navy corpsman and spent much of his service time attached to a Marine unit or working in a base hospital. It helped get him thru graduate school to a PhD in biology. He went on to have a distinguished career as a research biologist and professor. He always had a lot of respect for Marines. He never talked much about his work with them until his later years, and then only a little bit. Just occurred to me, wonder why they never taught him to shoot? He was pretty fair with a shotgun but rifles and pistols were something he didn't seem to understand, lol.

BrassMagnet
10-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Lots of great advice here, but I will add some more from the perspective of a retired Navy shooter.
Don't just shoot CMP and NRA full distance matches. Find an NRA Master or Expert to coach you. You need to be classified NRA Master when you enter boot camp. Also shoot EIC matches as points toward distinguished will stand you in good stead.
Don't get tattoos, they can be a career ender, or even a career non-starter.
Learn to read mirage! It is the difference between winning occasionally and winning frequently!
You want one of these, but for rifle:

Learning pistol can't hurt unless you are trying to learn pistol while trying to learn rifle.

A career skill is very important. Check this out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?246782-Photos-from-my-enlistment-on-Independence-Day-forty-years-ago-July-4-1974&highlight=

So I fix electronics for a living. I am retired once and eligible for early retirement again. I will be eligible for regular retirement again in three years. Classified Master for NRA highpower, NRA Expert indoor pistol, and NRA Sharpshooter outdoor pistol. Distinguished pistol. Points toward rifle, but no progress in many years! I really should have learned to read mirage thirty years ago. It's tough for an old sea dog to learn new tricks!

44man
10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
MOS means nothing. I was trained in automotive before going to the Army, wound up advanced infantry. To pick what you want is a pipe dream.
I shot the highest score on the 500 yard KD range then anyone ever, won the company trophy, M1 rifle. One shot out of the X ring.
My daughter was a Marine and also out shot all the men to have the highest score. Might still stand. But she could not choose where to work.
But to be a man, join the Marines. The best of the best but you must be a tough SOB.
Pay is low and it is only the love for country that keeps you going, get injured and Obumbler will forget you.

lefty o
10-08-2015, 05:07 PM
score well enough on the asvab, and you will get to choose your job nobody will guarantee you recon, sniper or stuff like that, but an actual MOS, you can get it in writing no BS.

quilbilly
10-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Pay attention to what Love Life says.

Love Life
10-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Hair and tattoos: MCO P1020.34G with change 1-gazillion

Tattoos: MARADMIN 029/10

Tattoos are still authorized, but you better be dang sure it is within policy or you'll be seeking employment elsewhere. Hair is clearly explained in the above reference, but the 1st shirt may have other opinions on what "Squared away" means.

Keep your nose clean in high school good luck on your choice.

IRT marriage and tattoos: Devil Dogs love getting tattooed up in MOS school and make it a tradition to marry the first lady they meet who is of low moral character.

It's a pretty fun adventure for the most part.

Riverpigusmc
10-08-2015, 07:17 PM
You don't have to go to Quantico to be in STA...Quantico shooters are "Hogs", battalion or division trained shooters are "Pigs". You get the hog tooth at Quantico, or least you did in my day. Shooting expert will help, did it three years running...but that is one of the lesser traits they'll look for. Phsycological makeup, attention to detail, and memory skills play just as high, if not higher, role as marksmanship. Oh yeah, start working on map and compass skills now...learn how to read a topographical map, learn what a grid square is...you'll spend more time observing and calling stuff in than you will on the bolt rifle. YMMV...I been out a long time. You'll have the luxury of range finders. We had to flip football fields in our head to judge distance

Love Life
10-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Don't they keep the grid squares in storage with the HMMWV keys, blinker fluid, chem light batteries, flight line, mortar tube BFA's, and the PRC E-5's?

Geezer in NH
10-08-2015, 08:06 PM
In this administration?? Pass

Light attack
10-08-2015, 08:11 PM
A lot of good advice. Officer is a lot more enjoyable than enlisted. We got to shoot too. They are always looking for a rookie and an officer for the Marine Corps shooting team. Lay off the tattoos and get married later.

Gary
USMC 1974-1985

Mauser48
10-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks again guys. Great info here. Im going to start competing at the local high power matches. Its only a 100 yard range but it will teach me the basics and there is a lot of knowledgable people there that shoot at camp perry every year. I will have to find out where the real matches that go to 600 yards take place. The match is right next to the regular range that goes to 600 so I will try that out. Need to go sight in the carry handle now. Thanks for the advice and for your service.

Love Life
10-09-2015, 09:07 AM
It's not just the shooting you need to focus on. You need to focus on physical fitness and mental conditioning as well.

N4AUD
10-09-2015, 09:49 AM
My father was a WWII Army Infantry veteran, I was in the Air Force (on his advice) and my son joined the Marines straight out of high school (against my advice). He signed up for Infantry and Security Forces. After Infantry school he went through Security training and went to a FAST (Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team) Company. He traveled a lot during that time. After 2 years he had to go back to the infantry. My father had advised me against the infantry, and he did know what he was talking about. He said the Air Force treated it's people better than the Army or Marines as well. I was stationed for a year at a training facility where there were all branches of the military, and he was telling the truth about that too. So when my own son said the wanted to go into the Marines and be an infantryman, I tried to dissuade him. I told him we could go out on a cold day and he could did a hole in the back yard, and I could spray him with the water hose and take a few shots at him and he would get a pretty good idea about the infantry. He didn't listen of course. I visited him in Norfolk when he was with FAST, and down at Camp Leujeune when he went back to infantry. The Marine facilities weren't as nice as the Air Force had been, and there was some abuse of Marines by superiors that wouldn't have gone on in the Air Force. But I was very proud of my son for having been mentally and physically tough enough to withstand it all, and of course he will wear the title of Marine for the rest of his life. Just know what you are getting into before you go. If you can go in as an officer you'll be better off, if you want to be an engineer, become one and then go in. I guess there isn't any way though for you to know what you are getting into until you are in it. Good luck.

Safeshot
10-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Go to College, major in engineering (your choice of field), enroll in ROTC, graduate, get your commission as an officer upon graduation. Follow the "Yellow Brick Road". If you get a part time job in College, get one "IN YOUR FIELD OF STUDY". Gain experience, don't "kill time".

skeettx
10-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Safeshot = YES!!

Mike

bstone5
10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
In College we in the Engineering School used the phrase.

Time Passes, Do You.

Devote a lot of time to study and you will pass.

nicholst55
10-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I'm a retired Doggie (Army) senior NCO, and I have to agree with everyone who has said that going in as an officer is a whole lot better than going in as enlisted. Something to think about when you're out in the rain/snow/wind/cold on feces burning detail out in the desert somewhere, while the officers are in a dry, warm tent drinking coffee.

Ola
10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
This is a very interesting thread for an outsider like me. One thing specially caught my eye: The officers in US Army, Navy, Air force or Marines don't go to the boot camp??

44man
10-09-2015, 01:43 PM
I could care less, any Marine has gone through hell to be the best of the best. But the army is also tough and the air force is our friend. I don't care if you are national guard or coast guard.
You want tough, become a Seal, a Ranger or sniper.
That is half what a Russian Spetsnats does. They are an inch from death in training.
Most fail Seal training but a Seal will cry to mamma when he meets Russians.

Lonegun1894
10-09-2015, 08:34 PM
You still have time to do your research and get advice. You have gotten a lot of good advice already, so please don't ignore it. My time in was as a Navy Corpsman (FMF) and other than boot camp and basic Corps School, the rest of my time was with Marines. I wouldn't change it, but remember that if you get injured, the politicians will sweep you under the rug and do their best to forget you. So do it because you want to, not for a paycheck or any recognition.

nicholst55
10-09-2015, 08:52 PM
This is a very interesting thread for an outsider like me. One thing specially caught my eye: The officers in US Army, Navy, Air force or Marines don't go to the boot camp??

Officers attend boot camp - with other officers.

Mauser48
10-09-2015, 10:14 PM
It's not just the shooting you need to focus on. You need to focus on physical fitness and mental conditioning as well.

I have been focusing on physical fitness for a little while now. Im gettin there!

nicholst55
10-10-2015, 12:56 AM
I have been focusing on physical fitness for a little while now. Im gettin there!

Concentrate on upper body strength (push-ups, especially), and cardio. Also remember to keep a positive attitude when the time comes, and don't be a smart-***! Do what you're told and don't ask unnecessary questions.

pipehand
10-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Mauser48, on a positive note, your age means you may have the opportunity to serve under a Commander In Chief that actually respects the military.

You may want to ask your local recruiter if the NROTC scholarship program still exists. High ASVAB, SAT, and grades, along with a fair athletic record and a good interview got me a full scholarship from '82 to '86 when I got my Underwater Basket Weaving degree and went off as a newly commissioned Second Lieutenant. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have had the taxpayers buy me an engineering degree. It would have been much more applicable in my current occupation.

Start getting in great physical shape now. Basic military training really tests one's physical and mental endurance. If you're not overburdened by the physical aspect, it leaves you with a lot more energy to deal with the mental aspect.

Be advised, military service will make a mark on you. I wish you the very best. Semper Fi.

44man
10-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Our military has the smartest ever in history. A grunt today is a hundred steps above the president.
But it is true the gov will not treat you right.
You will have pride and self confidence, able to do anything and all of us will respect you forever.
A Marine will always be a Marine, so will an army guy. Best days of my life.
My President will always be President Bush, never the creep in office now. Sick Muslim ***.
Russia has moved in but things have been lost. Arrest Assad for crimes and put a Russian general in charge. Make piece with rebels and go after Isis and terrorists. Putin sticks his finger in Obumblers eye. Rebels have turned over millions of our equipment to terrorists.
Putin for President? Better then our liar in chief.

BrassMagnet
10-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Go to College, major in engineering (your choice of field), enroll in ROTC, graduate, get your commission as an officer upon graduation. Follow the "Yellow Brick Road". If you get a part time job in College, get one "IN YOUR FIELD OF STUDY". Gain experience, don't "kill time".

Work study in your field of experience could be the item that makes you a better choice than your competition!

Geraldo
10-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Mauser48, I know a young man who is currently in his MOS school. Apparently your generation is in terrible physical condition, because the recruiters ran weekly PT sessions before anybody left for Parris Island. You would be well advised to get ahead of that curve. As others said, high ASVAB scores are the key to certain MOS.

Now here's a sea story for you. A friend's son enlisted in the AF. Everybody loves to make fun of them because Air Force. Anyway, he's an IT guy, I think around E5/E6 right now. He got the coolest TDY I ever heard of. McDill AFB with housing allowance, so he took over a beach condo from another dude who was leaving. They gave him a rental car as well. Works indoors in AC. That's as good a gig as you can get in the military.

jcwit
10-11-2015, 06:38 PM
ASVAB test? So that's what they called it. I was chastised for saying once that I was smart enough to land in The Pentagon in a cushy office job when most everyone else got shipped to Viet Nam.

Ah well, it is what it is.

Mauser48, study hard!

Littleton Shot Maker
10-12-2015, 02:41 AM
If I had to do it again ?? I would not have ASKED for 0351, would have gone into aircraft mechs. would have a VERY good job now. after burning poo and raking sand, arranging rocks, digging holes in sand that never stops...no sleep, little or bad food, stupid people in charge that in most cases can't make it in the real world after 20+ years, NOPE would go Coast Guard knowing what I know now....

I think what really set it all off was when an O3 ( Officer) combat engineer almost blew up my section I realize "these people are going to get me killed during PEACE TIME" !!there is a reason the line is 'that' long one the bangalore clicker...watched too many dumb games being played and always had to think "we are the best??" wow. 4 years- 0351 Tank killer- I shot expert, big deal, can you run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less, more like 14-15?? NO.??...go run some more. then for fun load up a 90 pound ALICE pack with lead or rocks or sand and go find some hills - big hills step as hell like the steepest staircase you ever saw with short step, not big enough for your foot, then some deep soft sand, and small round river rocks , go 'walking' on all these places , get a buddy on a bike to yell at you for the entire time you run at full speed, for at least 9 miles to get warmed up, dig a fox hole- fighting hole , sleep there over night for 5 days with 2 days worth of water and 1.5 days worth of food, during the most hot- humid and / or coldest days you live in.

IF you like that then you may like being an 03xx

Other wise go to College, get your degree, do ROTC. Join Army if you want promotion ever or want the sign up bonus... My cousin made Capt. in 2 years from Day1- he does Finance, will see Col. well before his 20 and NEVER get shot at- except in work place violence. episode ..

After a while I got to work with S3 Office, they say H&S Co. gets it easy, right!! while all the other Marines where off we still pulled duty to get ready for the Next field op.

The joke was , grunts make the best janitors !! we sweep , swab, wipe, wash, clean , scrape all day, we live in places that would not be used for public "free" housing. We used gear that was older than some of the guys there..

Yes , I would not do it again, but am Darn proud I did it. Had to prove to my self I was tough enough- THAT IS DUMB!!
Dad was Army, Uncle Corpsman, cousin army, Grand dad- B17 pilot, Great Uncle Jack almost 27 years navy, so it was a family thing, plus I like a good fight.

we, Marines go to war to kill people and blow up stuff, and kill more people and blow up more stuff oh and try not to DIE or get hurt-
Your head will be messed up and NO ONE the never served will get you!!!! If you join for any reason other than you will not like it one bit. DO NOT TELL recruiter 'that' or you will be deemed TOO crazy... you want a skill or job later on that is not PULLING A TRIGGER join the Navy, Coast Guard , Army- work on drones, air craft, electronics etc.... hell go reserve and do school get the degree. Then you will have a taste, a tease and the brains to decide better what you want to do.

Love Life
10-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Sniper stuff: http://www.marines.mil/News/NewsDisplay/tabid/3258/Article/625041/scout-sniper-screening-test-marines-physically-mentally.aspx

tygar
10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Ah come on guys. Once you make NCO there isn't any sh.. burning details & by the time you make Staff that "nice tent" isn't far away & one of them has your name on it. I also remember the zeros humping those same hills & swamps & getting their azs shot off just like us. Besides, my parents were married & knocking that ring didn't impress me at all.

ps: if your an 0311 today in combat, your the one who gets to grease the ragheads & get some payback. All I got was zips & I didn't have anything against them until them started shooting at me - in their country.

Parson
10-22-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm a retired Doggie (Army) senior NCO, and I have to agree with everyone who has said that going in as an officer is a whole lot better than going in as enlisted. Something to think about when you're out in the rain/snow/wind/cold on feces burning detail out in the desert somewhere, while the officers are in a dry, warm tent drinking coffee.

Not when I was in. When in the field our officers were no better off then we enlisted, no officer eat before an enlisted, if for some reason they needed to eat before even a private they had to ask the enlisted for permission before they could cut into an enlisted chow line. Our officers always saw to it that the enlisted were taken care of first, on base a little different but not in the field. When we trained with other branches, they almost always were amazed that our officers always saw to the comfort and well being of the enlisted before themselves

Love Life
10-22-2015, 11:26 AM
I never did have an officer on fire watch...

Enlisted life isn't tough if are mentally strong and don't hold grudges. A big complaint in the Corps now is "How we junior Marines are treated" according to a recently released study. Better whip out your straw and suck it up. If you aint 'bout that life, better seek employment elsewhere.