PDA

View Full Version : 357 Bisley 8 groove rifling

sd5782
04-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Although I no longer have this gun, I thought I would bring it up for discussion. It was a Ruger Bisley 357 that I had years ago, and had poor luck with cast bullets. Upon closer examination I saw that it had 8 shallow grooves. 2 chambers were also a bit oversize compared to the others.
I wasn't a caster then, but shot some bullets from an older guy who was a very good caster. This gun would lead the first 1-1.5" of barrel, even with target velocity 38 special loads. The same loads were fine in my 3" J- frame. This happened with many different bullet styles.
I got rid of this gun rather than messing too much with it. I probably would have kept it except for the 2 oversize chambers. I wonder now if the leading was from the rifling, or perhaps gas blowby and melting on the 2 chambers. Just found it curios. I now have a GP100, and it has 6 grooves, although I haven't had stellar success with this one yet.

Bass Ackward
04-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I got rid of this gun rather than messing too much with it. I probably would have kept it except for the 2 oversize chambers. I wonder now if the leading was from the rifling, or perhaps gas blowby and melting on the 2 chambers. Just found it curios.

I now have a GP100, and it has 6 grooves, although I haven't had stellar success with this one yet.

Well, it's too hard to tell now.

But different throat dimensions can really frustrate ya when throat diameter is close to bore. Especially after the forcing cone wears in to the largest of the throats or the worst aligned.

My GP100 is 5 wide lands like a Smith. Pretty flexible gun really. Always something different.