PDA

View Full Version : 45-45-10

fritoguy
10-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Has anyone experienced this method of lubing? I am considering trying some mixed range lead as is with this lube to determine what if any leading occurs in my 40 sw.

centershot
10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
If your bullets are properly sized and loaded you shouldn't have any problems. I tumble lube all my 38 special and 45 acp bullets without a hitch!

tazman
10-06-2015, 08:01 PM
I use range lead almost exclusively in my handguns. I also lube with 45-45-10. using a properly sized boolit, I have no leading problems at all.
I have barrels that have had hundreds of rounds shot through them without needing to be cleaned.

fryboy
10-06-2015, 08:08 PM
with the 40 i'd suggest 2 lite coats after sizing , the 40 and 9 mm are often two of the hardest for folks , maybe in part because they are what i deem " hi-intensity cartridges" , properly sized and lubed thus at at least up to mid velocities you should have no problem
f.w.i.w. ..discounting the fact that i dislike the smell of alox ( some love it [shrugz] ) the 45-45-10 is much better and more user friendly than plain LLA , to be fair thinning straight LLA also helps make it more user friendly , suggest warming the boolits before applying the last two coats but not required

mjwcaster
10-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Make sure you shake up the bottle to get the solvents mixed up.
I had some leading issues with just 1 coat in 45 acp.
I forgot to shake up the bottle and the lube was really thick, too a long time to melt with a hair dryer.

Also do not use too much, I am loading some that I double coated, and after the leading issues described above I intentionally used too much.
Way too much.
Cleaning my dies is now on my list of things to do, but I have another 1K of over-lubed boolits to load up.

It does not take much to cover the boolits, just a light coating is all that is needed.
If you can see it after it dries, you have too much.
If you have chunks, you have way too much.

I am thinking about thinning my 45/45/10 (White Label version) down with more solvents (mineral spirits) before I use it next.

I want to try Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL), but I have so much 45/45/10 now, it may be a while.
BLL recipe available in the Lube Forum.
Just need to find my little bottles of Alox to make a test batch.

fryboy
10-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Also do not use too much, I am loading some that I double coated, and after the leading issues described above I intentionally used too much.
Way too much.
Cleaning my dies is now on my list of things to do, but I have another 1K of over-lubed boolits to load up.

i agree with your posting but about that 1K .... a closed container , that same mineral spirits and a bit of swirling will get it off , of course you'll have to relube them but ...it'll cut down on future die cleanings ;)

mjwcaster
10-08-2015, 08:41 AM
That is not a bad idea FryBoy.

It may be a little while before I load them anyway, I need to get to the range to unload some, so I can reload some more.
Or I just need more cases.

I thought I got into reloading/casting to shoot more, now I am not so sure.
I'm seriously starting to think of range trips as being able to unload ammo so I can reload more.
And watching the weather forecast so I can schedule things to have a nice day to do more casting.
And hitting up everyone I know to keep an eye out for lead.

'Hello, my name is Matt, and I think I have a problem'

rintinglen
10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I have loaded 10's of thousands of tumble lubed boolits ranging from 32 acp at 700 fps up to 30/40 at 2300 with good accuracy and minimal or no leading. I currently use Ben's Liquid Lube, simply because it is easiest to make, but I went through about a quart of Recluse Formula 45-45-10 before this. You only need about a teaspoon to lube 100 44 SWC's, so don't get too exuberant when adding lube. I use clean, old, plastic coffee containers to swirl my boolits in, and it is best to limit the number of boolits to the amount that will freely move when you shake to them ensure good distribution of the lube. In a Folger's plastic can I usually put about 2 1/2 pounds of boolits at a time.

If you are using tumble lubes for rifles or for velocities over 1200 fps in handguns, use more lube. My 30-30 hunting ammo gets double coated.

mjwcaster
10-08-2015, 09:07 PM
It also seems to matter if you have used the container for lubing before.
The first time, it may take a little more lube, once the container is coated it takes less.

Recluse has good a good pictorial in his thread on how to use the lube, really shows how little you need.

You will apply too much at first, I just about guarantee.

Also I normally heat up the boolits with a hair dryer before lubing, depending on how warm it is.
May not be necessary, but I do it any way.

gpidaho
10-08-2015, 09:41 PM
As lubes go, I think 45-45-10 works very well. The most common mistake is using way to much ,it only takes a very thin coat to do the job. Extra lube makes for a mess on everything, extra smoke and more clean-up. I powder coat and am much happier with the results. Gp

jaysouth
10-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I have the 45-45-10 from White label and it is very good if you don't add too much. However, I have been using BLL for a couple of months and like it a lot more.

GaryN
10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I would also drop a slug in the bottle to help mix it up when shaken.