PDA

View Full Version : Loose safety selector on ar 15?

tommag
10-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I bought an 80% lower and milled it with the jig. Rather than buy more parts, I decided to use parts from my dpms to affirm everything was working ok before ordering new parts.
While drilling the safety selector hole, I managed to tilt the table a few degrees. After using the drill bit to ream the holes by hand until the selector fit, finally.
Now, when the parts were re assembled, the selector has very little resistance between the safe and fire positions. My first thought was that the mis aligned holes are the problem. After a bit of thought, ?it seems to me that there has to be more to it than that. Given that the receiver is aluminum, if friction in the hole is the only thing holding the safety selector, they would wear out in a few hundred rounds.
Also, the switch can be moved side to side about .015"
What did I do wrong? (besides thinking I could do this myself)?

Vann
10-05-2015, 09:16 PM
I gotta ask you did install the saftey detent pin and spring, in the hole on the bottom under the handle? If you did check and make sure it doesn't have some chips blocking the hole up and not letting the detent pin make good contact.

tommag
10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks Vann. detent and spring in place, but chips in the hole makes sense. I'll check that.

tommag
10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Vann. No chips, but rough spot in detent bore. A little pressure on a punch to detent pin found the problem.

Vann
10-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry, I just had to ask. I guess if you don't find anything in the hole holding back on the pin, you could Bubba it and either try a heavier spring or deepen the indentations on the selector that the detent pin goes in.

Vann
10-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Good deal, glad you found it.

tommag
10-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Now that that is solved, the trigger guard is being recalcitrant. Rear pin came out ok, but tiny roll pin holding front pin doesn't want to budge. Bent the roll pin punch three times, sure it will break before I get it out. I put kroil on it, and will need to order more roll pin punches. Back to work, maybe I will finally get it done when I get home in 2 weeks.

tommag
10-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Youtube says front pin is spring loaded, just depress and out it comes. Good thing I didn't apply the bigger hammer principle. Sometimes a 9# hammer isn't the proper approach!

Vann
10-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Gotta be careful with those pins, break an ear off and your screwed. Only part of an AR I don't like messing with, lol.