PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify this Dillon

sirgknight
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
This press was part of a large inventory that I purchased from a fellow reloader. Can someone help me identify this press? It appears to be in very good condition but there are no other parts or accessories for it. It has a set of dies installed and I am guessing that they are for .41 magnum because this was his favorite caliber. Thanks for your input......

odis
10-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Square Deal. I bought mine long enough ago I paid I think 135 bucks for it. Nice press.

sirgknight
10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Thank you. I'm guessing that parts are still available for this press?

sparky45
10-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Absolutely; as a matter of fact you could probably send it back to Dillon for a tuneup and they would install what's worn out and it will be like new.

skeettx
10-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Here is FUN reading

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

sirgknight
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up....

VHoward
10-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Dillon presses (except for the 1050) come with a lifetime warranty that goes with the press, not the original owner. So if anything on that press needs replacing, Dillon will replace it under warranty for you. Those are proprietary dies and that press is very good.

Pee Wee
10-05-2015, 09:02 PM
If you call Dillon, get RO# you can send it in with $87.50 and they well refurb it and replace any missing parts. That's what they did for me on a 550. It will come back in a as new condition boxed as you would get it new.

VHoward
10-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Some would swear it is a new machine. What they do is completely dis-assemble it, put it in an ultrasonic cleaner, replace any part that is too worn or broken and re-assemble. then put it in new retail packaging and sent it back to you. What you are paying the $87.50 for is mostly shipping back to you and some labour.

sirgknight
10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
What a great warranty!!!! That's good to know. Thank you very much for the responses.

jmorris
10-06-2015, 10:35 AM
You might want to use it as is first to see how you like it. That is an early SD, the main casting is a bit different on them now and if you send it to them they will change out the powder measure parts. The linkage they use now prevents double charges but some prefer the older linkage because it is less "clunky".

I sent both of mine in over the years and they have updated them for free, the new link arms are bronze bushed vs the old delrin and the low primer alarm is a must have one you use one.

Yours is also missing the primer cup and bracket, they break off easy.

I wound up making a few out of steel for mine. Or you can also just remove the fail safe bracket and install a drilled out 38/357 case, replace bracket and attach a tube that runs to a spent primer container.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/primercup/sdprime.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/IMG_20131002_232412_453%20-%20Copy_zpspbtemb26.jpg

Iowa Fox
10-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Your older Square Deal appears to be in incredibly good shape and complete. No way would I send that one back to Dillon for clean/lube refurb. Strip it yourself, lube it, identify the dies in it, and put it to work. I'll bet your broken primer cup bracket is there still bolted on. Just install a drilled 38 special with clear hose slipped over and run to a container for the spent primers. It came with two primer slides, two powder drop slides, and 2 primer feed and 2 primer pickup tubes. They might be there someplace in the stuff you bought plus the original instructions. I'd love to find a buy like that. Always room for one more Dillon on the bench.

Walter Laich
10-07-2015, 01:21 PM
My first one was $129.95 so I was just a bit before yours. Still works fine. Now have 4 of them: 45 Colt, 38 Sp, 32 H&R and 9mm.

I am on 4th handle, each time new one had improvements to keep from breaking.

jimkim
10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Not all the other Dillon presses come with a lifetime warranty. I own an RL300. It is not covered either.

Artful
10-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Not all the other Dillon presses come with a lifetime warranty. I own an RL300. It is not covered either.

True, but they do/did have a small box of parts under a bench known to who ever it was that was head call center tech when I called in about 25 years ago. I was funny I called and the kid that answered asked which press and I told him a 300 and he said you mean a 450 and I said "No, my 450's fine, I need a primer post for a 300" - and we went round a few times then a supervisor got on asked me to describe my 300 and then said "that thing should be in a museum" which made me all warm and fuzzy since I got it when then were selling them new. Don't give up on your 300 I like it better than a 550.

jimkim
10-23-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm not giving up on it. The only parts I need are a few priming parts. I have the priming arms, and plunger. I have a spare tool head and am thinking about making another one out of steel and drilling and tapping it to take the Hornady LNL bushing adapters, or we could make a few regular ones on the CNC milling machine at the local tech school. I have several different powder measures but am not satisfied with any of them for progressive use. I think the new Lee auto drum may be what I finally settle on.

seagiant
10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
True, but they do/did have a small box of parts under a bench known to who ever it was that was head call center tech when I called in about 25 years ago. I was funny I called and the kid that answered asked which press and I told him a 300 and he said you mean a 450 and I said "No, my 450's fine, I need a primer post for a 300" - and we went round a few times then a supervisor got on asked me to describe my 300 and then said "that thing should be in a museum" which made me all warm and fuzzy since I got it when then were selling them new. Don't give up on your 300 I like it better than a 550.

Hi,
Ha! I represent that remark!

I now have 4, sold my 550's!

Littleton Shot Maker
10-24-2015, 12:55 AM
no support for the 1000's we got ALL the spare parts Mike had at the time- had 2 1050's- 2 1000;s- 1 -550 some others I have not seen since to big move in 92- so much stuff hard to keep up....all going away....little by little

Artful
10-24-2015, 01:38 AM
Hi,
Ha! I represent that remark!

I now have 4, sold my 550's!

Isn't that hoarding the good ones?

jimkim
10-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Mine was a gift. I still can't believe he gave me all the stuff he did. I'll never forget what Gunarea(Roy) did for me. I hope one day I can pay it forward like that.

Hueyville
10-24-2015, 10:46 AM
I have two 450's, four 550's and first two Square Deals are in shipment. I hate changing out a progressive press so when start loading enough of a particular cartridge to warrant a progressive is has unique size shell plate to one in inventory order another. Never worry about buying used if cheap enough as can send in for $70 bucks to have totally refurbished like new. A few of my 550's will swap tool head for swapping between 44 special and 44 mag or 38 spcl and 357 mag but not much more. Time saved in swapping press will generally load all the rounds I need for a session. Same as casting, three furnaces and looking for fourth for each alloy and commonly used mold blocks perpetually in dedicated handles. Between three Rockchuckers, a Lee three hole and Lee four hole turret press can load any cartridge in inventory and only do setup once a month maximun on the Rockchuckers.

Iowa Fox
10-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Huey, Where in the heck are you finding all those Dillons?