PDA

View Full Version : Handi rifle .45-70

lightload
10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
My new Handi Rifle comes unlocked when fired. Should I let Academy ship it back, or can simple smithing fix it? The rifle has not been oiled but has had patches run through the bore. When closed with normal effort, hitting butt on floor will unlock it. Slamming it shut will keep it locked. I shot it only once and wish not to test it again until some corrective action has occurred.

Like a dummy, I started a new thread instead of writing in the already established one.

dh2
10-04-2015, 09:25 PM
if you can get a local gun smith to look at it let them tell you if it is some thing simple, if it it is some thing big or the price is to high let Academy ship it back to H&R

tdoor4570
10-04-2015, 09:59 PM
H&R is gone, bought out by Marlin, Marlin was bought out by Remington I doubt that rem will do anything about it but you can try. New England fire arms was the org handi rifle maker they were bought out by H&R

Bazoo
10-04-2015, 11:19 PM
I had some dealings with remington customer service about 8 or 10 years ago, they did me well.

Silverboolit
10-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Try drying off the locking latch and shelf. They should be run dry. Also, a new rifle will need to be 'slammed' shut until the latch/shelf get worn together. Just don't go All Arnold on it, though.

rfd
10-05-2015, 06:15 AM
present yer problem to the folks at the graybeards h&r forum - those guys are unquestionably the h&r experts ....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

having owned and used five h&r's in .45-70, i did have one (a buffalo classic) that had latch issues which required a firm slamming of the action to insure positive lock up. as long as i did that, all was fine. it sorta worked itself out after a few hundred rounds and then the slamming wasn't required.

oh yes --- do check the fit of the fore end, as sometimes the spacer is too tight and just needs to be sanded down a bit for a looser fit and that makes latching up easier.

1989toddm
10-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Try drying off the locking latch and shelf. They should be run dry. Also, a new rifle will need to be 'slammed' shut until the latch/shelf get worn together. Just don't go All Arnold on it, though.

present yer problem to the folks at the graybeards h&r forum - those guys are unquestionably the h&r experts ....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

having owned and used five h&r's in .45-70, i did have one (a buffalo classic) that had latch issues which required a firm slamming of the action to insure positive lock up. as long as i did that, all was fine. it sorta worked itself out after a few hundred rounds and then the slamming wasn't required.

oh yes --- do check the fit of the fore end, as sometimes the spacer is too tight and just needs to be sanded down a bit for a looser fit and that makes latching up easier.

Yes the FIRM shutting of a new Handi action is necessary for the first while to mate the latch and latch shelf together. It would be very profitable to join Greybeard Outdoors and spend a few hours reading there Handi 101 thread and the FAQ.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=116451

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=26264

glockmeister
10-09-2015, 02:30 PM
lightload, rfd and 1989toddm, are setting you on the right trail! Greybeard Outdoors is the place for all questions about H&R Handi Rifles. Please read the FAQ section first, that will answer your question. As 1989 posted, shutting the action FIRMLY, silverboolet's clean the shelf and latch are all on the money. I'm a ''Handiholic'' with 3 in my gun safe. The 45-70 is fun to shoot andf accurate too. Enjoy your Handi and check out GBO. Take care, John.[smilie=s:

lightload
10-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Gentlemen, thanks to your guidance, my Handi shoots as it should. Slamming(not too hard)the breech closed did the trick. I learned that the thumb lever for unlocking should have wiggle room when properly closed and locked and should have zero wiggle when breech is open. Graybeard's library is impressive. I now look forward to shooting tons of reduced loads while engaged in close quarters combat with evil cans, stumps, and wayward dirt clods. Then I will seek out a feral hog or two with trapdoor type loads. As one man here said, the trapdoor load will shoot clean through that which roams the lower 48. What more could I ask?

dualsport
10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
That's good news. Have fun, you're on track for a good time. There's so much you can do with an H&R 45-70, it'll keep you busy for a long time. And it will flatten a hog, believe me. No need at all for heavy Ruger type loads and/or jacketed you know whats. Get a good slip on butt pad for the bench shooting. They kick.

1989toddm
10-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Gentlemen, thanks to your guidance, my Handi shoots as it should. Slamming(not too hard)the breech closed did the trick. I learned that the thumb lever for unlocking should have wiggle room when properly closed and locked and should have zero wiggle when breech is open. Graybeard's library is impressive. I now look forward to shooting tons of reduced loads while engaged in close quarters combat with evil cans, stumps, and wayward dirt clods. Then I will seek out a feral hog or two with trapdoor type loads. As one man here said, the trapdoor load will shoot clean through that which roams the lower 48. What more could I ask?

Good job! 45-70 is my favorite cartridge and the Handis are my favorite gun. Simple, they work, and ther're cheap!