PDA

View Full Version : Beat By A Little Girl!!!

TXGunNut
10-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Was a wonderful day at the club for our annual Horny Toad Handicap Trap Shoot but it got a little embarrassing for some pretty salty shooters. At the end of the first 50 targets two shooters were down two birds; one was a 71 yr old accomplished shooter with over 40 yrs experience and the other was a 14 yr old girl who's been shooting about two years. The little scamp almost went clean on the second 50 and the veteran missed three or four. We had a bit of a thin turnout today but she would have won last year when we had about forty shooters, most of them regular ATA competitors.
As for me I'll only say that I was in a tough class (including a certain little girl!) and I was having a crappy day. Had a good time, a few hot dogs & donuts and had a few laughs as well.
You ATA shooters keep an eye out for a cute little blonde Texas girl with a pony tail. She don't miss very often!

35 shooter
10-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Lol, probably no one told her how hard shooting that good is supposed to be.
We have a few like that around here too. Don't know about trap, but they are double tuff at skeet!!

starmac
10-03-2015, 11:12 PM
I don't recall if it was skeet ot trap, but wasn't it just a year or three ago that a 9 year Oklahoma boy was tearing everyone up and setting records. Course, that wouldn't be like getting beat by a little gewrl. lol

TXGunNut
10-04-2015, 12:10 AM
She knows what she's doing, her grandpa is a pretty salty shooter. Won his class and has done a fine job coaching his grand-daughter. Little girl's mom knows her stuff as well, she was a scorekeeper.
I like this game, looked pretty hard at a Browning trap gun tonight. I don't think my little Browning 725 20 ga Field Grade is holding me back much but I really like the feel of that 725 trap gun.

dg31872
10-04-2015, 12:37 AM
You gotta smile at a story like that! I am happy to hear that there are more kids in shooting sports. I raised my two daughters to enjoy shooting and now grown, they are teaching my grandsons to shoot too!

TXGunNut
10-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Last year at this match I met a high-school kid who was on a school shotgun team. Really good kid, invited him out as my guest and need to do so again. There are may good kids in spite of what we may hear, they just need our guidance.

Littleton Shot Maker
10-04-2015, 01:09 AM
this is cool. I have 3 little girls and plan to get them into all and every shooting sport we can and include the bow to boot. Maybe fishing?? even???
I can remember dad making me shoot against the old timers back when I was 9-12 in the 22 comps back in Mecklenburg Co. NC. good times we had, want to have those good times with my brood....thank for your story, will make sure to share this with the two oldest girls, even though one day no.3 (NOW 3) will out shoot her older sisters I am sure of that....

35 shooter
10-04-2015, 01:26 AM
We had a lady here years ago when i shot a lot of competition archery.
She was a repeat champion for quite a few years and was still going strong when i got out of it.

She would get bored shooting the womens division at local shoots from time to time and would sign up to shoot unlimited class in the men's division.

Didn't matter if it was a field, 3d or indoor shoot, when she shot with the men....you best have brought your A game along that day lol!

Teddy (punchie)
10-04-2015, 01:46 AM
All just great stuff. Got two that are just starting at 8 just fun watching them. We shot just country style clay pigeons.

dubber123
10-04-2015, 07:46 AM
We had a girl that used to come to our falling plates pistol shoots. 4' 11", and maybe 90 pounds. She shot a .45 auto, and could beat all but two of the competitors. Super fun to watch that happen weekly!

Hickory
10-04-2015, 08:19 AM
One year I got paired up with a pretty 16 year old girl at Camp Perry, Ohio.
Over the weekend we shot and pulled the pits together at 200, 600 and 1000 yds with the M1Garand.
I managed to beat her at 200 yds by a few points.
At 600 and 1000 yds she did really well, she was better at reading the wind then I was.

runfiverun
10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
it helps that they can see..

we have occasional turkey shoots around here, it's amusing to me when they guy's see littlegirl pull in with her stuff.
I hear them let out quiet groans and mumble to themselves [preparing their excuses I think] :lol:

nagantguy
10-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Great story, everytime I assist in teaching the hunter safety class I'm reminded that these kids haven't failed us we failed them in many respects. 50 kids age 6-18 in a room for a weekend 8 hours sat 8 on sun, shooting archery compass course, volunteers cook lunch everyone cleans up, no phones no games not ever has there been a single argument, fight thect, nor any disrespect to one another or the instructors. They are eager to learn quick to help and most of them can shoot concidering most have never used a gun before. Last September to brothers lime 8 and 11 shot the three clays thrown, then asked to do a few more, the younger went 8 without a miss and the older I think did 7 out of 8. They had never shot before and didn't have guns at home but had folks willing to let them learn and they did!

Calamity Jake
10-04-2015, 12:47 PM
My granddaughter at 22 years of age started shooting with me at age 9, her first cas shoot at 10.
She works as a fund raiser for the Boy Scouts, a couple of week age they had a sporting clays shoot
to raise funds, all she had to shoot was her 20" SXS 12ga she uses for cas.
The other shooters ribbed her about it, for a little while, until the totals came in, she was on top
with 35 hits compared to 24 for second.

I love IT!!!

tygar
10-04-2015, 01:31 PM
It took me almost 2yrs to go 25 straight in Trap & Skeet & never got 50. By the way I saw a lot of "girls" in AK that could shoot the pants off most guys.

castalott
10-04-2015, 01:48 PM
I find that women are better natural shots. Better eyesight, better balance, better coordination, fewer bad habits ( these habits come from playing 'cowboys and Indians' when young), and generally don't have the pressure to outdo everyone. Make sure the gun is light and fits. Use very light loads and be patient and supportive. After 40 hours of instruction ( heavy ,heavy , heavy on safety as this wasn't drilled into most when young) and practice , the women will outshoot you bad....

I had the pleasure to watch 2 young women originally from Germany shoot at a metallic silhouette .22 range. One had shot once before and the other had never shot before. One was good but the one that had never shot could hit anything offhand with iron sights almost every time.

tygar
10-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Yep, as a small arms instructor, I found exactly the same thing. The only problem is that, like my wife, even thought they can shoot good, they just don't care enough to keep at it.

Ole Joe Clarke
10-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Love the stories of youth, whether shooting, fishing, playing music........ If you are over, say 70 or so, you notice things are not as easy as they once were. We just returned from the Tennessee Old Time Fiddler's Convention, and saw and talked to some old timers that were feeling the pain of lost hearing, eyesight, and in general things that comes with birthdays. One older guy had just spent $8000.00 on hearing aids to allow him to hear the notes on the fiddle again.
That's why old men send young men away to battle, because they can see, hear, are strong, and do things old men only dream of. I know, I'm over 70.

CastingFool
10-04-2015, 09:17 PM
A few years ago, I sold a Mec 600 Jr through the local paper. the buyer was a 16 yr old girl who shot skeet. She told me her shotgun was a pink 870, and the stock had a message "Shoot like a girl, if you can"

tygar
10-04-2015, 09:22 PM
LOL me2. Only thing is I keep thinking about when I kicked az & I'm so old, I retired in 93 with 28 & retired from competition in 87, yet still think I can do it....at least at night, in my dreams...lol. Now I'm teaching my youngest granddaughter (9yo) to shoot & she does seem to want to get into it, at least for now. We'll see.

MaryB
10-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Taught all my nieces and nephews to shoot. My nephews got to the point where they would go shoot rifle when the girls were shooting trap because they were embarrassed at being beaten all the time. Even on rifle they challenged the guys! They still shoot and hunt, 2 nieces are in the military now along with 3 nephews. All went in with college degrees and are doing stuff they can't talk about...

TXGunNut
10-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Went to club today to work on some things I learned yesterday, club was still buzzing about our young prodigy. Club president told me he ragged on the little girl's grandpa, said she'd make it to 27 (yard handicap) before he did. I don't think he minded, I know I've taken more pride in my students' than I have in my own achievements. Shooting a good score is one thing. Knowing how you did it and teaching someone how to do it in a way that works for them is another matter altogether.

castalott
10-05-2015, 04:13 AM
A little off topic but has a point..... When mom was so sick and in so many hospitals I got to observe a lot of new nurses up close. I was totally impressed with their total commitment, care, love, compassion, and just their attitude to patients and job in general. I know some in this new generation seem worthless but many are top quality/first class people.

OnHoPr
10-05-2015, 05:34 AM
My sister use to do better than a few of the guys when we went to the local DNR Game Area/throw your own clays ranges. But, her 12 ga probably helped a little over the 410s and 20s. Actually, a woman should shoot better in at least one discipline and that is small bore silhouette because they get to lock their supporting elbow on a more sturdy locked leg and high hip.