PDA

View Full Version : BAIR reloading press

JMtoolman
10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I went to a local show today and found a real gem! It is a Bair 150 reloading press. Man this thing is a monster! It weighs 22 lbs. on my scale. Has the primer tube loader with both tubes and just about 100% of the original blue paint. I think this thing will replace my Bonanza Co-Ax press as the #1 favorite on my reloading bench! They look to be heavy enough to swage bullets on with its compound leverage. The amazing thing is it has all the pieces with it, including the primer catcher! The gentleman that I got it from kept it in excellent condition, not a speck of rust, and as clean as can be. Can anyone tell me when they were produced. This one has a number 151-003 on the base of the pivot, could this be the serial number? It was a great day! The toolman.

Grasslander
10-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Congratulations on your find! I'm glad it's in good shape.

Have to admit, I'm a lot jealous. I have been looking for one of these for awhile now.

Sorry I don't know the dates of production, but one of the experts will be along soon...

Grant

seagiant
10-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Hi,
Yes, it will be more stout than the Bonanza!

I actually had to pay for mine, but everytime one would come up on the bay it was higher than before!!!

They are rare from what I see? Good deal!

Pressman
10-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Bair began in 1972 when Dietmier was kicked out as CEO of Pacific. He went to the casting house, Bair Machine and convinced them to sell presses under their name. Bear then bought out Micro Precision.

The last catalog I have lists an Ohio address under the name Bear while showing pictures of the original Bair plant in Lincoln. It is #19 but has no date. I am guessing sometime in the mid to late 1980's judging from the printing style.

Ken

EDG
10-04-2015, 07:44 PM
The #10 issue Nov Dec 1967 of Handloader Magazine announced the formation of Bair. How long it took them to design all the tool and put them in production I don't know.
I swapped for a new Bair C press kit about 1969. I think they were kaput sometime between 1980 and 1985.

There are some older Pacific dies and presses that are identical to the Bair designs.

JMtoolman
10-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Mine looks like yours in the pictures, but doesn't have the name on the center area, just the number 150 at the bottom. It sounds like I got one heck of a deal on mine. Just lucked out I guess. The toolman.

Ole Joe Clarke
10-05-2015, 09:17 AM
If my memory is right, (don't count on it), Pacific bought out Bair then Hornady bought Pacific. The rest is history.

seagiant
10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Hi,
As good as they are my best all time favorite is the RCBS A2!!!

Another one to look for if you like the Cadillac of single stage reloaders!