PDA

View Full Version : Ingot size for 1.25# of linotype

Petrol & Powder
10-03-2015, 07:09 PM
I have a supply of Linotype that I wish to alloy with pure lead to come up with a BHN of around 11.
The lead calculator shows that 5 pounds of pure lead mixed with 1.25 pounds of Linotype yields a BHN of 11.

My pure lead is in 5# ingots, so that's easy. The Linotype is in large bars of varying sizes and I'd like to cast it into 1.25 lb ingots to simplify making my alloy as needed.

Does anyone know of a convenient ingot mold (like a stainless condiment cup) that will produce the 1.25 pound weight I desire?

Thanks

baogongmeo
10-03-2015, 08:46 PM
A 20oz sinker mold would be close. I use the old cast iron cornpone pans and get 1 1/4lb with cowws and pouring them full... lino is probably less dense but you probably wouldn't be too far off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-03-2015, 10:37 PM
I'd use the cheapo Lee ingot mold, pour the 1 lb til it's .625 lb, which will be about 3/4 full??? you'll have to experiment, then just use two for your alloy.

Beagle333
10-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Set up your scale. Put two sheets of aluminum foil over your scale (if you're prone to spills) and just leave enough exposed that you can still read the weight. Put your favorite ingot mold up there and fill it til it reads 1.25 pounds heavier than it did when empty. Dump ingot and repeat. 8-)

scottfire1957
10-03-2015, 11:17 PM
pour it into any of your bullet molds, or several. Then, put 1.25# into sandwich bags.

It really isn't that difficult to do. All my pewter is in baggies, 1# per.

LAGS
10-04-2015, 01:00 AM
If I take my Lyman 4 ingot mold and fill it up to the top and pour one big bar, then I cut the four ingots apart with a Hatchet and a hammer.
Each ingot weighs right at 1.25 Lb.
And for storage, the Big 5 lb bars are much easier to stack.

1johnlb
10-04-2015, 07:11 AM
I'm guessing your 1.25#s desire is 1 and 1/4 #s and not 1# 25ozs.

Sooo isn't 1 and a 1/4 #s equal to 5 x .25 lbs.

Sooo, wouldn't 4 # of lead with 1 lb of lino give you the same consistency?

William Yanda
10-04-2015, 07:56 AM

what he said!
Way easier to manipulate the numbers than the molds.

gsdelong
10-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I think you missed where he said his lead was already in 5# ingots

Petrol & Powder
10-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Yes, but the pure lead is already in 5 lb ingots, the Linotype is larger and varies in weight. The thought was to re-cast the Lino into uniform ingots that are convenient. I could just recast everything into 1 pound units but really didn't want recast the lead just to make the ingots smaller.

I was hoping there was some common mold out there that others knew about that just happened to be about the weight I wanted.

LAGS
10-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I went down to a second hand store, and bought myself a Second Hand Desk Top Postage scale that the Rates were out of Date.
I got it for a whole $1.00.
But even though the postage rates have changed, the Weights are still the same.
It will weigh up to 2 lb and is marked in Ounces too.
But I did check it with a 8 oz and and one lb fishing weight.
You weigh out 1.25 Oz of lino chunks, melt it and pour it into any container like a condoment cup and see how much it fills it up.
You guys need to just Keep your eyes open for things that you can use, and pick them up when you find them.
Especially at a really good price.
I have seen Culinary Portion Scales ( Bakers Scales ) at Goodwill also, and they weigh up to 15 pounds or more.
Also, Have you checked how close to 5 lb your lead ingots are ?
You are trying to be right on the money with one material, but All materials have to be exact, or your formula is out he window.

Petrol & Powder
10-04-2015, 04:19 PM
OK, so here's what I found. A stainless steel Wally world 1/4 cup measuring cup makes a beautiful 598gram (1.31 lb) ingot with slightly tapered sides. Close enough !

RogerDat
10-06-2015, 08:40 PM
FWIW I work off of the size of the ladle rather than the mold. Need a ladle that will hold 1.5 lbs. so you can pour it into any mold. Or a 2# ladle that you know where to fill to in order to hit 1.5# Can use water for volume measure and convert to lead weights.

Using ladle for weight control is somewhat influenced by my use of angle iron molds and bread loaf pans as primary molds. Both can be filled to different weights using a different ladle. I seem to recall muffin tins would hold about pound and a half too.