PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

.452dia
10-03-2015, 05:45 PM
I just acquired a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. I plan on shooting mainly heavy 45 Colt Loads but would like to experiment with some heavy cast bullet loads in 454 too but before I start buying molds and size dies I would like to try some commercial bullets. Anyone have actual experience with these bullets I would love some suggestions?

CHeatermk3
10-03-2015, 11:54 PM
A friend of mine has used some from these folks:

Missouri Bullet Company (http://missouribullet.com/index.php)

44man
10-04-2015, 10:42 AM
The barrels are so short, all I can say is GOOD LUCK.

harley45
10-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I have the 44 version and I have to say with heavy loads its only fun for about the first 6 rounds! I have been using Skeeters load in magnum brass however and it makes for a pretty pleaseant shooter. I feel pretty well armed in the back country with it so loaded. I know yours isn't a 44 but perheaps this will give you some ideas.

dougader
10-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I always thought the 454 Alaskan would be too much to handle. For me, it's not about the slap in the palm from a heavy recoiling handgun, but the twisting/torqueing that goes on when a big slug hits the rifling on a 55k-60k psi load. So, in actual testing I found it easier for me to shoot heavy 454's in the Alaskan than either of my 7.5" Ruger SRH's, one of which was ported and actually was worse on my arthritic wrists than the unported guns.

I like Cast Performance, Beartooth, Montana Bullet Works, and Leadheads but there are several others out there.

In 454 brass, the CP 335 grain WLNGC with 26-28 grains W296. With 28 grains it gave about 1428 fps; 1174 fps from the Alaskan.

In 45 Colt brass, the 335 CP bullet with 22 grains W296 gave 1196 fps in a 5-1/2" Ruger Blackhawk/Bisley; never chronographed this load from the Alaskan.

.452dia
10-04-2015, 05:07 PM
I always thought the 454 Alaskan would be too much to handle. For me, it's not about the slap in the palm from a heavy recoiling handgun, but the twisting/torqueing that goes on when a big slug hits the rifling on a 55k-60k psi load. So, in actual testing I found it easier for me to shoot heavy 454's in the Alaskan than either of my 7.5" Ruger SRH's, one of which was ported and actually was worse on my arthritic wrists than the unported guns.

I like Cast Performance, Beartooth, Montana Bullet Works, and Leadheads but there are several others out there.

In 454 brass, the CP 335 grain WLNGC with 26-28 grains W296. With 28 grains it gave about 1428 fps; 1174 fps from the Alaskan.

In 45 Colt brass, the 335 CP bullet with 22 grains W296 gave 1196 fps in a 5-1/2" Ruger Blackhawk/Bisley; never chronographed this load from the Alaskan.

Thanks for the info. I'm not new to the Alaskan in 44 mag or the 454 as I have shot both with some pretty heavy loads but I put off buying one for several years. My heavy loads in 45 Colt are painful in my Old Model Vaquero so I decided to tame them with a heavier gun. With the Alaskan I can also carry it with the Big Lead Casull loads when I'm in Bear and Big Pig territory.
Again Thanks,

Tackleberry41
10-04-2015, 05:58 PM
I guess they get a boost in velocity over say a 44 mag to justify it?

LGS here has one of the Alaskans in 480 Ruger, looks like a brick its so overbuilt. Probably carries like a brick to, for the weight seems like you could carry a full size 44 mag. A barrel that short seems like the extra uumph you would get from a 454 or 480 over 44 mag just ends up as muzzle blast.

.452dia
10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
They are heavy! That said there are a few quality holster makers that understand that and the need for a short barreled hand cannon in certain situations like bear country or really anywhere you are not the top of the food chain. They make holsters and carry rigs for fishermen, hikers, bikers, 4 wheeler riders or anyone that need to keep their hands free but still have access to a weapon in a hurry. As for choosing the 454 or 480 over the 44 mag, they all lose velocity in the shorter barrel but not as much as you think with the heavy bullet loads. In pure knock down energy the 44 mag can't hang in the same park.

dougader
10-04-2015, 10:05 PM
If I had the $$$ I would have picked up a 480 Alaskan last week on a pretty decent sale.

Cornbread
10-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Before I started casting my own I used to use Oregon Trail bullets in mine. They worked really well. Oregon trail can give you reloading data for 454 Casull and many of their bullets.

.452dia
10-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Before I started casting my own I used to use Oregon Trail bullets in mine. They worked really well. Oregon trail can give you reloading data for 454 Casull and many of their bullets.

Thanks!

Cornbread
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
On holsters: I carry mine in an Uncle Mike's holster that has a flap that goes over the whole top of the pistol. It works great and once you get it broken in you can get it in and out of the holster quickly and it keeps rain off it and saw dust out of it when I am cutting fire wood. I live in problem bear country because where I hunt and cut wood is where FW&P dumps first time problem bear offenders when they relocate them out of town, both black and grizzly. I cast my own bullets now and have for quite a while but holster wise I have no issue getting it in and out of the holster very quickly and I have killed a bear with it. It was a black bear and I always have a tag but since the bullet went in the front center of its chest and exited the back of its rear ham I have no doubt at 50 yards or under it will end to end any grizzly I encounter as well. Montana grizzlies aren't Alaska grizzly or brown bear sized they are about the same size as a really big black bear or just over that. FWIW good bear spray stops charges better than any handgun, the handgun is there for if they try and make another pass at you after they have been sprayed.

This is the holster I use. I notice some reviewers had trouble fitting theirs into the holster. I had no such issue: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/912292/uncle-mikes-hip-holster-with-flap-ruger-super-redhawk-alaskan-25-barrel-nylon-black

Lloyd Smale
10-06-2015, 06:29 AM
mine shot 300 grain rcbs swcgc into 1 1/8 at 25 yards. Plenty good enough for what the gun was intended for. I don't remember the load other then it was with 110 and a cci mag primer but it did 1350 out of that "to short" barrel. Plenty enough ump for anything that walks and as much as your going to get out of any 7.5 inch 45 colt ruger with sane loads. Even then extraction was drop out and no flattened primers so im sure I could have easily made 1400 with a bit more powder. Funny thing is that Alaskan was the most comfortable 454 with full power loads I ever shot. I think it had less muzzle flip due to the fact the bullet wasn't in the barrel acting on recoil near as long as it would be with one of those 7.5 near rifle length barrels:bigsmyl2:

chuckbuster
10-06-2015, 06:50 AM
PM me if you still looking
Kevin

lar45
10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
I don't own an Alaskan, but do have a 4" 500S&W. I bought a couple of holsters for it, but the one that I like the best is the Galco DAO. You can wear it strong side or cross draw.
The only thing that could make it better was if it had a thumb break strap on it.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/119/119706.jpg
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199609/galco-dao-dual-action-outdoorsman-belt-holster-right-hand-ruger-super-redhawk-alaskan-25-barrel-leather-tan?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CJLc2Lz0rMgCFQEPaQodo2oKNQ

reed1911
10-08-2015, 06:37 AM
http://www.moyerscastbullets.com/handgun.html

This cat makes some good bullets in the heavy range. Inexpensive too.

Pee Wee
10-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Load with Trailboss, I use this in my 45 Colt and the recoil is reduced by a bunch.

Groo
10-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Groo here
Penn bullets has the original SSK heavy bullets 340gr [I have the mold] and a 300 gr one also.
The Alaskan could be looked at as a modern "Bulldog" revolver, big bore used for short range defense.
Just much faster LOL.