PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt DOA?

MaverickNH
10-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Hey RCBS Pro Melt owners - maybe you can comment. I received and assembled a new unit, made sure the power rocker switch was off and thermostat down (CCW), plugged it in and waited 15min as directed. The pot got warm - too warm to touch for more than a few seconds. Then I added ingots resting against the walls, with as much contact as possible, before turning up to 650F. After an hour, the ingots are warm, but not hot. The light in the switch never comes on.

Before I call RCBS Monday, did I do anything wrong? I tried two outlets that I confirmed work on 120V/20A circuits.

jsizemore
10-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Did the pot cycle on and off during the 15min empty period? Did you turn it beyond the 650F after you loaded it?

Beagle333
10-03-2015, 07:57 PM
And the outlets still work after it failed? New Pro-Melts will often not work with GFCI plugs, until a few sessions have gone by. Something about moisture in the insulation or something.... but if you plugged something else in there and it worked..... I got no ideas. Bummer. Those are great pots!

MaverickNH
10-04-2015, 07:52 AM
The pilot light never illuminated, when set to lowest (CCW) position or 650F. After trying two outlets (non-GFCI) on two different circuits, it never got more than warm. Thinking it was going back in the box Monday to RCBS, I let it sit to cool.

Then I thought, one more try, on the same outlet, and flipped the switch again. The pilot light came on and the bottom of the pot soon got brown splotches, presumably where manufacturing oils burned off. I placed in 10 1lb ingots and turned to 650F, and it melted.

I'll cycle it a few time today again, adding more lead. If it works, I'll never know why it didn't.

Beagle333
10-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Glad to hear it's working. It's great to know that something is warranted for life, but it's sure unhandy to have to ship it back and wait. Especially with a new toy!

Happy casting!!! :-D

jsizemore
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the bottom most setting on your pot is barely making contact internally. You haven't calibrated it yet so it may go away after some use and calibration. Great casting pot. You'll love it.

Hardcast416taylor
10-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Did the not working episode happen on a Saturday? RCBS doesn`t work on Saturday`s you know! LOL!Robert

rodsvet
10-04-2015, 04:10 PM
RCBS does not warranty the Promelt for life. It has a 2 year limited warranty. They may extend it if they want to but are under no obligation to do so. Dillon does not warrant everything they sell for life. Midway used to say they warranted their stuff for life but when asked years later to perform, they said "Oh we don't do that anymore". Just saying this from experience. Rod

MaverickNH
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Sounds like the bottom most setting on your pot is barely making contact internally. You haven't calibrated it yet so it may go away after some use and calibration. Great casting pot. You'll love it.

Got me an RCBS thermometer, and will do a dial calibration when full (22lb) and low (1 inch is about 10lb) to confirm dial markings. I picked up a nice wood-handle ladle, spoon and slotted spoon at Wal-Mart to add to the kit. Their only Pine Shavings bundle was a 6 cubic foot bag, so I'm set for life for fluxing!

Question: Wax then pine chips, or pine chips then wax? And when/why sulpher?

jsizemore
10-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Read this and stop worrying about your post count:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110212-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

Dragonheart
10-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Should you have more problems I would drain the pot before shutting it off, just in case you have to ship it back. My Pro Melt is about 5 years old and still works like new. You don't have to worry about RCBS making it right if needed.

Walter Laich
10-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Should you have more problems I would drain the pot before shutting it off, just in case you have to ship it back. My Pro Melt is about 5 years old and still works like new. You don't have to worry about RCBS making it right if needed.
+1
I had to use a propane torch to empty out mine one time. Once it started to melt it went pretty quickly.

Just had the rocker switch die a quick painful death. RCBS send a new one and after drilling out 8 pop rivets got it changed out and running like a top.

Did add the aftermarket lid and shelf sold on this site. Check this link for examples + how to convert the operation to pull down to open http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279193-Converting-RCBS-Pro-Melt-to-quot-pull-down-to-open-quot-operations