PDA

View Full Version : Need Pistol Length drop in rail for 300 BLK

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a drop in rail/handguard for a pistol gas setup. It seems they are non-existent and I don't want to spend $200+ on a free float rail system. Any suggestions.

Looking for cheaper than this... http://www.lapolicegear.com/samson-star-di-4-rail.html

blueeyephil
10-03-2015, 01:17 PM
You don't have to spend nearly as much as you think for a free float. Look at a UTG Pro in 7 or 9 inch. They are just over 100.00. But of course you have to have a low profile gas block.

I'm sure Magpul has a drop in and I believe that UTG Pro does as well if you want an alum.

I have a 9" UTG on my 8" barrel with a KAK flash can on it. Looks good and the rail is well made and appears plenty sturdy.

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 01:29 PM
You don't have to spend nearly as much as you think for a free float. Look at a UTG Pro in 7 or 9 inch. They are just over 100.00. But of course you have to have a low profile gas block.

I'm sure Magpul has a drop in and I believe that UTG Pro does as well if you want an alum.

I have a 9" UTG on my 8" barrel with a KAK flash can on it. Looks good and the rail is well made and appears plenty sturdy.

I need 4", I've found a few, but no drop-ins.

petroid
10-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Why do you need 4"? You appear to have a low profile gas block so a carbine length handguard will fit over the barrel and gas block and give you extra rail space. It will be a bit heavier though

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Why do you need 4"? You appear to have a low profile gas block so a carbine length handguard will fit over the barrel and gas block and give you extra rail space. It will be a bit heavier though

Because I was going to SBR the barrel down the road. This is a pistol length barrel. Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first upper build.

petroid
10-03-2015, 02:43 PM
A carbine length handguard is about 7-8" if I remember right. If you have a low profile gas block, a free float handguard will slide right over it. Some people use free float handguard longer than their barrel and use it to shroud a suppressor

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 02:59 PM
A carbine length handguard is about 7-8" if I remember right. If you have a low profile gas block, a free float handguard will slide right over it. Some people use free float handguard longer than their barrel and use it to shroud a suppressor

Can you give me an example? I guess I don't understand where the attachment point would be on the front? My understanding was my only other alternative was to use a free-float quad rail but I don't want to spend $200.

What would be a cheaper way to do this?

TROY INDUSTRIES, INC. - AR-15/M16 MRF-DI NON-FREE-FLOAT CARBINE HANDGUARD
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/7-standard-mrf-di-black-sku100003459-26532-51695.aspx

blueeyephil
10-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Here's a picture of mine. I'm doing a SBR, form 1 is processing, so it's set up as a pistol for now. Barrel is 8", UTG hand guard 9". Low profile gas block.

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Here's a picture of mine. I'm doing a SBR, form 1 is processing, so it's set up as a pistol for now. Barrel is 8", UTG hand guard 9". Low profile gas block.

Does the UTG unit connect directly to the original barrel nut; did you have to remover the delta ring?

blueeyephil
10-03-2015, 05:50 PM
It comes with it's own proprietary barrel nut and wrench. UTG may not be one of the big names, but still appears to be a nice rail. Good and solid so far. But I haven't had it long yet.

I may have to drop back to a 7" rail when I get a suppressor as I don't think it will fit inside this rail as its a slim rail.

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 05:53 PM
It comes with it's own proprietary barrel nut and wrench. UTG may not be one of the big names, but still appears to be a nice rail. Good and solid so far. But I haven't had it long yet.

I may have to drop back to a 7" rail when I get a suppressor as I don't think it will fit inside this rail as its a slim rail.

Yeah I was just looking at their 7", is this the one you got? http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/handguards-and-handguard-parts/pistol/utg-mtu004

blueeyephil
10-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Sorry, missed the last part of the question. I don't have a delta ring. Just remember, if you take it off, make sure the hole in the gas block aligns with the barrel gas port. Of course that always applies. Some have had problems when they run a gas block designed to be used with a delta ring down on the barrel too far. But if you have a gas block that is designed not to use a delta ring and use one, it might not align either. Just depends on your setup.

I have seen shorty rails advertised in shotgun news I believe. You should have several options that doesn't break the bank. Good luck

detroitcharlie
10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Sorry, missed the last part of the question. I don't have a delta ring. Just remember, if you take it off, make sure the hole in the gas block aligns with the barrel gas port. Of course that always applies. Some have had problems when they run a gas block designed to be used with a delta ring down on the barrel too far. But if you have a gas block that is designed not to use a delta ring and use one, it might not align either. Just depends on your setup.

I have seen shorty rails advertised in shotgun news I believe. You should have several options that doesn't break the bank. Good luck

Thanks- yeah no problems with the gas line and the Delta ring.