PDA

View Full Version : Mold blocks

44man
03-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Thought you guys would be interested in how I make my blocks, different then most are made. I have chunks of aluminum that was scrapped at work. I use my bandsaw to rough cut rectangles (takes forever) so I will be able to cut 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 by 1-3/4 high blocks from it. I get five blocks from one. I then rough mill it to square it up and cut out the blocks. I then use a fly cutter to get two sides parallel and to the thickness I want plus enough for cutting and milling. I then drill the pin holes. I then cut the block in half, and mill the insides with the fly cutter. I reverse my fly cutter blade and cut vent lines with a cutter I ground on that side. I make them .002 to .003" deep and only cut them on one face. I now install the pins and adjust them for a perfect fit. It takes two different size holes, one size for a tight pin fit and the other side smaller so the rounded end fits good. Now while clamped together I mill the sides and bottom to get a perfect block. I don't do the top yet.
I made a vice from cast iron risers that screw the sides together evenly with a left hand thread in one side and a right hand thread in the other. I made it to mount to my milling table after I remove the top table. I use the table gibs. I clamp the blocks in each side and they won't move when opening and closing the jaws. Now I mill the top of the block. I center it to the mill head, open the jaws and insert the cherry to the depth I need. It takes only a short time to cut the cavity but I clean chips often. After halfway done, I de-burr it. I never start to open the jaws with the cherry spinning but shut it off first. I take out the burrs by reaching in with a flat tool with fine emery on it. I never remove the blocks for any reason until it is done. I remove burrs 2 or 3 times more and make sure the blocks are clean before they close all the way. I use a spray cleaner and lube with WD-40. The cavity comes out smooth and shiny and the pins are in, no chance of getting out of line by pinning after milling. Most times I am only out of round near the parting line by .0002" or less.
I then mill the handle slots for a set of Rapine handles, drill and tap all holes and fit the 3/16" stainless sprue cutter. These are tough to make and I have to mount it in a four jaw chuck to drill the hole and use a lathe tool to cut the taper for the ladle. Never found a good countersink that works on the stuff. Got the stainless free so I can't complain.
This works so good that I don't have to remove any burrs from the inside edges of the cavity. Boolits drop right out and bases are perfect.
If you guys tell me how to get pictures on here I will post them.

45nut
03-25-2005, 02:20 AM
email myself or the CEO and I assure you we can get pics up.
If you would like,,this is a perfect article subject. With pics I can really see this being a fine one to post.

Urny
03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
45nut is right on on this one, as usual. This would make a great, illustrated article.

Sky C.
03-25-2005, 01:06 PM
44Man-

Thanks for sharing! Yes - Pictures would be great. Put it up in the "articles" section.

Do you sell any of your product???

Best regards-

Sky C.

44man
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Sky, I don't sell any because of the amount of hand work I have to do. Also my equipment in not the best and I can mess up fast. I cut a mold today and got the cherry off center a little. It still worked and shot good but I am not happy. I need a center finder. Eyeballing this stuff just doesn't work. When I waste a block, it takes days to make more. I also just fit this in between gun repair and a million other jobs. I get up early, spin twice and the sun is setting.

shooter575
03-29-2005, 10:17 AM
44man
Me also thinks this will make a great photo essay.Even people that will never make a mould should see what steps are taken to make one.

Greg5278
04-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Was anybody interested in the cast iron bar for block material? I asked before, but didn't hear anything. I am waiting to see, before I buy a full bar of the 65-45-12 material. If anybody is interested in the raw material, or partially done blocks, let me know. Greg S

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Was anybody interested in the cast iron bar for block material? I asked before, but didn't hear anything. I am waiting to see, before I buy a full bar of the 65-45-12 material. If anybody is interested in the raw material, or partially done blocks, let me know. Greg S

............Greg, I said I'd take a couple via e-mail a few days bck.

...............Buckshot

wills
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
This is great. We can now send cast iron by e mail.

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
This is great. We can now send cast iron by e mail.

...........Wouldn't THAT be cool :-)? A fax is electrons in a transmitted pattern. And elctroplateing is atomic level matter transmission? Gee, maybe on to something here. Run a pipe from place to place with a cathode or anode depending upon shipping or recieveing. Place the pieces and turn on the juice, HA! Let's see, transmission time will be 3 weeks, please stand by.

...............Buckshot

C1PNR
04-06-2005, 09:56 PM
...........Wouldn't THAT be cool :-)? A fax is electrons in a transmitted pattern. And elctroplateing is atomic level matter transmission? Gee, maybe on to something here. Run a pipe from place to place with a cathode or anode depending upon shipping or recieveing. Place the pieces and turn on the juice, HA! Let's see, transmission time will be 3 weeks, please stand by.

...............Buckshot
I'll bet fiber optic would cut that transmission time in half, at least!![smilie=l:

44man
04-09-2005, 07:14 PM
While you guys are fooling around sending stuff like that, send me some brains, some women and some booze. Keep the iron!

Greg5278
04-11-2005, 07:52 AM
All right guys, a little joke at my expense. Now who wants some cast iron for molds? I am waiting to hear from anybody who is interested. Let me know by Thursday, so I can oder it. I can also get 675 Silicon Bronze for blocks. Thanks Greg

trk
04-14-2005, 09:22 PM
All right guys, a little joke at my expense. Now who wants some cast iron for molds? I am waiting to hear from anybody who is interested. Let me know by Thursday, so I can oder it. I can also get 675 Silicon Bronze for blocks. Thanks Greg

Greg -
What's the approximate price per unit-length or weight?
What is the lenght of a full sized bar?
I'm interested in somewhere between 25 and 50 lbs. or so; depending on cost.
Thanks,
Tim K

Greg5278
04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
TRK, what material did you want? The Bronze was about $2.75 per # if I remember correctly. The cast iron was going to be about $135 per 60" bar of 1.125 by 2.125", that included shipping to the shop. I can order it, and cut it on the horizontal bandsaw. Thge dimensions are oversize to clean up at 1.000 by 2.000" according to DuraBar. I am unsure of the shipping cost on the Bronze right now. Let me know what you might need. I would like to order it soon so i can go an dcut it in the shop next week. I can do some machining on it if you need it. Let me know. I can cut it into rough mold blocks and send 25# or more pounds for the $7.70 flat rate fee. The lead time is 7-10 days on the iron for delivery to me. I am 3 hours from the shop, so I need to plan on goingt ot do some other projects to make it worthwhile.
You can email me with your specs. gksappington@aol.com
Thanks Greg Sappington

44man
04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
OK, Greg, I just can't resist pulling your chain again! Why not move the shop close to home?????? Hee Hee!!!

carpetman
04-20-2005, 06:38 PM
His shop was close to his home then he heard 95% of accidents happen within 2 miles of home-----so he moved.

44man
04-20-2005, 10:45 PM
I would have never thought of that! I love it!

Greg5278
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
The shop is my grandfather's and uncle's tool and die shop. `I have access, but it isn't mine. When I moved to NJ my projects became a bit more difficult, and slower to finish. I only get there a few times per year.

What material, and how much did you want?
Greg

Greg5278
04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
The cast iron is ordered. I hope top have it Thursday of the coming week. I ordered a 72 inch bar. It is free of scale,and inclusions, and already annealed. Greg