PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my Glock slide

Kilroy08
10-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Last week I loaded up a batch of 9mm that had a couple rounds escape QC. It turned out they were bulged at the base.

I had one jam up my Glock 26. To clear it, I ended up placing the corner of the slide on a wood bench and pushing forward to get the round out.

My problem is I now have a small smear of paint from the bench on the nose of the slide. I tried hoppes and goo gone with no luck. Any other solvents I can try to clean it up?

Rick Hodges
10-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Acetone

Petrol & Powder
10-02-2015, 09:13 PM
I seriously doubt the Tenifer finish under that paint is damaged. That stuff is pretty hard. I'd go at that paint transfer with a little more force. It will come off, trust me. Acetone (nail polish remover) will probably work. If not, some mechanical means will and unless you use something really hard, the underlying finish will be fine.

Of course, it's a Glock. Why do you care what it looks like ? :-D

Pumpkinheaver
10-03-2015, 12:34 AM
How old is your Glock? I would be hesitant to scrub the spot very hard. The finish on the newer ones is not very durable. Glock quit using the tenifer finish a few years ago. I have 2 Glocks, a 19 and a 20 that are less than a year old and both show significant holster wear.

Catshooter
10-03-2015, 03:49 AM
Acetone, as suggested.

Guys. First of all, you can't see Tenifer. The black oxide you see on the outside of your slide is just that: black oxide. Tenifer is a chemical heat treatment that sinks into the surface of the steel. Then the black oxide is applied as a finish.

Secondly, Glock has never stopped using the Tenifer treatment. That is an internet rumor and false. Their recent black oxide finish has changed from the old days and isn't as durable as the older finish they used to use.

LoneWolf advertises that they will apply the same oxide that Glock used to for a small fee if you need it. So if the acetone damages the oxide they can fix it for you.

Cat