PDA

View Full Version : Remington Golden Bullet with Manufacturer Defect

Bazoo
10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
I bought a bucket of bullets from academy the other day, found this one.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/IMG_0832_zps3ytdgghd.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/IMG_0832_zps3ytdgghd.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/IMG_0831_zpsdkuqm1he.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/IMG_0831_zpsdkuqm1he.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/IMG_0830_zps8ruelqet.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/IMG_0830_zps8ruelqet.jpg.html)

I'll definitely be looking my rounds over a little better. I normally just grab a handful stuff them in the tube.

Mk42gunner
10-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Don't believe I would shoot that one...

It isn't only rimfire that sometimes slips through the cracks, I remember an FBI agent bringing a Federal .45 ACP 230 grain Hydrashok to my attention with the bullet seated backwards.

Robert

wrench man
10-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Yep, had half a box of Winchester brand 270 Win that the shoulders on the cases were so jacked up you could NOT chamber them?, and just last week the GF's uncle showed us a Remington 20ga slug that the projectile was seated SIDEWAYS! in the hull.

fryboy
10-03-2015, 02:26 PM
dontcha just hate it when the brass rats get to it before you do ? :kidding:

nagantguy
10-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Last fall bought a box of winchester 170 30-30s two rounds had cracks in the brass, one rounds was severely deformed. This spring I bought a box of winchester turkey loads, one round was bent just above the brass, one was I misfire.

Tackleberry41
10-03-2015, 04:43 PM
With the volume of 22 a company like remington or anybody makes, its not hard for a bad one to slip by. I wonder if alot of brands are following the wall street method which is to cut corners anywhere possible, usually the first guy to go is quality control. I bought some winchester bulk pack 12 ga shells, the cheap ones in the 100 pack they sell. Well it says 1 1/8 oz of shot, only thats not what was inside. They were all 1 oz. Who would even check to know that? Their cheap you just go blast em, how would you notice there was 1/8 oz less lead inside? I noticed as well those 1oz lee slugs fit rather well vs needed some sort of spacer to get the crimp right. Sure enough had a shorter shot cup. But they could save alot of money that way charge for 1 1/8 oz loads but save 4 ounces of lead per box. I sent them an email, never bothered to reply.

imashooter2
10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Once split a bulk purchase of Federal primers with 2 friends. One of my buds got 5,000 small pistol primers in a box marked small pistol, sleeves marked small pistol and individual trays marked small rifle. Federal confirmed the trays as correct, let him keep them and shipped a replacement.

As for the Golden Bullet... my experience with them puts them in the last barter pile for TEOTWAWKI.

Bazoo
10-03-2015, 11:15 PM
I dont necessarily like golden bullets. But they give me a nice bumper so i can shoot some, and hold out for some better ammo.

Before the fire I had a federal .40 caliber round with the thickness of the rim about double what it should be. It would have had a decreased powder capacity as a result. I noticed it when it jammed my smith and wesson 4006.

I also had a cheap russian .223 round that had the primer perfectly seated, backwards.

mrk1500
11-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I know that stuff happens but I have to say that the golden bullets are my best shooting (price wise) in at least 7 different guns.
I have never had a fail to fire in many 1000's rounds.

Wally
11-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Same here in a variety (5) of .22 RFs that I shoot...they are even better than CCIs..

I know that stuff happens but I have to say that the golden bullets are my best shooting (price wise) in at least 7 different guns.
I have never had a fail to fire in many 1000's rounds.

Bazoo
11-06-2015, 09:49 PM
I have always found remington bulk, and federal bulk ammo to shoot exceedingly well. I've had several 22s that preferred federal bulk to minimags. The wifes crickett really liked winchester 333s.

dragon813gt
11-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Golden Bullets = Garbage
There is a reason I still have cases of it. I find it hard to believe some have never had one bad bullet. I average a few duds per brick. Lots that won't fire on first strike but will on second. This is across a broad range of firearms, not just one. They even perform poorly in a 10/22 which eats everything up. Only worse 22LR ammo is Winchester Wildcat.

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2015, 09:06 AM
I agree. The last brick of them I got sat for a while and I finally broke into it a few weeks ago. Shooting them you heard a crack about half the time and a duller sound the other half. I took my suppressed 22 out and found out what I suspected. About half of them go subsonic. Big swing in velocitys with them. Just junk. I had to much **** 22 stuff from Remington and the only way id buy them again is if they were all I could find.

matrixcs
11-07-2015, 09:15 AM
I am sure it was included to help you practice squib removal....

historicfirearms
11-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Wow, some people are a lot luckier that I have been with bulk pack Remington 22. Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets have been the worst ammo I have ever purchased, and won't buy anymore even if it is the only stuff available. I would just rather not shoot my 22s than to deal with that garbage again.

HangFireW8
11-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Looks like typical Remington 22 quality to me.

Hickok
11-07-2015, 12:07 PM
I had a brick of the Remington .22 rimfire "Golden Bullets" and had a lot of misfires. Tried them in several different guns and still had a lot of duds. I then pulled the slugs and dumped the powder out on a few of the duds. There was no primer compound in the rim of the cartridge on any off the misfires. Pulled some other rounds for a check, and the primer compound was unmistakable, being a green color in the rim of the cartridge.

Pure junk!

wv109323
11-07-2015, 08:45 PM
In these days of selling ammo as quick as the retailer can put it on the shelves, quality control is way down on the list of priorities. I am sure .22 LR ammo is still being manufactured 24/7.
Most plinkers will accept a 1-4% failure rate and say nothing. They will be repeat customers as this rate of failure is acceptable to them. It is at this point where profits are the greatest to the manufacturer.
To more serious shooters this rate of failure is unacceptable and generally they will trend to a more expensive brand for more favorable results.

Bazoo
11-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Back about 10 years ago, when 22 ammo was 10.00 a brick at walmart, remington ammo would vary considerably in sound/velocity. I cant recall the accuracy back then. But ive had some good remington ammo too. I've never had a problem with winchester wildcats however, and shot a bunch of them about 10 years ago. Federal though has always given me good results.

Art in Colorado
11-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Opened a new box of 357 Sig target loads and one round had the bullet seated backwards.

zomby woof
11-12-2015, 09:41 PM
OK. The quality of Remington 22 ammo 20-25 years ago was bad. Real bad. I vowed NEVER to buy their 22 ammo again. During the 22 shortage the last couple years, we bought some Golden bullets. I have to say we have not had any problems with them. My wife's new Buckmark eats them up.

Bazoo
11-12-2015, 09:58 PM
OK. The quality of Remington 22 ammo 20-25 years ago was bad. Real bad. I vowed NEVER to buy their 22 ammo again. During the 22 shortage the last couple years, we bought some Golden bullets. I have to say we have not had any problems with them. My wife's new Buckmark eats them up.
That has pretty much been my experience. 4 or 5 years ago until now, they have done a lot better, and shoot pretty good.

c1skout
11-14-2015, 06:29 PM
I've had such good luck with the Golden Bullets that they're one of my favorite rounds. I've never been one to buy the premium stuff anyways. I stock Wolf match and CCI minimags along with the assorted brands of bulk to try in any new 22 I get, but I can't shoot well enough to justify the extra cost of the good stuff. Golden Bullets are THE most accurate ammo I've tried in 3 of my 22's, and I can't say I've had much trouble with duds, but have noticed the occasional quiet report. I burn up about 4000 rounds of it a year, plus a few thousand Federal and Blazer. They all make a bad one now and then, but I haven't found any with a hole in the side yet!

oldblinddog
11-15-2015, 10:06 PM
I always buy Remington, either Subsonic or Thunderbolts. They always work in my 580-510's-511. I cannot figure why so many people have trouble with the Remington .22 ammo. But that's ok-means more for me [smilie=w:

Bazoo
11-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Thunderbolts were always dirty for me, but always worked. I havent shot any them in a long time.

Yellowhouse
11-16-2015, 12:04 AM
I had a brick of the Remington .22 rimfire "Golden Bullets" and had a lot of misfires. Tried them in several different guns and still had a lot of duds. I then pulled the slugs and dumped the powder out on a few of the duds. There was no primer compound in the rim of the cartridge on any off the misfires. Pulled some other rounds for a check, and the primer compound was unmistakable, being a green color in the rim of the cartridge.

Pure junk!

With emphasis on junk.

GhostHawk
11-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Growing up I was a die hard Remington fan. Then back in the late 80's and 90's things started going wrong. Their .22lr ammo did not shoot like it used to, and I started noticing it was gumming up my Ruger 10/22.

I have been watching, but not buying since then. Now when in doubt I reach first for federal. Centerfire I have found that Privi Partizan makes quality ammo at a more reasonable price, so I often reach for them.

I know Remington got bought up by freedom group like H&R and Marlin, still waiting for them to be sold before I would consider trusting them again. I admit it I am Scotch and Irish, I pinch penny's daily because I enjoy it. You want money out of my pocket into yours, going to have to EARN it.