PDA

View Full Version : 358 Win project

Menner
10-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Well here we go again.
I recently acquired a Savage 110 action an a Tupperware stock in 243 for a really good price and being that I have no interest in shooting cast in 243 I started thinking that I needed a 35cal bolt action. First thing I thought was a 35Rem would really be interesting and contacted a member here and he pointed in the right direction. After much research and reading I have decided that since I have a 35rem 336 and the 358win would require no bolt work and the cartridge seems to be a little under Loved and the price is right on a in stock ER Shaw 24" SS barrel kit with wrench and go and no go gauges for $199.99 I pushed the order button on Tuesday and it arrived today.
I know it is not a Shilen or a Krieger but I am not shooting F class or 600 to 1000 yard and if I am not happy and need to rebarrel I already will have the gauges and wrench so there is $75 or so that I wont have to spend again And I know I will have to wait for a 358Win Barrel to be cut so I will be out about a buck and a quarter and get a little shooting in in the meantime.
Brass is also an issue to buy new seems the only Brass in stock is Hornady and that is not a problem but they are .78 cents each plus shipping. I read a lot about case forming from 308 so when I ordered the dies I also ordered a 338 expander ball to size up in 2 steps tried a couple last night and it worked like a champ ( the necks have been annealed ) so brass should not be a problem have not shot any yet so we will see if we get any split necks when I fire form them.
First steps have been taken on another Savage build Stay tuned.
Tony

Ben
10-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Tony,

You're talking about 1 of my all time favorite cast bullet cartridges.

You'll love the .358 Win. ! ! !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/55-1.jpg

Ben

Menner
10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Nice Group Ben!!
I think it is going to be fun to work up I should have the Barrel swap done Sunday and I will have a couple of Doz. 308's necked up want to see how they fire form, they case formed really nice but I read that a couple of people had problem with splitting necks on the first firing so we will see. If I have a problem I will have some Hornady's ordered Sunday night.
Tony

PS I have the RCBS 35-200 mold and some boolits GC'ed and sized to 358 going to try them first will have to get buckshot to make me a 359 sizer as Lee dose not make one and go from there.

35 shooter
10-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Menner that will be an excellent conversion. The .358 Win. is one of the best all around hunting rifles there is to me.

Ben that is some fine shooting with my favorite 35 cal. boolit!

KLR
10-02-2015, 09:58 PM
I have that same Shaw 358 Winchester barrel. I resize from 308 to 358 in one pass in the FL sizing die. I've never split a neck and never had one split upon firing. My barrel is very accurate.

Menner
10-02-2015, 10:17 PM
KLR
That's just what I wanted to hear!
Looking forward to getting the swap done I am going to make the Tupperware stock fit the barrel for now looking at a Boyds Stock or maybe an Eabco have and eabco on my 308 like it very much
Tony

TXGunNut
10-02-2015, 10:36 PM
I'm still looking for my 358, I like the idea of re-barreling and restocking (Boyds) but I also like Ben's approach. I think Jesse's re-bores will perform as well as or better than a replacement barrel.

MBTcustom
10-02-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm still looking for my 358, I like the idea of re-barreling and restocking (Boyds) but I also like Ben's approach. I think Jesse's re-bores will perform as well as or better than a replacement barrel.

I intend to put that to the test very soon. I have sent a bench barrel to him to be reborred. We will see how it stacks up next to the likes of Brux, Shilen, and Krieger. I expect very well indeed.

KLR
10-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Hey Menner, If you have a 110, why didn't you get the 35 Whelen barrel? The availability of 308 brass?

KLR
10-02-2015, 11:03 PM

I don't know about that. Mine will do half inch groups with jacketed @ 100 yds. At this point I'm the limiting factor.

The re-bore will be lighter, however. The Shaw is a magnum profile. I cut mine to 20" and it still weighs 3 lbs.

Menner
10-03-2015, 07:13 AM
KLR
The rifle will be a cast target rifle as Delaware is a shotgun only state and I have been shooting at a CBA match in Pa. so I will be shooting out to 200 yrds and I like the case fill % for the velocities I will be shooting. Thought about getting a 35 XCB barrel and chase the HV but that may be later. Nice thing about the Savage I have 2 Savage actions 1 short and 1 Long so for the cost of a barrel and brass and dies and molds WAIT A MINUTE WHEN DOSE THE SAVING MONEY PART START!!!!!!!!!???????????? I can have more than 1 caliber per action.
Yeah I have quite a bit of 308 brass so that was a factor.
Tony

KLR
10-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Good thinking. In addition, using a long action will give you more room in the magazine for long bullets.

Menner
10-03-2015, 01:18 PM
That had occurred to me about the long boolits I was looking with a great deal of envy at the 358009 boolit and was wondering how I could get my grubby little hands on one of them there discontinued molds? Not even one for sale on evilbay
Having a rebore done might have been a consideration if it was going to be a hunting rifle but it will do the bulk of its shooting off the bench
Tony

KLR
10-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I was looking with a great deal of envy at the 358009 boolit and was wondering how I could get my grubby little hands on one of them there discontinued molds?

Accurate Molds has this:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-280B-D.png

Or check with Mountain Molds, but I think they both require a small flat nose.

1845greyhounds
10-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Menner, where did you buy the barrel, wrench, and gauge? This sounds like a project I'd like to do with my old savage 110.

Menner
10-03-2015, 02:48 PM
go to midway or the ER Shaw site and it is a Kit that has the Barrel, the wrench and the go and no go gauges in it and some oil and bore cleaner
The first savage I rebarreled I bought everything separate so I have 2 wrenches now go on you tube and look up the barrel swap its not bad at all the only problem I had was the barrel I was replacing was still good so I did not want to lock it down in the vice jaws so I used a couple of oak blocks and I had a heck of a time getting the barrel nut loose (get a big hammer I used a 3lbs) other than that it was simple just follow the directions. I don't know if you are looking for a 358win but midway had the one I got in stock had it in 4 days
Tony

PS Northland is were I got my first barrel he carries Shilen and Criterion barrels in stock for savage actions
Midway has several caliber in stock

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=er+shaw+kit

http://www.eabco.com/Savage_Rifle_Barrels_by_E_R_Shaw.html

KLR
10-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Menner, where did you buy the barrel, wrench, and gauge? This sounds like a project I'd like to do with my old savage 110.

If you are in no hurry, check Midway every day for the barrel you want. Both the 358 Win and 35 Whelen have been down to around $150. Right now the 358 Win is on sale for $175.

Menner - Here's your bullet mold: http://www.noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?products_id=428

Menner
10-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I looked at the $175 Kit said that it was a blemish Barrel and I don't know what it means so for $24 bucks I ordered the reg kit
Yup that's the one and it looks like it needs a home

Got the Barrel swap done Tonight slapped on a scope and Necked up some cases gonna load 10 grains of red dot and if its not raining its A## off in the morning I am going to slip out to the range and make them go bang

Tony

1845greyhounds
10-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks Menner and KLR! Great info!

KLR
10-03-2015, 11:06 PM
I'd never noticed the blemish thing before ( but I didn't click on the item either). The other $175 kits are labeled as "clearance" items. That's how I purchased a 308 barrel. I waited for it to come down and it was not a blem.

Anyway, looking forward to the range report tomorrow.

35 shooter
10-04-2015, 02:13 AM
That had occurred to me about the long boolits I was looking with a great deal of envy at the 358009 boolit and was wondering how I could get my grubby little hands on one of them there discontinued molds? Not even one for sale on evilbay
Having a rebore done might have been a consideration if it was going to be a hunting rifle but it will do the bulk of its shooting off the bench
Tony
Noe makes a clone of the 358009. It's the 360280 which is the one i have. He has quite a few in stock.
My whelen will put that boolit in 1.5" or less all day @ 100 yds. @ 2200 fps.

Menner
10-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks 35 Shooter KLR sent me the link to that mold I will have one on the way soon
I have the RCBS-200 that I use in my 336 I am going to mess with that for a little bit.
the next thing I have to get is a 359 sizer will send a check to buckshot on Monday
Getting ready to head over to the range will let you know it works out.
Tony

richhodg66
10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Tony,

You're talking about 1 of my all time favorite cast bullet cartridges.

You'll love the .358 Win. ! ! !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/55-1.jpg

Ben

I have a 358009 mold, but haven't tried it in my .358 Savage 99, since the 200 grain FP worked so well and all I was hunting was deer. Do you know what velocity that load gives you?

toallmy
10-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I have been following this and I love it recently thought of reboring win 30-30 but it shoots Good ,thought of buying a 35 but it will end up in the corner. While sorting 10 gal of range brass I realized it is mostly 223-308 -9mm I don't have 308-223 I think I will fix that .see a 223 savage model 16 light weight hunter and if I don't like it well can turn it into 308-35 / or 223-6mm endless possibilities.you will never not be able to get brass. Interested follower.

Menner
10-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Sgt Mike
I have no delusions that an ER Shaw Barrel is the same as a Shilen or Brux or The Criterion That is on the 308 Savage I built, and I do have a sense of humor and would not have gotten my panties in a bunch over a comment but hell what if the ER Shaw shoots sub MOA at 200yrds? I will just smile. A Lot of people have gotten great results with the Shaw barrel so figured I would roll the dice and see what happens, one of the big factors was that I would of had to wait 12 weeks or more to get a 358 Win cut by one of the top shelf manufactures I got the Shaw in 4 days.
Well went to the range it was wet, it was drizzling and the wind was blowing 25 - 30 MPH other than those minor inconveniences it was a great day
The group on the left is 1 shot on the far left then a scope adjustment then four shots
I the changed the POA and put the 5 just to the left of the white paper
This is just 10gr of redot and I am seated a little off the lands and the boolits is RCBS 35-200 that I already had cast for my Marlin and sized to 358 will be ordering a 359 sizer from Buckshot tomorrow.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_1274.jpg (57.6 KB)

The other point of the range trip was to see how the brass held up after the necking up fired 10 rounds and had no split necks so another success was had today will move forward with the necking up of Brass

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_1278.jpg (54.6 KB

Tony

35 shooter
10-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Nice group for the conditions you were shooting in. Nice group for any conditions. Glad to hear about the brass holding up. Lol if that holds out you'll never be short on .358 brass.

Hannibal
10-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I've been necking up Lake City .308 for my .358 BLR. Had one neck split early on during the resizing process, none since. I have annealed the necks after resizing. So far I've done 200. As you noted, looks like I have pleanty of brass.

I have also been testing the RCBS 35-200. My water-dropped bullets have tested 21 BHN. I tested with a 2200 FPS load and an 1800 FPS load fired point blank into 30" of water in a 55 gal barrel this evening. It appears the 2200 FPS load had a large nose disintegration, and during this event I believe a significant energy dump occurred, but the remaining slug weighed 108 grains.
The 2-1800 FPS bullets fired into 30" of water weighed 205 and 207 grains. It is apparent these 2 bullets impacted the barrel bottom with enough force to significantly dent it. Initial weight for all 3 was 210 grains.

What I found particularly interesting was the clear evidence of significant yawing with all 3 bullets. It appears the wound channel would be significant.

The 2200 FPS load gave me a 3" - 10 shot group @100 yds over the course of 5 days. Not exactly what I'd hoped for, but not a disaster.

The 1800 FPS load I am still testing.

FWIW.

Alan in GA
10-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Another reason the 358 Win is great - I had no neck splits expanding NATO cases to .358".
I used a Lee FL die that had the non tapered expander MODIFIED by me. Chucked the LONG expander rod in a drill and held to a grinding wheel to achieve a LONG TAPERED expanding rod.
Polished with Cratex wheel. NO split necks......wow...think of all the .308 cases around just waiting to become .358 cases!
I see that Lee now makes the .358 FL dies WITH a tapered expander rod! Nice that LEE noticed the need for those with '.358-itis'!
The 358 Win is the 'other favorite' hunting round of mine....the .250 Savage Ack Imp being the 'other'.
I am long overdue to replace the Ruger 77R 358 Win I owned and enjoyed for 12 years..... and this line of posts is going to push me to remedying that!

Menner
10-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks 35 Shooter can't wait to really start playing with this caliber.

I am using LC also its all once fired full length resized and annealed before I Neck them up

One thing I found and let me qualify it, I have only done 10 cases but even after running them through the FL 358 sizer I am getting very little if any neck tension on the boolit
Is this a result of the neck thinning out during the case forming?
The boolits I used are some that I had cast and sized for my marlin 35 rem and they are sized at 358 I am planning on putting a check in the mail to buckshot tomorrow for a 359 and maybe a 360 sizer what are you sizing your boolits to?
I have been doing a 2 step necking up when I ordered my dies I also got a 338 expander ball and I used it first then the 358 if I chucked up the 358 expander ball and took say a thousandth off it do you think it would help?
Tony

Oh and by the way the holes at the top of the white square is my buddy he just got a Savage 375H&H Guide rifle with the 20" barrel sweet rifle don't know if I would want to drop the hammer on a full house load with it, it only weighs 5 lbs.

Hannibal
10-04-2015, 10:59 PM
I don't have much experience resizing brass, but what has been working for me is taking clean, FLS .308 brass and running it thru the .358 die with the expander removed. Then I run it thru again with the expander in place, anneal the necks, and I've been in good shape.
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is perhaps, if you're using 35 Rem brass, perhaps it's getting work hardened and there is too much spring-back in the neck?
Annealing has been another learning experience for me. After some trial and error, I have been taking a cordless drill and a 1/2" x 1/4" drive socket and a coffee can of cool water into a pitch dark room with a propane torch. While spinning the case necks in the torch flame in the PITCH DARK ROOM, I drop them in water as soon as the neck is medium red. I used temp sticks initially to arrive at this method. Not trying to say there aren't other ways, but this has been working for me.

I'm also using a .360" bullet. That's what my barrel needs.

Hope this helps.

Menner
10-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks Hannibal
I am also using LC 308 brass I think when I get a 359 or 360 sizer I think it will make a big difference in the neck tension.
Tony

KLR
10-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Menner - You need to slug your bore to determine the correct size bullet first.

Artful
10-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes, if you take a case and reduce the neck
- 308 reformed to 243 or 22-250 the neck will thicken up
- and the reverse
- reforming a 308 to 358, will thin the neck.

Ben
10-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I have a 358009 mold, but haven't tried it in my .358 Savage 99, since the 200 grain FP worked so well and all I was hunting was deer. Do you know what velocity that load gives you?

No , I don't.
Ben

white eagle
10-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Built mine on a Win Model 70
rebarreled with a Pac-Nor at 21"
I use a custom mold from Mountain Molds @ 260 gr.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/358%20005_zpsif8mnws7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kempobb/media/358%20005_zpsif8mnws7.jpg.html),

Menner
10-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Nice shooting White Eagle

Well I decided to do a side by side comparison with Necked up 308 Brass and some Hornady 358 Win Brass I got my hands on.
Probably won't be able to get to the range until Sunday morning but I continue to ticker with the 308 brass seems to be coming out straight and pretty consistent around the neck it is so thin I would not want to try neck turning these cases
Tony

Artful
10-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Menner, if you want thicker necks - instead of starting with 308 use .30'06 - you'll have more trimming to do but the neck will actually be out of the thicker body brass after your done, and may require neck turning.

http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/284compare2.gif

Menner
10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks Artful
My buddy Frank and I had talked about that he collects the brass from the firing squads that I command for Veterans day and Memorial day ceremonies we use M1's and we use the local High school NJROTC cadets and we have to train each group so we end up with quite a bit of brass he has been case forming it for his Mausers and he has about a 100 untouched and Veteran's day is just around the corner so that is definitely on the list to give it a run
Thanks again
Tony

Hannibal
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I purchased several pieces of brass along with my rifle when I bought it that had been reformed from commercial brass. The necks on that brass were thin @ .0125", but I still had no trouble with cases splitting or neck tension. The reformed LC brass has a neck wall of .0145". This gives me a loaded round dia. of .387", which is .001" below SAAMI max cartridge neck dia.
Also, I got this bullet diameter confused with what I use in a Henry rifle. I am actually sizing to .358" with no neck tension trouble. Sorry about the mis-information.
I presume you are using some type of neck expander during your loading process? I'm using a Lyman 'M' die myself, perhaps your neck expander is opening the necks too far? If you can't get proper neck tension immediately after you size, and you have annealed your case necks so spring back is not an issue, perhaps your sizing die is not sizing the case necks enough?

Hope this helps.

Menner
10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
I came to the same conclusion I am using Lee die the die its self sizes the neck down plenty but the expander ball was really opening it back up
So last night I chucked up the expander and took a couple of thousandths off it and it is working really well

I am looking real hard at a RCBS bushing dies I am using the RCBS neck sizer for my 308 and I am getting GOOD results with it but they don't make one for the 358 Win so if I get the bushing dies I can get the bushings I want for both the 308 and the 358
Tony

Artful
10-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Contact Huntington Die Specialties they are the Custom arm of RCBS.
1-866 RELOADS But it will not be inexpensive.

Lee Precision will also do custom work so if you wanted a custom collet neck sizer
for .358 WCF they will do it.

If you find an off the shelf solution you are better off, Wonder if a 35 Remington die would work or just a carbide .357 mag /.38 spl sizing die? I can usually adjust my sizer to just do part of the neck by backing it off - have you tried that?

Menner
10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I looked at my 35 Rem collet die, tried messing with it I may be able to adjust it I did not spend a whole lot of time on it. It looks like Hornady has a neck sizing die for the 358 I may go that route but if all else fails I can partial size with the full length sizer I do this with the 204 Ruger I have a washer the thickness I want so that it makes repeatable just place the washer over the case and set press so it just touches the shoulder it works well with the 204
Tony

Menner
10-07-2015, 08:25 PM
On a lighter Note ended up at the range this evening the problem is there was no 358 or 308 with me my sons needed to sight in their muzzle loaders because the muzzle loader season opens Friday and they both figured while we were out we might as well sight in the slug guns MAN I CAN NOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATE SHOOTING SLUG GUNS OFF A BENCH AT PAPER!!!! I think I WILL have a lead sled by this time next year.
Tony

Artful
10-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Shooting to sight in either Shotguns or Really Heavy rifles are best done standing
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee195/afp416/Sabatti%20450%20NE/StandingBench1_zps4b2dddb9.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/afp416/media/Sabatti%20450%20NE/StandingBench1_zps4b2dddb9.jpg.html)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee195/afp416/Sabatti%20450%20NE/StandingBench2_zpse3a75c57.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/afp416/media/Sabatti%20450%20NE/StandingBench2_zpse3a75c57.jpg.html)

Although the one at the rod and gun club I used years ago was very basic compared to the above just looked like sheet music stand turned to give a sloping surface...no shelf - bolted to plywood that you would stand on.
http://cdn.jwpepper.com/covers/4907796.jpg

adjusted for height and angle - covered in leather

Menner
10-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Artful
That is an idea that had not occurred to me, I have never seen a stand up bench but it would definitely make the recoil easier to take. This will be placed on the to do list at the club and I would say may become a popular addition as we are a shotgun only state ( we do have a Pistol season and there is talk of allowing straight wall pistol cartridge lever action rifles during the shotgun season. I think it is a conspiracy to make me buy another 336 )
Tony

Artful
10-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Another solution that is field portable is to use a supporting stick
examples...
http://www.myhuntingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Shooting-Sticks.gif
http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/superflous-poopadoup/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/sticks21.jpg
http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/diy-shooting-sticks/

http://www.natchezss.com/media/catalog/product/B/N/BNCLD3.jpg
And/Or visit goodwill/2nd hand stores look for a video tripod that comes up to at least your shoulder height.

Artful
10-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Oh, and one more thing
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/699/699899.jpg

The PAST Super Mag Plus Shield is designed to provide the highest protection level of any PAST Shield. With the maximum amount of absorbing protection, shooting even the biggest calibers is tolerable. The comfortable leather cover conforms to the body while the energy-absorbing foam insert dramatically reduces felt recoil.

Technical Information

Material: Leather Covered 1" Energy Absorbing Foam

Recommended Uses:
Provides protection from recoil from rifles up to 7mm and beyond

Notes:

Ambidextrous

Contoured to fit the shooter's body (over the shoulder and onto the arm design protects more of your peck, shoulder, and bicep for benchrest shooting with larger calibers).

Gives the most protection during the 2 millisecond of peak recoil.

Warranty:
1-year warranty against manufacturing defects

Menner
10-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I have seen those. Its a lot cheaper than buying a lead sled that will get used 1 one time a year and I will have to store it he rest of the year.

shooting even the biggest calibers is tolerable
^^^^ Like this comment on somebody's opinion ^^^^
Tony

Hannibal
10-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I have a Past Mag recoil shield I use for my .358 BLR when I'm shooting in a tee shirt. Makes a considerable difference. The Super Mag shield I have not tried.

Menner
11-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I Finally got back out to the range with the 358 Win today.
Still getting the parts for the final rifle configuration but why not shoot it while I build it, got the 1 piece scope mount in so put that on and loaded up a few rounds 25 gr 3031 and a RCBS 35-200 boolit on top of it sighted the scope in and shot 2 5 round groups @ 100yrds. when I get the new stock I will start on load work up but not bad for a stab in the dark load
Tony

Artful
11-01-2015, 08:06 PM
looks promising indeed

Hannibal
11-01-2015, 09:19 PM
For a hunting load, I'd be pleased as punch!

JesterGrin_1
11-04-2015, 04:20 AM
This might help a bit. :) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115528-Stevens-200-into-a-358-Win-build-slow-lol

On the last page there is even a target :). To say that I like the .358 Winchester would be an understatement. And yes the center group is 5 rounds in less than a thumb nail.

It is a Savage (Stevens) Action with the E.R.Shaw 358 Winchester barrel 1-14 twist cut down to 20" set into a Boyds Thumb hole stock ( If you do go with a Boyds Stock I would pick the Thumb Hole stock as the fore end is wide enough to accommodate the E.R.Shaw Mag contour barrel but you can contact Boyd's to see if they have an equivalent now) The stock has pillars added and bedded with bed rock. Other small things were done but that is the meat of it. :)

I would also say to listen to Ben as he is very knowledgeable about the 358 Winchester.

Menner
11-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Nice looking Rifle Jester and shoots to
A Boyds Stock is in the future for this build. The last Savage/Stevens Build got a Eabco Thumbhole Varmint and I am very happy with it but they don't make one for the long action so I am going with the Boyds
I think I am going with the Coyote Just to be different
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/images/items/Fullsize/C10027.jpg?t=635505134860000000
Tony

JesterGrin_1
11-05-2015, 05:44 AM
The Coyote is nice and I also liked the Forest Camo by Boyd's. But as you say I wished to be a bit different lol. And I think I made the bolt lever a bit long but it sure does work nice and is hard to miss lol.

You should be very happy with the .358 Winchester for either Cast and or jacketed. And I will admit that if I would have had the .358 Winchester built first I would have never messed with building a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. As there is nothing down here that needs that kind of WOMP lol.

As I have a thread or a post on this forum as to when I used it on a bit over a 200LB Hog at I think it was 125 yards or so and with the Speer 250Gr Grand Slam pushed with Reloader 15 in my 35 Whelen it went through Both shoulders and the Heart and Lungs and made about a half hand size hole when it came out and spread blood probably 6-8 feet out and 4 feet wide and slammed that hog to the ground with authority. The other hunters looked at the Hog where it layed when we went to pick it up and pretty much in unison what was the caliber again lol. Yep it was a bit much lol.

Menner
11-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately we can't rifle hunt anything but Varmints (I have a 204 Ruger that is lights out for that) in Delaware so this will be a cast boolit bench rifle I have started shooting in a CBA match once a month that is what the other rifle was built for it's a Stevens 200 that I put a Criterion 308 Win Barrel on.
I ran up on this Action and did some research and really liked the 358 Win so here we are will be a few months before I have all the pieces together but I am happy so far will keep updates coming.
Tony

Menner
01-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Well its time to get back to the 358Win
Got the Boyds Stock in Coyote in just before Christmas a Weaver T-36 and I have a NOE 35XCB mold (have I said lately how much I like NOE Molds) and a RCBS 35-200 and a .359 and a .360 sizers from Buckshot. I casted a few 35XCB Boolits sized them to .359 and going to push them down the Barrel tomorrow.
LET THE LOAD DEVELOPMENT BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony

JesterGrin_1
01-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Well its time to get back to the 358Win
Got the Boyds Stock in Coyote in just before Christmas a Weaver T-36 and I have a NOE 35XCB mold (have I said lately how much I like NOE Molds) and a RCBS 35-200 and a .359 and a .360 sizers from Buckshot. I casted a few 35XCB Boolits sized them to .359 and going to push them down the Barrel tomorrow.
LET THE LOAD DEVELOPMENT BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony

Menner very nice rifle build. But a word to the wise do not under any circumstances shoot that rifle as if you do all of your other rifles will start to rust from non use lol. :)

Menner
01-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jester
I am looking forward to developing loads for this rifle.
we will see what this budget Shaw barrel will do.
Tony

Menner
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Back from the range had to sight in the scope after bore sighting at 50 yrds first shot was the far right second shot went through the same hole I made a scope adjustment third shot is left about 4 inches another scope adjustment and hit the paper then I used the hole on the white paper as POA and fired the next 6 in the group. the one slightly higher is the dummy behind the stocks fault.
Boolit - 35XCB COWW air cooled sized to .359 25 gr 3031
Over all a good outing for the really the first time out with the rifle as built I am excited about this rifle

Tony

JesterGrin_1
01-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Well darn it you went and did it. There is no hope for you now lol. :)

waksupi
01-03-2016, 04:23 PM
.358 Win's are such friendly rifles. They just WANT to shoot! And they do.

Artful
01-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Nice grouping - how many groups have you done with that load?

Menner
01-03-2016, 06:08 PM
The rifle is definitely fun to shoot. Today was really just to sight the scope in and pull the trigger on a new rifle I just put together.
The load is just a grab it out of the air from a couple of books using jacketed data I shot it when I first put the barrel on the action and still had the Tupperware stock on it Then shot it again today are the only times I have shot it. I am going to play with 3031 with this rifle it seems to like it so far
Tony

JesterGrin_1
01-03-2016, 09:56 PM
The sweet spot for mine was 33.5Gr of IMR-3031 with the BRP-360-225Gr GC boolit. Pretty much a copy of the RCBS 358-200 GC just a bit heavier. And sized .360. Will put 5 rounds in less than a thumb nail. I did give a link to that thread with the Savage (Stevens) build.

What I would really like to find is a good hunting load in the .358 Winchester and the 358009 with commercially available powder.

Menner
01-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Jester I seen the target in the link that is awesome accuracy.
is that a COWW Boolit is it heat treated or water dropped
I am going to be working up that boolit along with the 35XCB Boolit that comes in at just over 230gr with the GC
why go searching when that 200 gr boolit w/ 33.5 gr of 3031 has got to pushing 2K and from all accounts that boolit hits like a Mack Truck
Tony

JesterGrin_1
01-03-2016, 10:48 PM
I have no clue as to how fast it is going lol. But the lead is 3 parts Pure plumbers lead and 2 parts Linotype lead and then dropped into a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Again I have no idea how fast but I do know it hardly has any recoil.

Menner
01-03-2016, 11:41 PM
I'll let you know how fast it is when I get up that far I'll run it over the crony but my Scientific Wild A$$ Guess is its got to be close to the 2K mark
I am using a Heat Treated COWW Boolit should be about the same bhn as your alloy
Hopefully I get the same accuracy you did
Tony

JesterGrin_1
01-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Sorry I forgot to add the lube. I used BAC and then 45-45-10 Alox for grins. I have no clue if it matters but I thought I should add the information. Good Luck. But above all else have fun. :)

Menner
01-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Got out to the range yesterday set down at the 100 yrd bench put 2 down range scope adjustment 3 more to get it close then a 5 shot string windy day 20 to 25 mph left to right looks really good

Had 10 that were sized to .360 did not seem to like them as well with this powder combo at this speed
The fun has begun got 50 cases fire formed ready to setup for next week end
Tony