PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good price on Possi 92 in 45 colt?

Tackleberry41
10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Stopped at the LGS for some scope rings, always tend to browse a little, a whole pile of Henry, but a bit steep for me. But do have a new Rossi R92 in 45 colt, the long barreled model. Wants $449, I know MSRP is meaningless as Rossi lists it for $624.

A bit wary of buying a Rossi, the single shots I have do not fill me with confidence. And have read about the issues with ones people have bought. Way my luck goes I will get a bad one. But I like 45 colt, be the 5th weapon in it, and from what I read will take my Ruger blackhawk loads w out any issue.

sparky45
10-02-2015, 05:16 PM
I have two Rossi 92's; one is 357 and the other 44-40. Both are running excellent after a through cleaning and stoning of the action parts.

Speedo66
10-02-2015, 05:40 PM
If that's new it's a good price. Bud's is currently $466, plus you'd have to pay a transfer fee.

I'd grab it at that price. Is it the 24" octagonal with case color hardening?

The newer ones are coming in in better shape, mine was fine with no problems. Action is strong enough for Ruger only loads.

Lots of excellent Rossi info here: www.rossi-rifleman.com

Tackleberry41
10-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Its the long barreled version, regular round barrel. It will be $503 out the door. Local place, always very fair on prices, can do layaway. Why I try not to stop by to much. I would hope its not hard to replace the front sight.

w5pv
10-03-2015, 07:06 AM
I have a Rossi 92 in 45c and love it, good strong action,and shoots as close as this shakly old man can hold it with open sights.No problems at all.

runfiverun
10-03-2015, 07:39 PM
replacing the front sight is super easy, getting one with the proper dovetail size is a bit more difficult.
no they don't use the standard 3/8th's size.

with the newer guns you are the quality control division of Taurus, take each gun on it's own merits.

sghart3578
10-03-2015, 10:24 PM
My first Rossi 92 several years ago was a ***. And the customer service was even worse. They had my rifle 5 MONTHS before I had enough. It was enough to make me swear off Rossis forever.

Then I got a hankerin' for a lever action 45 Colt. I wanted a Marlin 1894 to go with my 1894C in .357 mag. But the prices gave me heart problems. At the local gun store they had a Rossi and I reluctantly looked it over. I decided to gamble again.

And I have been pleasantly surprised. I shot it again for the 4th time yesterday. It is the 24" octagon barrel, blued receiver. I shoot the Lee 452-255-RF bullet, as cast. They drop at .454" and are perfect. Two coats of BLL and we're off.

Accurate and fun. What a difference. I shoot 9 gr of Unique and 16 gr of 2400. It is awesome.

If you buy one look it over. My first was a round barrel and the sights were canted so bad I couldn't hit the paper at 25 yards. I bought it online, never again with a Rossi. I once bought a new Smith and Wesson revolver with a canted barrel but one phone call to customer service and my revolver was perfect 10 days later, with no out-of-pocket expense. With Rossi I had to pay to ship it back, wait 5 months and still got screwed over.

YMMV

P.S. If you want the case hardened receiver I would do some investigating. I hear that it is applied through a transfer process and is poorly done. It doesn't seem to hold up. I got the blued one and I like it very much.

Buckshot
10-04-2015, 02:32 AM
http://www.fototime.com/7848272124A4E8F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

I have a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt, 24" octagon bbl. I paid $609 with tax and all the California nonsense.

http://www.fototime.com/6095DE66E2CE882/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D17E117B0ED6111/standard.jpg

I believe that the color case is of the 'Dipped' variety, and while not the real thing and a bit garish it seems to be holding up just fine.

http://www.fototime.com/5751F9BA77BF996/standard.jpg

I'd suggest you take it apart once you get it. If you have a Dremel and some Cratex abrasive bob's you should be fine. Baring that a set of miniature diamond files would be good. But don't go buy them until you've got the rifle apart as you might not need them. I did some work on a buddy's Stainless Rossi 38/357 he'd bought for his wife, and this was in the tidal wave of early Cowboy Action shooting craze. I think Rossi was really pushing them out the door. Mainly it was 'pigs ears' hanging off edges and corners, and most of the edges and corners were very sharp.

On my 45 Colt I just broke sharp edges and made sure there wasn't any little bits and tag ends foating around. I also have a 38/357 RB carbine and it didn't need a thing done to it. The bore of my 45 Colt is tight @ .446" x .450" which makes the grooves only .002" deep. Twist is 32". I also have a Winchester (Miroku)_M92 in 45 colt with 24" round barrel. It's bore slugs the more common .443" x .451". Oddly enough it has a 16" twist.

The Rossi is an attractive rifle, and it operates smoothly and I've never had a moments problem with it.

http://www.fototime.com/C5172D22760ADBF/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/2C9E4B8FED00076/standard.jpg

I put a Marbles tang sight on it. I wouldn't have done that if it wouldn't shoot, and it DOES shoot very nicely. The only thing about it that I dislike is that the chamber is rather large. It will accept a cartridge with a slug sized .457". I didn't do a chamber cast (I should) but after checking the ID of some fired cases I tired a Lee 458-340-F and it swallowed it without a hiccup.

http://www.fototime.com/68E891AD4F08210/standard.jpg

This photo was taken as I'd tried the Lyman 300gr 457191 and the Lee 457-340F in my old model Vaquero, and with it's 16" twist the Lee stabilized. I doubt that the bulk of the Rossi's in 45 Colt would have a chamber this large, but have no evidence one way or the other.

..................Buckshot

Tackleberry41
10-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Im at a bit of a loss as to why its so hard to make a decent gun, they have people in India and Pakistan making dang near perfect guns using the most rudimentary of equipment, yet Taurus/Rossi have such issues with modern machinery. I know their aiming for the budget market, but seems like if they raised prices just a little and could cut back on their hit or miss issues they would actually sell more and make more money.

I read that some of them do prefer a 454 bullet over 451, which seems a bit dumb as its been a long time since anybody made 454 45 colt. It looks like a nice gun, wont know about bullets until I get it home. Be real nice if it could run the same ammo as I feed my black hawk, vs requiring yet another 45 colt to keep track of so it goes in the right weapon. Might have to switch to the 240gr XTP for some loads as the 200gr has no crimp groove, not a huge issue in a revolver, but would be in a tube fed gun.

I generally take a gun apart soon as I get it anyways. Even ones I paid good money for had to be taken apart and fixed.

Ken in Iowa
10-09-2015, 08:50 AM
replacing the front sight is super easy, getting one with the proper dovetail size is a bit more difficult.
no they don't use the standard 3/8th's size.

with the newer guns you are the quality control division of Taurus, take each gun on it's own merits.

Agreed. We have had several Rossi '92s in the family and among CAS friends. Quality has been all over the place.

I use an EMF Hartford from a few years back. It's identical to Buckshot's except it has a blued receiver. We have run thousands of rounds of CAS loads through it. It feeds SWC boolits quite well too. It's never givin us any trouble. I did replace the mag spring and follower as a preventative measure.

A good buddy has a newer Puma with the color case hardened receiver. He choose to refinish the stock. After stripping and finishing with BLO, a beautiful figure was revealed.

The 45 Colt chambers are quite generous. I live with sooty brass. If I were to shoot hot loads all the time, the 44 mag would be a better choice. If I were to shoot the Holy Black, the 44/40 would be preferred.

huntrick64
10-09-2015, 12:31 PM
$450 out the door would be fair as long as the chamber was not oversized. As a matter of fact, if the chamber was not oversized, it might be worth $550 to a previously frustrated Rossi 45 Colt owner. The Rossi 45 Colt is notorious for bulging cases as they are fired. I bought my long barreled Rossi 45 (Octagon / CCH) as a companion for my 45 Colt Ruger Bisley so I could swap rounds back and forth between the two. Ends up, that is not the case. I have renamed the cartridge that comes out of my Rossi the "45 WTH" because "What The H" is what you say once you see the bulge in the case. You can always resize it, but you are working your brass so much that they will split pretty quickly. You really can't anneal the case down by the head so that is not an option either.

I love the gun, and it is one of my favorites to shoot. Easy to hit anything within 75 yds (even little bitty targets). I simply keep my brass separate from all other 45 Colt brass and just label it "45 WTH". I only size the case mouth down (which I can anneal). Works for me, and I get a lot of questions when visitors see my ammo can labels 45/70, 45 Auto, 45 Colt, and 45 WTH.

Go get it!

starmac
10-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Im at a bit of a loss as to why its so hard to make a decent gun, they have people in India and Pakistan making dang near perfect guns using the most rudimentary of equipment, yet Taurus/Rossi have such issues with modern machinery. I know their aiming for the budget market, but seems like if they raised prices just a little and could cut back on their hit or miss issues they would actually sell more and make more money.

I read that some of them do prefer a 454 bullet over 451, which seems a bit dumb as its been a long time since anybody made 454 45 colt. It looks like a nice gun, wont know about bullets until I get it home. Be real nice if it could run the same ammo as I feed my black hawk, vs requiring yet another 45 colt to keep track of so it goes in the right weapon. Might have to switch to the 240gr XTP for some loads as the 200gr has no crimp groove, not a huge issue in a revolver, but would be in a tube fed gun.

I generally take a gun apart soon as I get it anyways. Even ones I paid good money for had to be taken apart and fixed.

The general public has shown the manufacturers that they would rather pay a cheaper price for a cheaper gun, as long as it goes bang, than pay for quality. It isn't about how hard it is to build, but rather what will sell at a profit.

Tackleberry41
10-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Oh I know there are many like my mother whos only concern is price. Unfortunately it seems most companies have forced such things on us. Seems anymore you either buy cheap junk, or thru the nose with little in between. I know their trying to hit a price point, but often ends up blowing up in their face. Like the Remingtons R51, they tried to keep the price down to compete with others. When they should have just ignored what others were getting and concentrated on what theirs is worth. Im not one to walk in a store and say wow $10 more well Ill take the other one. If its what I want and a fair price Ill buy it.

Its infected everything anymore. I have worked for huge nationwide companies, and little mom and pop places. They all do the same things. Save a dollar today to waste 5 next week. Worked at a car dealer, owned by Sonic so a big place. They added several bays onto the shop, then decided the place to save a few bucks was not to add any electric for the new bays. Sure that will probably work, an extension cord across the floor to trip on. They saved a few bucks on the construction, then had to pay full electrician prices to have them come back later. Not sure where the savings were. Or the shop I worked at that didn't want to pay for lift maintenance, yea he saved that monthly fee, but then had to blow a pile of cash to get a car down once the lift got stuck, regular maintenance would have adjusted the cables, vs damaging them. VW spent a bunch of money developing a diesel engine, then instead of fixing the issue then at much smaller cost, now it will cost them billions. HK put out military weapons they knew would not hold up. Rossi saves the labor cost of taking the edges off their internal parts, or even make sure their right, whats it cost to fix them after, plus the lost customers? Seems anymore all companies cater to the bottom feeder market, ignoring everybody else.

5614estell
10-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Stopped at the LGS for some scope rings, always tend to browse a little, a whole pile of Henry, but a bit steep for me. But do have a new Rossi R92 in 45 colt, the long barreled model. Wants $449, I know MSRP is meaningless as Rossi lists it for $624.

A bit wary of buying a Rossi, the single shots I have do not fill me with confidence. And have read about the issues with ones people have bought. Way my luck goes I will get a bad one. But I like 45 colt, be the 5th weapon in it, and from what I read will take my Ruger blackhawk loads w out any issue.
Remember a lot of guns are bought and shot very little if ever. Diamonds in the rough. Besides it's fun to work on guns.

Its the long barreled version, regular round barrel. It will be $503 out the door. Local place, always very fair on prices, can do layaway. Why I try not to stop by to much. I would hope its not hard to replace the front sight.

Oh I know there are many like my mother whos only concern is price. Unfortunately it seems most companies have forced such things on us. Seems anymore you either buy cheap junk, or thru the nose with little in between. I know their trying to hit a price point, but often ends up blowing up in their face. Like the Remingtons R51, they tried to keep the price down to compete with others. When they should have just ignored what others were getting and concentrated on what theirs is worth. Im not one to walk in a store and say wow $10 more well Ill take the other one. If its what I want and a fair price Ill buy it.

Its infected everything anymore. I have worked for huge nationwide companies, and little mom and pop places. They all do the same things. Save a dollar today to waste 5 next week. Worked at a car dealer, owned by Sonic so a big place. They added several bays onto the shop, then decided the place to save a few bucks was not to add any electric for the new bays. Sure that will probably work, an extension cord across the floor to trip on. They saved a few bucks on the construction, then had to pay full electrician prices to have them come back later. Not sure where the savings were. Or the shop I worked at that didn't want to pay for lift maintenance, yea he saved that monthly fee, but then had to blow a pile of cash to get a car down once the lift got stuck, regular maintenance would have adjusted the cables, vs damaging them. VW spent a bunch of money developing a diesel engine, then instead of fixing the issue then at much smaller cost, now it will cost them billions. HK put out military weapons they knew would not hold up. Rossi saves the labor cost of taking the edges off their internal parts, or even make sure their right, whats it cost to fix them after, plus the lost customers? Seems anymore all companies cater to the bottom feeder market, ignoring everybody else.

Crash_Corrigan
10-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I will not buy any Rossi. I got badly burned when I bought off the Interweb from a guy in Syracuse NY a 357 Snubbie made by Rossi. It was the worst piece of %^*^ that I have ever shot. I for a time had a Hi-Point 9 MM and that was a Cadillac compared to the Yugo Rossi. When fired with full power 357 loading this gun could or would not even be capable of firing off the full cylinder of six rounds. The pain was just too much for me to handle. Thankfully a thief made of with that revolver along with a full blown race gun Smith 586 and a Ruger Single Six. The Smith and Ruger I regret losing but I say good riddance to the Rossi.

It was out of time and shaved lead badly. It threw shots all over the place even with powder puff .38's at short ranges. In general it was useless other than a noise maker. I saw a Marlin in 44-40 a few years later that I failed to pull the trigger on at a gun show and I have regretted it since.

I have a Taurus 1911 and I could not be happier with it. Accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I love my Rugers, all six of them. Ditto with my Smiths in 357 and 41 Magnum. My Sig, Browning and Eaa Witness in 9MM are wonderful. I adore my Marlin 38-55 CB model along with a pair of CZ's in .22 LR and .223. Ditto with my Garand, pair of 303's, custom mauser in 6.5.x 55 MM and a commercial 8 x 57 MM Mauser from the early 20's.

MT Chambers
10-09-2015, 08:17 PM
So that's a Rossi Possi?

rondog
10-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I seem to have the purple hornies for a 24" octagonal Rossi R92 in .45 Colt, but I haven't found ANYBODY in the Denver area that carries Rossi leverguns in stock. I like to see before I buy. If anybody here knows of a shop in the Denver area that has them, pm me please. I'd like to be a Rossi lover too, or a Rossi hater. Anything but a Rossi wanter! I don't want to order one online.

starmac
10-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Lots of folks raved about marlin quality, and so many of them bought them they sold out to remington. Marlin leverguns have been around long before rossi, and there was not a huge difference in price point.

snglstack
10-10-2015, 01:41 AM
I seem to have the purple hornies for a 24" octagonal Rossi R92 in .45 Colt, but I haven't found ANYBODY in the Denver area that carries Rossi leverguns in stock. I like to see before I buy. If anybody here knows of a shop in the Denver area that has them, pm me please. I'd like to be a Rossi lover too, or a Rossi hater. Anything but a Rossi wanter! I don't want to order one online.

There's a dealer on Auction Arms that lists from Aurora. Might be Gunbroker...

Tackleberry41
10-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Won't know how it shoots or if its going to tear up brass until I get it. Its on layaway, problem with that place to easy to buy guns that way. Still not sure how they can screw that up. I bought a basic reamer off the internet and chambered 2 guns w it in 45 colt. Both came out near perfect, that was using a pair of vice grips to hold the reamer. So not sure what Rossi is doing in their factory. Its going to be a problem gun, Ill just get rid of it vs going round and round with Rossi.

josephgioiellli
10-14-2015, 02:57 PM
From what I have gathered - the CAS crowd often has issues with the Rossi in 357. But their guns are worked hard and fast.

The .45 seem to have fewer issues. I have had one for ten years in .45 with no issues.

There are videos available that show you how to fix the more common problems. Were it me, I would buy the gun in question. It seems like a reasonable price for a decent gun.

Tackleberry41
10-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Well the money to pay for the rifle came in so picked it up. Guess its technically used, it had a previous owner, who didn't fire it. I had a bit of a complex, with Rossi history, and my luck. Didn't lose any skin loading it, but definitely need to smooth the edge of that loading port. It was shaving metal off the free blazer I have to run thru it, really only factory ammo I have, someone gave it to me. No feed issues, one hang up, but new gun, aluminum ammo, probably needs the guts smoothed out. No bulged cases that I can see, nothing obvious. Does hang up a little right before closing, again might just needs the guts smoothed out. Just ran some rounds thru it to make sure it worked. See how the aim is tomorrow.

7br
10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Spelling??

Buckshot
10-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Does hang up a little right before closing, again might just needs the guts smoothed out. Just ran some rounds thru it to make sure it worked. See how the aim is tomorrow.

...............Probably the ejector spring is the main culprit. You can get a replacement spring from GPC for the Miroku made Winchester M92, and it will make a VAST improvement.

................Buckshot

Tackleberry41
10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Its a little bit of everything, maybe Rossi should sell them as kits vs a rifle. I found a site on slicking up the Win 1892, and guess most of it applies to the Rossi copy. The ejector spring was mentioned, cutting a little off, it is pretty dang stiff. Plus all the edges that had to be taken off, the shaft cleaned up and polished, and of course where it goes in the bolt. It hangs up on the rim of the case, then snaps in. The extractor is really really tight, overly tight. But again tons of sharp edges, I had to dig it out of the bolt. So hoping cleaning it up will make a difference. Not sure if you can lighten the extractor tension?

Where the hammer rides on the bolt was rough as can be, this rough edged hump in one spot. It goes on and on. The carrier detent was hanging up, it all adds up. Got it apart..again doing more polishing. Going to smooth the edge off the chamber, its cut right, just no clean up after. Guess with a Henry the extra $300 is so you don't have to do all that.

But it does shoot straight, and with .451 bullets. I know some have had issues with that or sloppy chambers tearing up brass. Going to load some 240gr XTP mags for it, see how they do. I have some stuff loaded for my blackhawk, but fitted to that gun, some with no crimping groove, doubt they would do well in a tube feed. Picked up some more brass other day since I got the rifle.

What is it about 45 colt, you can get 44mag cheaper, not like theres any more material involved in the 2.

Ilwil
10-29-2015, 12:14 AM
I traded away another rifle for an almost new Rossi 92 in .44-40. It would not, could not chamber a round when working the action. It is only a single shot rifle, and not too accurate either. So, I took it to a very well-regarded local gunsmith and requested he smooth out the action. He called me soon after, and told me to come back for it, that there was nothing that he could do for it. He said all the internal parts are so crudely machined, they could not be improved, and for him to fabricate parts would be far more expensive for me than was feasible. This turned out to be the worst single gun I have had among several hundreds over 40 years. If anyone loves a challenge, contact me and I'll give you a smoking deal, particularly if you are in Washington.

Buckshot
10-29-2015, 02:38 AM
..............My Rossi M92 x 45 Colt shoots very well, so no issues there. With a barrel slugging .446" x .450" the grooves are only .002" deep, and it makes for a tight bore. The chamber WILL swallow a case with a Lee 457-340F sized to .457" :-) But, as mentioned it shoots very well. I suppose they ARE a work in progress with some being moreso then others.

Dealing with Braztech for parts can be a bit of an eye opener. Upon initially taking mine apart the threads of the hammer pivot screw were stripped. I called customer service said I needed the screw (blued) and got a stainless one. Called'em back and they apologized and said they'd get a replacement out, no charge. So ...........now I have TWO stainless hammer screws :-) In the meantime I ordered a tap and die. I used the tap to chase the threads in the receiver and figured I make my own replacement blued screw. I'll tell ya one thing, that receiver is harder then the hubs of hell! IIRC the tap is a M4.5 x .050 and I just KNEW it was going to break while I chased the threads! Didn't happen, but it was TIGHT. Obviously the action was hardened AFTER it was tapped as there was no way you could have D&T'd the hole afterwards.

I have a friend in Great Britain with a M92 Rossi 38/357 who asked if I could get him an ejector. Of course I said, "Sure, no problem" :-) However the ejector is a 'Restricted' part. This means if you need one you have to ship the rifle back to them to have it fitted. I mentioned this to my pal, but said I could get a Winchester (Miroku) ejector from GPC, and that he might have to do a bit of fiddling to get it to fit, so he said to get one.

I also plan on making the unthreaded shank of the screw larger in OD to match the hole in the hammer so it wouldn't be so wobbly. The cartridge lifter has the same issue as the hammer, with the screw it pivots on being too small in OD. This allows the lifter to rub on the right side of the receiver due to the lifter plunger pushing it over. It's not a major problem, but it's just not the way it should be.

I didn't study it closely when I had it apart, but I know the lifter is a casting, and probably the hammer also, and their pivot holes are probably not drilled, but part of the casting process. Since they're so sloppy I cannot fathom how or why it would be otherwise.

................Buckshot

Tackleberry41
10-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Seems some gun companies are in a race to the bottom. Well probably all eventually. Once one company starts cutting corners to make their product more 'affordable', then other companies not wanting to lose the sales follow suit. They know some people will choose a different brand over another for just a few dollars. So they seem to cater to that market, vs just making a good product thats worth the extra little bit. The last several guns I have bought were disappointing. A $1000 Uberti that had to be taken apart and fixed out of the box, never heard a word back from the company after several emails. A Ruger SP101 that felt like it had gravel inside. Cheap molds that cast undersized bullets.

The rifle works, shoots straight. Got some loads using W296 w 240gr XTP mag doing 1700fps over my chrony. Figure I will stick with that load.

Tackleberry41
11-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Finally got to sit down and shoot the rifle, took more than a few taps to get the front sight where it needed to be. Once there, its almost hard to miss with the rifle. Am tempted to put some better sights on it, maybe a front ramp with a hood, the fiber optics just don't take abuse like an all metal one. But it was easy to ding the metal gongs over and over at my friends place. Thinking it needs something softer than a curved metal butt plate. Not so much an issue with factory loads running 1150fps, vs the Ruger level ones clocking 1748. Just make it more fun to shoot. Might look into a 357 one, maybe a little shorter handier barrel.

rondog
11-02-2015, 01:09 AM
I've found a couple of local sources, finally. Also found a Rossi forum, for those interested.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/index.php