PDA

View Full Version : In the Dark!!!

Meatco1
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Guys:

Newby here, so don't pound on me too bad if I posted this in the wrong area.

Casting to me, is a whole new ball game, and I don't really know where to start. I know I'll need a casting pot, molds, lead, lube, dipper, swedger, & who knows what else. All easy to buy, but I suspect I better find a good book on the subject as well, any suggestions?

If I buy bullets the cost + shipping + tax is high, but by buying the casting equipment needed I can cast for all guns to offset the initial costs.

However my question today, concerns buying a specific mold. I've found a bullet that my 50 cal Hawken shoots very well. What I’m wondering is, if I supply a particular bullet to a mold maker, can that custom mold maker design a mold to produce that same bullet? Or, does it have to be different in some way to avoid a patent infringement?

Thanks for putting up with me,

Richard

45nut
04-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Welcome Richard,
Looks like you selected the right area since your question IS about design.

If you are wondering about an old ldeal or H&G or such then such worries would be unfounded, we have replicated dozens via our group buys. Most of the makers that do such custom work would ask for a drawing though.
I will step aside for the rest of the crew to idle in with more info.

mooman76
04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
If you could post a picture, someone here might have a mould for you or be able to help. A custom mould going so lo will cost you allot. There are currently several 50 cal bullet moulds made that shoot well in the Hawkin.

HeavyMetal
04-05-2008, 10:44 PM
If your buying cast boolits some one had to make the mold for it! It's a rare day a commercial caster does a custom mold!

Suggest you check out the stickies section of this site and look at the mold makers list. If they have a web page they'll have a catalog listed as well.

Look them over and see if you can find you boolit. Then it's a simple as placing an order.

I think you'll get lucky quick and welcome aboard!