PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24-P sight replacement?

nekshot
10-01-2015, 09:31 AM
We have a savage 24 series P 22 over 20 ga. This obviously is the economy model and the rear sight is total basic. The basic problem is the elevator. It is a single blade and is sitting on a round thin barrel and slips to either side as jolts to the gun happen and the poa changes. I have seen double sided elevators but they are thin metal and flat on the bottom. Has anyone made a replacemt sight for these guns that work for the rifle sighting. The shot gun can be figured out from there. They have slight grooves on barrel edge for a optic to be clamped to but the recoil from this beast from a 20 ga 3 incher is severe to say the least. Surely some machinist has come up with a 2 pc unit that clamps and tightens around the 22 barrel(I am thinking of it) but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has! Any one have info on this gun and replacing cheap rear sight?

pietro
10-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Not AFAIK - I would zero the existing sight, possibly using small/flat shim stock ILO the step elevator (zero with the step elevator, then measure the height before replacing the step elevator with a shim), then epoxy the new "elevator" in place.

Mk42gunner
10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
What about soldering a section of tubing to the bottom of the step elevator, so it straddles the barrel? Something like this -(, where the - is the elevator and the ( is the tubing?

It might keep the elevator from bouncing around under recoil. Might be a dumb idea, too.

Robert

nekshot
10-01-2015, 04:10 PM
I never thought of gluing or epoxy! I like the idea of a round tube cut in half and soldering it to elevator. I knew there had to be a better way than I was going, thanks alot!

nekshot
10-02-2015, 08:55 AM
sorry I can not get my pictures to load here but I took the advice given and cut a 3/8 nut in half and cut a slit in it for the factory elevator, ground it to fit barrel and a nice contour on top, then I used JP epoxy and this morn I cleaned it up and painted it and it looks like it came from the factory this way. I like it and now my POA will stay the same!

pietro
10-02-2015, 12:12 PM

That's thinking outside the box ! Nice solution, too.

olafhardt
10-07-2015, 02:59 AM
I got a short piece of small black pipe. I think it was 3/8 but it may have been 1/4. I slit this pipe and beat a piece of tapered steel into it until it would slide over the barrel. The 22 extractor is held in by a tiny screw and is spring loaded. Remove this screw and spend 3 days looking for the various parts that went flying. Order new parts. While waiting on new parts to come in drill and tap two holes in the split pipe to hold a rear sight in. Williams makes some great ones even peeps. D&T another couple of 6x48 holes some where in the split pipe. Now the parts that you have ordered may have come in. Slide the split piece of pipe over the back end of the 22 barrel and reinstall the extractor.
Completely remove the original rear sight. The new rear sight can be clamped to the barrel with the two extra 6x48 screws in the holes you drilled and tapped into the base. When you try this sight you will most likely find it shoots way too high because the front sight is too low. I filed the front sight completely off, cut and split another short piece of pipe and drill and tap it for either a 6,8 or 10x32 nylon or brass screw from the hard ware store. Slip the split pipe over the end of the barrel and clamp with the screw. This screw can be cut down to make a usable front sight. The screw may look tall and spindly. I screw a nut down on the screw to form sort of a base and lock the screw. I am on sort of a vacation and may be able to post pictures when I get back.

Papa smurf
10-10-2015, 03:53 PM
I have the same model Savage . Is there a scope mounting system for this model ? -----------------Papa Smurf

olafhardt
10-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Papa Smurf. The splitsided pipe method I described above can be used to mount a scope.

pietro
10-11-2015, 02:26 PM
I have the same model Savage . Is there a scope mounting system for this model ? -----------------Papa Smurf

Either 1" or smaller (3/4" & 7/8") scope rings that clamp on to RF rifle's scope mount grooves are available from several makers (google ".22 scope rings").

If clamp-on rings move under (shotgun) recoil, it's easy enough to install an Allen Head screw into the bbl top, butted against the front of one of the rings, to act as a recoil plate.

nekshot
10-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Ola, what you did is what I am interested in doing for mine so I can use a scope for the shotgun with slugs. I simply do not trust the factory grooves to hold the rings when lighting off a 3 inch slug!!! The open site I fixed from moving but for my eyes I need a scope.

olafhardt
10-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Neck, just take a piece of steel pipe and slit it down one side with a hack saw, dremel what ever. Between spreading the split and grinding down the insides of the split, make a sleeve that will slide over the barrel after you have removep the ejector assembly. Remove the sleeve. Drill and tap this sleeve for what ever type mounts you want to use. I advise agianst see through mounts. Drill and tap a few extra holes in the base. Put the mounts on the sleeve. Very likely you will have to grind a little off the mount screws so they won't touch the barrel. Start a few screws in the extra holes you drilled. Slide the whole mess on the barrel and replace the extractor assembly. Mount what ever scope or sight you want. The extra screws can be used to allow you to rotate the scope to bore sight. After you have the screws tight there will be spaces between the mount and barrel. Work some Gorilla or other polyurethane glue up in those spaces. Don't get carried away with the glue as it expands as it dries.
NOTICE TO PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A SLIDELINE: I have seen lots of people looking for ways to mount scopes on Savages, adjustable sights on handguns, scout scopes on anything etc. I have built and mounted lots of these type of bubba sights to use on my own guns. I feel like there is a market for them. It requires a drill press, vice some drills, taps etc. If someone wants to make them and sell them pm me.

nekshot
10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
thanks, I get the idea and I will do that this winter!