View Full Version : Pedersoli Rolling Block Load Levels

Area Man
10-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Should I keep them to trapdoor pressure levels or would it be more on par with modern lever guns?

I inherited the rifle and I know at least a few times my dad ran Ruger level loads through it. I'm no hot rodder and I certainly don't want to push my luck. I'm just wondering where my safe limits are.

Nobade
10-01-2015, 07:55 AM
I keep them pretty light in mine. Sure it's made from modern steel but it's still a rolling block and will kill you if it lets go. No reason to try to push it, I assume it's 45-70 since you mention trapdoor loads. Keep it there and it'll still shoot through any game animal you might encounter with the right bullet. Besides, with as much drop as those stocks have it will hurt if you make it kick really hard.

-Nobade

Vann
10-01-2015, 08:03 AM
I also have a Pedersoli rolling block. Per their Website 29,000 cup is max.

Toymaker
10-04-2015, 12:48 PM
I've found the Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45/70 to be a fun rifle that was fun to develop loads for and to shoot. I've had two and only found them to be "particular" in that the first didn't like black powder loads and the second needs a cartridge longer than the recommended OAL. Loading the second one up beyond this (pictures) is uncomfortable to shoot, so why do it? 5-shot groups, 100 yards, bench.
150408 150409

JSnover
10-04-2015, 01:03 PM
What's your purpose? No reason to exceed Pedersolis recommended max for game but if you're shooting paper you may as well go light.

Area Man
10-04-2015, 04:49 PM
What's your purpose? No reason to exceed Pedersolis recommended max for game but if you're shooting paper you may as well go light.

Hunting mostly. Like I said, I'm no hot rodder - no need to max things out. I just picked up 340 grain HP mold. I was just thinking if accuracy was at the higher end of the velocity spectrum it'd be good to know upper safety limits.

I'll stick with trapdoor data.

rfd
10-04-2015, 06:50 PM
i have two pedersoli rollers and use both for targets only, loaded with compressed black powder and 522 grain 1:20 alloy bullets. that load will kill anything roaming north or south america from pretty far shooting distances. before moving on to the righteous holy black powder, i loaded aa5744 smokeless to high trap door velocities with either 417 or 532 grain bullets, and either of those loads will also kill any critter in our part of the world. i don't understand our hunter's functional fascination with punishing "ruger #1" loads, but to each their own.

as to the bullet and its accuracy, the rifle's twist rate can come into play. most pedi 45-70's are running 1:18 twist which is best for the heavier 405 grain and up bullets. since yer mostly a hunter, a lyman 457193 is an extremely accurate flat nose bullet that will probably stabilize better with a 1:18 twist barrel, good well out to 200 yards (as some silhouette shooters are using that bullet just for the chickens).

and lastly, heavy lead alloy travelling at slower trap door velocities is where accuracy typically lies best with the 45-70 ... and is also perfect criteria for killing critters medium and large.

EDG
10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Here is a link to Pedersoli pressure recommendations.

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/pedersoli_proof_rules_and_allowable_limits_09-04.htm